Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helldivers 2

Options
  • 18-02-2024 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,805 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone playing Helldivers 2? Looking to pick it up on PC once I've finished TLOU2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Played it all weekend it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,805 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It just looks fun.

Not buying it on PS5 because I don't want to pay for Plus again.

The loop is great, hop in and play for 15-30 mins and extract. Difficulty is balanced as well. You feel strong and at risk at the same time.

Progression is good so far. I'm unlocking lots of stuff by just playing. You can buy premium currency and buy some items but you can also earn premium currency in game. They have got that right to. It doesn't feel like a grind. It feels like you are getting the right things at the right time to make it more fun.

Heavy starship troopers vibe from the look of the bugs to the humour. But they also have a second enemy that's more terminator vibes.

And to top it off almost everyone I played with was sound and really having fun leaning into to whole tone of the game and being helpful. Will see how long that lasts 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The stratagems in the game by default on PC are WASD, but you're also using those for moving as most games do.

The Icons for the stratagems and terminals are still arrow symbols. So something to be said for using a controller even on PC where it's the d-pad and you're still able to use the 2 sticks to move and look around rather than stand there. If you change it to something else on pC then you've have to take hand off mouse and again it's not great.

There's some planets/missions where the codes are scrambled so you've to double check after you've used one before you drop it to make sure it's right and you're not about to airstrike yourself. So you're entering and re-entering them to get the right one.

Also with the keyboard controls it's hard to drop one and be running away from enemies at the same time, on controllers you can easily be sprinting away from enemies and drop an bomb or orbital on whatever's chasing you down.

I've two mice I use and one has 9 buttons and the other has 8 so can remap them easily enough. Just a matter of getting used to it.

Then you'd have WASD, tab, shift and CAPS Lock for everything else. Surely couldn't be that many more inputs needed?

• Advertisement

It's not that easy on controller. Your left thumb is running and you have to hold L1 and press the DPad to enter the code.

But I like that. Those heavy attacks have to be planned a bit. You can't just call them in rapidly.

It's not about the number of commands or buttons it's about using them at the same time, and quickly. While the inputs are just the 4 arrow symbols some are very long.

Also if you get hit while inputting them it needs to be restarted and if you get knocked down while ready to deploy it'll drop at your feet.

Like playing a rhythm game without the timing where you can't make a mistake, and playing a shooter at the same time.

A lot of PC change them to the arrows keys and take their hands off the mouse.

I tend to press the side of my thumb on the stick as I hit the d pad, don't have to be too accurate with the stick as you just need to be running away at times.

The bombers can be used quickly, for their number of uses before they've a long wait. If you've got more than one it does share a timer so having all bombers isn't great.

I've got the upgrade that gives an extra bomber use per flight so I either use 2 500kg bombs or have 3 110 rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Bought it on a whim then saw that servers weren't up and every match I was on my own. refunded it. Looks like another Palworld exp in that the devs are overwhelmed and arent able to cope with the numbers.

Does anyone in the know have any info on it being fixed soonish? will probably buy it again but without the super edition, didn't seem worth it but I don't know for certain

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

To be fair to the devs, they've been pretty up front about their server issues. The game has massively over-performed, and they simply weren't ready for the influx of players. Working hard to get the new servers spun up, and hope to have the issues resolved soon. Or so they say.

I'd love to play it, as it looks like loads of fun, but just don't have the time (or the pc) to play atm.

• Advertisement

If the servers aren't working you can't play it at all. It just gets stuck on the splash screen with a servers full message. But even then I've got in after 1-2 mins.

Are you sure you weren't dropping into matches by yourself? If you just pick one and drop it's just you. If you wait others can join it will match some in, or better still scroll around to see the ones that have 1/4 or 2/4 players loading in and join them.

Only have steam numbers but while Helldivers 1 came later to PC and might have been lower than the others than PS3/4/Vita but it's all time peak numbers on steam were ~6.7k. I think the dev though it's be 10-20k peak.

Current peak for 2 on steam only is 388k which is both it's all time and last 24 hours so it's still growing with 368k on the 10m peak.

Dev said it's almost 50:50 PS5 vs PC with PS5 getting a bit more, and from playing that seems about right I meet slightly more PS5 players.

No point buying the super edition, you can buy the paid pass in game. By the time you've unlocked a few 100s SC off the free pass you'd have picked up the rest ingame and I do mean picked up it's not a exp at the end type of thing you've to find it and pick it up.

You can play the mini game on someone elses ship but you'll only bother once, the title get's replaced sooner or later, the SMG isn't as good as the free version, and the paid season pass is easily earnable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McFly85

Bought it over the weekend, currently going through FF7R again ahead of Rebirth, had planned to give it a go after that.

Did the tutorial last night but matchmaking was basically broken as it wasn’t possible to join any games with random people. According to the subreddit the discord channel is the best way to go to go to get quick friend requests to get into a game. Might try that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McFly85

Finally managed to get a couple of games in at lunch(Sunday and Monday night I was hitting a wall of server issues), it’s really good fun. I rarely play multiplayer games with randoms but the people I’ve played with were pretty sound. Definitely think it helps that it’s all PvE.

Shooting is weighty, games are just long enough to keep things interesting and it’s pretty funny too. Hope they can sort the server issues out so I don’t have to take breaks from work to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭CptMonkey

Haven't been able to even get 1 game of this yet which is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭brady12

I love it but not gotten in last two nights 🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got to play a bit of this last night. Does nobody play Earth Defense Force at all because this is just Earth Defense Force for normies. It really feels the same right down to the roll dodge. However I don't mean that in a derogatory way, it's a lot of fun has a bit of the madness of EDF but with way more polish. It's great. With EDF6 delayed I might just pick this up.

Getting in past the loading screen or into an actual game?

The waiting isn't a queue so it's a coin flip every 30seconds, but Joining friends from PlayStation home screen seems to work better. You get a black screen until it's on but works eventually

Also being in game in rest mode let's you straight back in when you Turn on.

Starting your own game helps things along for matchmaking.

I think the Devs said something about looking at removing people who are inactive because they are just blocking server space.

People on Reddit saying they are staying logged in for days at a time so they keep the spot likely not helping.

• Advertisement

I didn't realise.

The major order win 8 campaigns (defend the automaton attack)

This is not you winning 8 times, but the overall campaign everyone contributed to. Keep the blue bars above the red. So play once per day and do your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Bought it last Friday, played one short game with a friend, seemed like a good game. Have not been able to play since, tried Friday night, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and last night...servers full, take a hike! Can't refund as I bought on CDkeys. I would not advise anyone to buy the game for now.

I read somewhere (Reddit maybe) that the server problem is not just a matter of throwing more capacity at it, the server code does not scale very well at the moment so needs to be redeveloped. That suggests it could take some time for a fix.

Really annoys me that they are still selling the game, they could at least put up a warning before you buy that the game is likely unplayable, at least it is for me. Steam reviews are now 'Mixed', almost entirely down to the servers (and the over the top anti-cheat software), no one is really complaining about the gameplay.

I don't buy the argument that Helldivers 1 only have 7k players at it's max, they are not the same game. They invested a hell of a lot more money developing HD2, they are different games with the same name, they would have expected more players...granted not the volumes they are getting.

So finally got to play this tonight and it is great fun. Its nice to play an online shooter that is fun to play and not major sweat fest even if it gets proper hard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Picked up the game today, had a few games earlier. Tried to get on tonight, had to wait about 10 mins to get in but wasn't to bad.

But then everytime I'm dropping in the hellpod for a mission the game crashes.

Gave up after about an hour and 5 crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I definitely wouldn't buy this on PC, personally I think they will get there in the end but its a total mess atm.

Played a good bit last night. The more I play the better it gets. Really helps teaming up with players of a higher level who know what they are doing.

Best fun I have had I ages. Reminds me of the old battlefield desert combat times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Was a little better last night. Able to play a few games with randoms

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Haven't played in over a week as I couldn't get in last Thursday , so just left it, was having a lot of fun with it though, might try again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I got this on PS5 during the week. First night there is a delay getting onto a server of about 15 mins.

I have played a little every night this week and no problems getting in. It is a little glitchy matchmaking.

Server issues aside it is brilliant fun. Grumpypants review captures it exactly. Short blasts, fun but tough in the right measure. If you get it with a good squad, or even just 1 person who will lead the squad, it is fantastic.

• Advertisement

They are ( or have) introducing a 15 min AFK kick that might help clear the server hogs back to their ships.

I got in easier last night but still had issues seeing friends online. Definitely made a difference to use the Join button on the playstation main menu to join friends directly rather than any in game flow.

I bought a €5 worth of super credits too to get enough for the premium battle pass. It was easy to earn 100 credits per page in warbonds. But after page 6 it drops to 50 credits for 20 warbonds and there is better in game stuff to spend them on.

I'm sure that's exactly what they planned. 😋

Advertisement