Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV v Saloon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Do you think many SUV drivers actively seek to hit road users? Or do you just not understand the word "accident"?

Here's what Mike Berners-Lee in his book How Bad Are Bananas? The Carbon Footprint of Everything has to say about SUVs -

"A new Range-Rover or SUV could eat up to ten years' of a five-tonne [CO2] lifestyle before you even drive it"

"A common myth is that huge four-wheel drive gas guzzlers are safer for their occupants. This is generally not true. They are, however, more dangerous for everyone else on the road [...] Any supposed safety advantage in a crash comes at the expense of whoever you crash into."

"Vehicle emissions in the UK have not decreased at anything like the scale we might have hoped for 10 years ago - and the reason for that is too many people buy SUVs rather than efficient smart cars."

"Big SUVs are totally unnecessary for doing the school run or any other activities in a British city."

It's a free world of course. But (a) climate change is real and (b) it's more important than anything else at the moment, including you. So I think that put a bit of context on any decision to buy an SUV is maybe needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It's a specific use case and somehow the OP doesn't seem like they will have an issue getting in & out of a car

Now if they posted they are 75 years old and retired, like my parents, I would recommend a small crossover because it is perfect fo them and they don't have to bring kids etc

To point out that your post I was replying to is wrong?

And to add to the discussion in general?

You could read the post and engage in the points made if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Berners-Lee is talking about Range Rovers or proper SUVs.

The op is looking for a second hand family car.

• Advertisement

Yes - and is considering an SUV...?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bosco26

Jumping onboard this discussion as trying to decide on a family car. Think we have settled on Skoda and looking at saloon. Currently looking at Skoda Superb, 122 BHP, diesel 2.0, 2021 - would this be suitable? Or would the 1.6 petrol hybrid be of better long term value? Travelling 40km to and from work everyday and some country travel intermittently during the month at the weekends. Thanks in advance

Yes but not a big one.

You're trying to guilt him for considering what is basically a saloon car with notions.

They mentioned a 5008 which is not a SUV, it is a crossover.

My main question was about 7 seater which at the moment if required you are extremely limited on options.

You posted: "Big SUVs are totally unnecessary for doing the school run or any other activities in a British city."

Yet if you require 7 seats what options are available? it is a market full of Crossovers, the MPV of old like the Touran are not gone from the market.

Diesel is not really required for that type of driving, of course plenty of people have bought diesels over the years for that type of driving but really depending on budget a PHEV with 30-50km range might be a great job.

People should buy what suits their needs best, if that is diesel/petrol/electric etc

You posted about SUV and the person is not buying a SUV, you are posting about the UK and I don't live in UK and I doubt the OP does either.

I am conscience of the environment and could hazard a guess I do more than you. But some of the over the top nonsense at this stage is driving people away from protecting the environment instead of getting them to protect

I don't think so. Berners-Lee refers to "A Range Rover or SUV". The OP is talking about an SUV, and even if it's a small one, the environmental impact is a consideration.

• Advertisement

"You are posting about the UK and I don't live in UK and I doubt the OP does either."

Do you think Ireland is that much different?

"I am conscience of the environment and could hazard a guess I do more than you."

Hazard a guess away. You're just engaging in speculation to make yourself feel better, given you know nothing about me. Are you often that certain about things you know nothing about?

"But some of the over the top nonsense at this stage is driving people away from protecting the environment instead of getting them to protect"

What over the top nonsense specifically?

The OP said the car was for four people, so not sure why you felt the need to bring 7-seaters into things. In that context, it seems sensible to caution against an SUV (even a crossover) when it's not needed. As indeed, other posters have also done.

Why would I need to feel better? 😂 based on what I have seen most peopel who waffle about the environment online do f**k all about it in their own life. Just an assumption but I certainly don't have to feel better/worse based on a chat on a forum 😉

People buy 7 seaters for multiple reasons, if they plan to have another child a 5008 gives you 3 full car seats in the second row and also space to bring a friend. The 5008 is an excellent version of that and hence why I asked the question if they required 7 seats.

What over the top nonsense specifically?

below

it's more important than anything else at the moment, including you

Its off topic anyway, the OP should buy what suits their requirements, if thats a 7 seater diesel guzzling SUV then so be it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

SUV's came into being in the US to circumvent emissions regulations, light trucks with passenger bodies did not have to meet the same emissions standards as regular cars.

The OP is talking about a Peugeot 5008, a front wheel drive 7 seat family car, a tall estate with ever so slightly rugged styling, a crossover. It isn't the first cousin of an actual SUV, it's a derivative of a C segment hatchback and not a light truck.

The OP's budget and the models he's,looking at point towards the Tucson/Kuga/Rav4 sector.

You must be able to differentiate between that type of car and the Range Rover.

Also he is buying secondhand so the car is already in the national fleet so it's not as if he might add a particular car to those already on the road.

The Octavia and the 5008 make for a great comparison to show how little difference there is, first in pictures

and in numbers

More or less the same footprint, the Octavia is actually longer, the 5008 has a marginal weight penalty but for that you get the possibility of 2 extra seats or significant extra cargo space which I think was the reason the OP was considering a 5008.

The weight is a proxy for the amount of materials contained in the car and puts paid to the idea that there is significantly more embodied carbon in one versus the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

You're fortunate then. Not everyone is the same as you.

I am, don't worry. Though I think the ones you mention wouldn't exactly come under the fuel efficient category the OP (in fairness) references?

The second-hand point is reasonable - it's probably not entirely negligible either as it'll feed into changing the national fleet way too quickly. But that's a matter for a completely different thread of course.

You disagree with my suggestion the environment is more important than you? That's the "nonsense" you were referring to?

And if the OP has any consideration for their children, then no, they shouldn't buy a 7-seater diesel guzzling SUV.

You seem to personalise things a bit much when you're challenged (my comment is nonsense but no reason why; you're more environmentally conscious than me but no reason why; you think I'm waffling online but no reason why) and don't seem inclined towards engaging in actual discussion (eg your comments on SUV safety).

On that basis, I'll leave you at that so.

The difference in economy is a factor but some of those cars come with a hybrid option .

When you buy secondhand you don't order a car. The car you buy is already sitting waiting to be sold.

A well minded car can easily have a usable life of 12 to 15 years so those cars are going to be around for quite a while.

As they make their way down the chain they'll be finding buyers at every level.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kgroarke

Only need 5 right now

• Advertisement

diesel guzzling SUV

Hyperbole much, it's a choice between a Skoda Octavia or Peugeot 5008, fuel consumption is broadly comparable for equivalently powered models, about 60mpg in old money for the lower power output diesels, you'd swear the OP was considering a Humvee over a Renault Twizzy with your hysteria

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Speedline

Liftback/hatchback or estate. You'll fit a hell of a lot into a lift back with the seats down. A saloon is fairly restrictive if you often carry awkward loads.

Suvs are for women and old men imo.

Don't need the extra seats right now but could do if we have a third child. I like the skoda superb/octavia sportline models, but you give up the higher drive position.

There is a roughly 5k difference in price in a 2021 year between the 5008 and superb/octabia SL so u suppose it comes down to whether it would be worth the extra money.

Would also have concerns about the resale value of the 5008 if I were to clock up 50-60k miles and need to sell it on in 3 or 4 years. I think the skoda or Vw could hold up better possibly...?

Interesting comparison.

Not a huge difference in economy either, main difference seems to be you pay slightly more for the same year in the bigger 5008 ... and for that you get a huge boot (with 5 seats only in use) and higher driving position. You do get slightly less mpg but not by much as most will be motorway miles.

So Really it comes down to preference as I don't think I will be saving the planet by choosing the estate/saloon!

Yeah, there's more air inside the 5008, achieved with a higher roof but otherwise there's very little to differentiate between them. Given a choice of which I'd want to drive with no other constraints, it'd probably be the Skoda but we all have constraints. Just remember on the load space, it's only in the height that you gain, length and width is much the same.

Not really a fan of SUV styling but have been very appreciative of the high seating position in the past but in an MPV, I sold an e39 BMW at the time because I couldn't get in and out of it, thankfully I've made a good recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bosco26

Thanks @Clo-Clo

If I was to go ahead with the Superb with 122 BHP, would any of you forsee a lack of power for over taking on country roads for example. It is a heavy car. Would the 1.6 petrol be quicker in this aspect? Thanks

I would go for the bigger engine. I had a Passat a few years ago and it struggled, I actually found fuel usage was higher because of the lack of power. I moved up to the higher engine and it was a lot smoother and easier. Now that was a long time ago but it is not always necessary to go with a smaller engine to save fuel.

Especially if you need a bit of poke to get around tractors etc on back roads. I know all about that in our area as you have limited passing spots.

Best to run it for a test drive and see how they go. Just keep in mind what sort of driving you do, also with kids I bring along the car seats and chuck them into the back, even if not connecting, just for no surprises

I also brought a pram once, we had the Out n About Double and feck the sales man took some look at me when I was throwing it into the boot but I had to liev with the car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭goochy

122 bhp is too little for a big car .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Not as the driver of an SUV or X-Over I find the height of them to be an absolute pain, and do think it's a self fulfilling problem. As more people find they can't see over the bonnet of the SUV that pulls alongside and blocks their view the more they decide that they want an SUV X-Over. Why not all just drive minibuses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭djan

Ignore the sh!te spouted about the big bad SUVs, the 5008 you're also considering has pretty much same footprint, weight and consumption will be more drivetrain dependent even if the 5008 is less aerodynamic. I would go for the Superb estate in a high spec as it will be a more premium car and hold it's value much better. If most of your driving is motorway, go for the 2L diesel and you'll get great mix of driveability and low consumption.

Advertisement