Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union Jack in Ireland? **Mod Note In Post #59**

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Your post confirms what I already stated - you know nothing about me (except for the fact that I speak Irish, which I told you myself), and I am going to provide you with a further piece of information: to wit, I am extremely sure in my identity.

if the symbol of a British flag up on a British embassy in Ireland causes such strong resentment in you

Regarding this, I went back through the thread to find where I had expressed an opinion on the Butcher's Apron flying outside the British embassy, as I couldn't remember saying anything like that. And lo and behold, I couldn't find the comment. Maybe you could enlighten me?

It looks to me, with all your long posts and multiple links, that 'tis maybe yersel' who is unsure of their identity, rather than me who you claim to be "a very insecure woman in your identity", which is as much of a put down as anything I have seen on Boards. Which I will ignore and not report at this juncture precisely because of how secure my identity is.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bob Marley Park

I think wearing them as jockey shorts is a bit disrespectful, but to each his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

But since you asked, here the two posts on this thread which you referred to the "Butcher's Apron". If which I remember correctly, started my interaction with you. Where you replied to one of my posts to another poster.

Post 76 by yourself 16th February 7.20pm:

And again....

Post 81 by yourself on the same day 8.11pm :

You seem to be very disingenuous if this is how you conduct a debate. You were definitely the first person to use the term "Butcher's apron" on this thread to refer to the Union Jack.

--

And anyway you did not answer my original question.

So I will repeat it again.

How would react if the @dierdremf British equivalent living in London had the same reaction to the Irish tricolour flying on the Irish embassy in London 17 Grosvenor Place?

Further disingenuousness will do you no favours.

--

Perhaps you could enlighten me why you felt the need to attempt to be disingenuous about your reference to the "Butcher's Apron"? Are you denying the reference, or not proud of it?

--

It is not lost on me that today is the day former RTE journalist Charlie Bird died. This was a man who felt the physical force from those with a similar mentality as yourself.

In 2006 Mr Bird was badly assaulted and called "an orange bastard" in Dublin City Centre.

It is speculated that this assault caused his subsequent degenerative condition.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9493170/

The man who perpetrated the assault on Charlie Bird also said -

"Fenian 'Free State' bastards, I'll kill you all" at gardaí who arrested him.

This is where a bigoted mentality using phrases such as "Butcher's Apron" ultimately leads. Indoctrination taken to it's fullest extent.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The butchers apron is a common colloquial term for the union jack, used to reference the bloodshed that occurred in Ireland in the name of British colonialism. It literally references the blood of Irish people that stained the British flag.

To reference the Irish tricolour in the same manner is disingenuous, although there are plenty of slurs the British use to slander the Irish anyway. Let's remember that the tricolour has never been used to dominate another group of people, commit genocide or use in serfdom.

To forget terms like 'butchers apron' would be to ignore history and the Irish culture of facetiousness and that is not a good thing either.

Our memories of history can ease with time, but should not be forgotten.

BTW, I have no issue with the British flag being flown, but strongly believe that St Patrick's cross should be removed from it... The union jack still brags about their ownership of Ireland, and that narrative needs to end.... in good will

I'm still waiting for you to point out where I mentioned the British Embassy.

Re the Butcher's Apron - you must live a very retiring life if you haven't come across this name for that flag before, you know, the flag of the country that has invaded most countries in the world. That usually involves killing people, which is why the flag is called the Butcher's Apron.

• Advertisement

You were referring to the British flag as the Butcher's Apron which is an archaic pejorative as you well know.

You also have have referenced it in this thread which implies that you view the the British flag as such.

And therefore the British flag on the Irish embassy itself. It is implicit in your reference, as discussion on this thread involves that very subject matter in the OP.

But you know that. And just wanted to continue with the pretence because you did not wish to answer a simple question. Which speaks to your mentally.

So I will ask again (in vain hope of a coherent and cogent reply)

1) Why do you view the British flag as the "Butcher's apron"? There are only certain types of people who use that phrase.

2) If that is your frame of reference - what would your view be of the "@deirdemf British equivalent"? A person who has a similar negative emotional reaction to the Irish tricolour on The Irish Embassy in London.

They are not difficult questions, unless answering it makes you feel uncomfortable. The next question you have to ask is - Why?

You were the first person on this thread to reference "The Butcher's Apron" as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Personally I see the term Butchers Apron quite apt . I have absolutely no problem with it .

Is it not a Republican perforative though? Which is rarely used today.

If the Irish Tricolour was referred to "The Taig's flag" how do you think that would play with people?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Doesn’t bother me

I don't believe you because if there was a British site about being offended about the tricolour on the London Embassy you would think it was a bit odd at the very least.

In my opinion if people think using pejorative's to describe flag's is the norm. It seriously says something about some people's insecurities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

Completely agree, there is nothing taunting about flying a flag, it's an effing flag!

The irony is that those who 'feel' taunted by the flying of a flag are the ones who are actually taunting by using pejorative terms to describe it.

Staggering heights of immaturity, insecurity, and ignorance.

Exactly, you put it more succinctly and to the point, than I did.

No one who see's no problem with such pejorative's has really explained why they feel the need to use them. And how it makes them feel when they use them? Does it make them feel "more Irish" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

It just makes them feel a part of an ignorant group think mob.

No different to the Ireland for the Irish crowd.

Do you have a problem with republicans? How about other Irish nationalists?

As for the comments about the Irish flag, well maybe you haven't yet noticed that they are burnt on huge pyres all over the 6 counties during the summer, pyres that are adorned with comments such as "fukk the pope" and "KAT" (kill all taigs). It's part of their culture doncha know.

1) Why do you view the British flag as the "Butcher's apron"? There are only certain types of people who use that phrase.

2) If that is your frame of reference - what would your view be of the "@deirdemf British equivalent"? A person who has a similar negative emotional reaction to the Irish tricolour on The Irish Embassy in London.

I already answered no 1. It's the flag of the country that has invaded almost every other country in the world, and in almost all cases, killed people there. It's the flag of the country that invaded Ireland over and over again and murdered hundreds of thousands of Irish people too while forcing millions of Irish people to emigrate. I don't know why I'm repeating myself here, as you responded to that post.

But maybe you could tell us why you needed to repeat the question when a very clear answer was provided. Or did you just use the "question" to pigeonhole me into a space for people you don't like? Then again, maybe you don't get out much, and aren't aware of just how common the phrase is outside of your own circles.

I have no opinion on the official use of the Butcher's Apron on British official buildings, it's up to them whether they fly it or not. I didn't mention the British Embassy, but you seem to be trying to attach comments to me that I have not made for some purpose that isn't very clear.

As for the "negative emotional reaction", I have commented on people like that, such as the ones who fly them from pyres every summer. Let them at it**, if they have nothing better to do. I know nothing about you, other than your comments on this forum but you come across as one of those people. Enjoy your hatred while you can ....

**O'Neill's in Strabane probably have a special production line to produce tricolour flags for unionists to burn, the more of them they burn, the more teagues will be employed!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bob Marley Park

The Empire has a bit of a reputation for bloodshed, it's fair to say.

Advertisement