Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union Jack in Ireland? **Mod Note In Post #59**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He can do what he wants as long as he isn't deliberately trying to taunt somebody.

This was an incident involving one or two people - it isn't 'typical' of anything therefore. You'll get the same reaction to the tricolour on this island or the Palestinian flag or indeed the Israeli one, if it used to taunt. And you'll get a reaction to it even if it is being used in an official or respectful way. The US flag will provoke reaction if used to taunt too. Any flag will.

I fully and roundly condemn the use of any flag or symbol to taunt including the flag of my own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SYMETAL

It's not illegal but it is frowned upon 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Do you you agree with the person in Donegal hanging the union flag outside his property, yes or no?

And when you say you condemn the "use of any flag or symbol to taunt including the flag of my own country" (Ireland), can you give an example of when it was used to taunt? Do you mean for example by terrorists eg pira, inla?

I could give two hoots that a guy in Donegal decides to hang the UJ, the COI church my children attend here in the south has the UJ displayed in the church,...so what?

It's a flag, I raised my children to see them for what they are. I am not in the slightest concerned that they will witness it hung somewhere.

I mean by anyone who does it. What don't you understand about it being used to 'taunt', we have countless examples of it on this island after all. A whole summer of burning flags and bedecking the place in the colours of a flag, by both sides.

I condemn that behaviour whosoever engages in it. You defend it by your constant 'look over there' excusing.

So you have no problem with someone flying the union flag in the Republic. That is settled, so. As regards the union flag in a C of I south of the border, most if not all C of I south of the border do not actually have union flags, as it goes against CoI polity. According to their own rules the only flag allowed to be flown is St. Patrick’s saltire. You sure you are not thinking of a C of I church north of the border, where possibly some of the congregation would have served / died in its forces / police ?

You say you condemn the "use of any flag or symbol to taunt including the flag of my own country" (Ireland), can you give an example of when the Irish flag was used to taunt?

• Advertisement

The church is south of the border and to my knowledge the UJ is still on display there. A large part of it's congregation would be from Fermanagh so that probably explains it. It offends nobody so let them at it.

When a tricolour is displayed at interface areas would be one example, when kerbs are painted in green white and orange etc.

Fair enough. I would not be a fan of painting kerbstones and the like (eg flags at interface areas) either. If flags are flown in a respectful manner, not to taunt, then ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Indeed, Lie back and think of England. Now where have we heard that one before!

And the poster berates me for writing in English, well I am happy to continue to debate with them on a thread in the Gaeilge forum if they set one up.

As for me following English pop culture, well, sorry, it's not really my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I get it now you are from somewhere like South Armagh similar to Crossmaglen in mentality? If so that is an extremely difficult engrained attitude to change. Almost impossible unless you got "deprogrammed". As you are no doubt strongly indoctrinated given your hyperbolic/antagonistic/archaic terminology "Butcher's Apron" etc all because of two words "Union Jack". In doing so are really playing up to the stereotype of NI people/hardline republican's who have a very narrow view of the world when it comes down to it.

So would be very difficult to step back from your illogical fear of the Union Jack if you have that background. But that in itself is a past time up there, major hang up's on symbolism. Playing on insecurities.

The Monaghan hotelier in Donegal really has you and people like you twigged entirely, and knows how to draw you out to make fools of yourselves. And shows up how twisted the mentality is. And dare I say childish.

But fortunately for you the thread is discussing the Union Jack being hung in Ireland not NI. In the ROI bar maybe the border counties and lower socio demographic areas in Dublin etc) people are much more enlightened, and their world is not based on narrow symbolism. So it should not really concern you if you are from NI. You can do your own thing up there the usual pantomime that both sides do.

But thankfully the majority of this island has long move past their insecurities, it is a much bigger jump for you which is understandable. But there is hope. Give it a generation or two after you each one normally becomes more enlightened, and less bigoted.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

You are just trying to patronise the poster here.

You will get a reaction here if the UJ is used to taunt, or is turned into the butcher's apron in other words.

Irish people will react strongly to attempts to whitewash our history the way you do GDG.

They have zero issue with a modern friendly relationship with the British and the British establishment but don't try to taunt or whitewash what happened.

See what happened when a few TD's and Ministers tried to whitewash/forget what the black and tans did here. Such was the uproar that we saw the quickest about face ever in Irish politics and something that actually affected a parties vote in the GE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

Millions of Irish people were colonial administrators? Source?

I don't think you understand how few colonial administrators there were? The East India Company were famously able to hold down India with relatively few officials and soldiers.

The 'narrative' of Irish complicity with the British Empire seems to just grow and grow unchecked in people's imaginations.

Besides which the chief collaborators with the British Empire were Indians. The British sent masses of Indian colonists/immigrants to settle Fiji, Trinidad and Tobago, parts of Africa etc. and other places which ended in Indians being ethnically cleansed from Fiji and Uganda by post-colonial regimes.

Gandhi was famously a civil rights activist in South Africa but....what was he doing there is the first place? He moved there to represent an Indian merchant in a lawsuit.

Personally I don't think flying a Union Jack from a Donegal hotel is provocative. At least I don't feel provoked.

In India the police and security services got involved when a man flew a Union Jack from his house recently, and India is of course a democracy.

"The incident took place in Kichha town about three days ago, triggering protests by local residents, including families of freedom fighters, who termed it as an "anti-national, colonial act""

"The flag was subsequently removed, he added. Singh was booked under IPC sections 153-A (promoting enmity between different groups), 268 (public nuisance) and 504 (intentional insult) following a police complaint by locals."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The British flag in Ireland is like flying a German flag in Poland. At least Germany were defeated and said sorry.

The Brits still occupy the north of Ireland, conquered and planted for hundreds of year's. When you give it back you'll be welcome to fly your flag anywhere. Until then keep it away please.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The British flag in Ireland is like flying a Soviet flag in Poland.

Fyp

You do realise history is more complex than your narrow sole viewpoint. Also you seem a small bit ignorant on history even if your premise of Poland hating the "German flag" was true.

The fact is various versions of Germany has gone through numerous changes over the years -

Holy Roman Empire

Weimar Republic flag

The Nazi Flag

East German Flag (DDR)

West German flag

If anything based on your hypothesis using the phrase German flag you should instead be referring to "East Germany".

--

However, your premise that Poland "hates" the "German flag" as is collapses when you look at Poland in an EU context the three dominate states in the EU were at one time France, Germany and the UK. They all voted to allow Poland to become part of the EU. If people had your attitude there would have been no EEC, no EU, no economic market etc. People would be that entreched and bigoted that they would refuse to work together in the goal of the European Economic project.

Poland is also in the EU with Lithuania with whom it has to work closely.

Poland have had a certain turbulent history with each other over the years. Stretching way back. Most recently at the time of WWI

The conflict between Poland and Lithuania has gone way back even in the 1400's

https://www.thesecondworldwar.org/interbellum-1918-1936/upheaval-in-europe/poland-reborn/polish-lithuanian-war/1919-polish-coup-d-etat

Should the Lithuanians feel the same way about the Polish flag? You see where I am going with my counter argument. Your narrow line of thought and irrational fear, is much less likely to lead to cooperation between nation states to form the EU. It would only lead to dissent, conflict and ultimately war. Which the EU was created to prevent.

Also it is not lost on me that Sinn Fein went from a staunchly anti-EU stance based on sovereignty ironically it was in line with the likes of Nigel Farage. Who sneered at the EU in Brussels as MEP.

However, Sinn Fein changed on the EU in the 1990's but has now positioned itself as an active more positive participant in Europe. Most notably launching the career of Mary Lou McDonald as MEP when Sinn Fein realised it's potential for soft power, profile and votes.

--

How would the EU look if it banned national flags in chambers if there was any previous conflict between them? It would completely go against the ethos of the project of shared culture and economic freedom. Should all flags from National embassy's be banned for fear of offending another nation?

--

As for the Ad hominem argument that many use comparing the Union Jack to the Nazi flag (which conveniently ignores the much more complex intertwined relationship British and Irish culture have jurisprudence, music etc ). it might surprise many that the Swastika symbol is thousands of years old. It is a symbol of peace

It is still used in the Hindu religion -

The Buddists still use the Swaitka as a sign of peace as well in their temples

--

I won't mention Sean Russell again though.

--

If people are negatively hung up on symbols it only leads to more negativity, more division and more conflict in the long run. It is just based on psychological insecurity where rather than person having confidence in themselves and their "own" symbols. There is the counter reaction when faced with a symbol they view as "other'.

Thankfully, the world is not full of bigots otherwise the world would cease to function.

If the world had the attitude of the small-minded bigots on this thread -

There would be no trade between differing communities or nations.

There would no be shared cultures music, arts etc.

There would be no travel to other nations for work or even holiday. Foreigners would be banned.

Ultimately there would be no peace with that attitude.

Here is a picture of the Irish embassy 17 Grosvenor Place London (on google maps) you will see the Irish Tricolour flying beside the EU flag.

What would posters say about British people in London who say the tricolour should be taken down as is offensive etc.

If there was a debate on a British "boards.ie" equivalent about removing the tricolour from the Irish Embassy in London what would people think of such a mindset?

-

I am excluding NI deliberately because both sides up there have warped mentalities, symbols are the real ""pastime"/sport" up there.

-

The reality is people in London would not give a damn about the tricolour flying in at the Irish embassy in London. It is normal. London is multicultural city. It even hold's an annual St Patricks day Parade, tricolours flying no bother. Here is one from 2016.

Yet people on this thread are worried about a Union Jack flying in Ireland. Are you not embarrassed?

In a strange way a predictable cohort on this have some sort of perverse pride is "hating" or worrying about the Union Jack. An odd mentality.

Small minded, bigoted, insecure in their own identity? That is what those Indians are. The Stereotypical Republican Crossmaglen mentality.

Nothing wrong with a UJ here either unless it is used to taunt.

The equivalent would be someone in the UK draping a tricolour over a memorial to soldiers killed here.

Stop talking rubbish GDG.

You'd get the exact same reaction in London if the tricolour is used to taunt.

@gormdubhgorm "Also it is not lost on me that Sinn Fein went from a staunchly anti-EU stance based on sovereignty ironically it was in line with the likes of Nigel Farage."

SF's stance on the EU predated Nigel Farage's involvement in politics.

Though half-forgotten now a faction of the (British) Labour Party including Hugh Gaitskell and Tony Benn were opposed to EU membership initially.

As someone else corrected me flying the British flag in Ireland is like flying the soviet flag in an eastern European country including Poland. Considering you're a jack I'd understand if you decide to defend the Brits here. I won't take offence.

• Advertisement

In Glasgow, another part of the UK, the tricolour is flown quite a bit ; some would say to taunt. But still flown. And thats ok. If someone wants to fly a flag, there are worse things they could be doing,I suppose. Doing so to attract tourists, respect tourists is ok.

Read what I wrote. My point was the mainland European Countries had Empires and millions of Irish people played their part in helping administering the British Empire. Yes it was millions, over the years, because so much of the British army along, to say nothing of navy, administration, railways etc were Irish. Part of the Union Flag is the St. Patricks cross. The red saltire represents St Patrick the patron saint of Ireland. The native population in Australia, New Zealand, Canada or wherever did not care if the new settler was from Liverpool or Dublin, was all the same to him or her.

You need to learn your history and expand your horizons a small bit, that is your main issue. It appears you did not even read my previous post the nuanced arguments I raised. But that is more a reflection on yourself either that, or it went way over your head. I have already explained how it is a false premise and ad hominem argument no matter what flag you wish to conjure up and say flying the British flag in Ireland is like "xyz"

Your very small minded mentality is similar to a commenter on a youtube video of General Richard Mulcahy.

Poster A) I never had or have much time for west brits. --

Poster B) "What do you mean by that comment ??"

Poster C) He means Mulcahy's clipped accent. FYI, Mulcahy was born in Waterford, son of a post master, and educated by Christian Brothers in Thurles. Irish accents of this time were mixed, often clipped for college educated Catholics. Just listen to old RTÉ recordings.

Poster D) done the dirty work of Churchill oversaw the execution of 70 of his former comrades and lived a comfortable life there after

Poster E) Erskine childers also had a upper class english accent.

--

It is perfect example of a small minded mentality of people one which has a very narrow blinkered outlook. The type which even decries Irishmen as "lesser" in some way just by virtue of the fact that they speak articulately and clearly!

Only such a mentality would have an aversion to the British flag flying in the ROI on the British embassy. And I would argue it is probably worse than the mentality of those who are ant-foreigner and say "Ireland is full" Because it is even another stage of narrow mindedness beyond that.

Dare I say it is a begrudging sort of odd "caste system" created in blinkered minds. Yet ironically no doubt you would be "anti-partitionist".

But what use is a United Ireland when you partition people of Ireland in your mind. It is hardly Paidraig Pearse's all inclusive vision for his "cherishing all the children of the nation equally," is it?

--

It is an attitude of the parish pump a bygone age, Human progress would never improve if the world did not trade engage and share ideas. It is not lost on me the the social media we are now conversing on is thanks to "Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee" - a British man. And a knighted British man at that! He received it Because of his work in computer science. The inventor of the internet! Maybe we should stop using it?

Or maybe we should stop all foreign direct investment throw the American's out as well? Google throw them out sure what good are they? We shouldn't use that either?

Is that the mentality you want?

--

I am surprised you accepted Colm O'Rourke into Meath a - Leitrim man. O'Rourke a clan from the Kingdom of of Breifne. Established by the 9th century after numerous wars.

And overtime they even invaded parts of Meath, By the 12th century under Tighearnán Ua Ruairc.

By your logic there should be riots in Meath if anyone saw a Cavan or Leitrim flag flying, as that is what the Kingdom of Breifne became.

In the 16th century Breifne O'Rourke eventually became County Leitrim, and Breifne O'Reilly became County Cavan. I am sure you know plenty of O'Reilly's/Reilly they are descendants of the larger Breifne kingdom, now called Cavan.

How far back and how narrow do you want to go? Fundamentally it is the same mentality. Localised close-mindedness and bigotry.

It's quite simple. British flag still flies over the north of are Ireland and until the colonial planters **** off the British flag will be frowned upon. It was only 100+ years ago the whole island was under their thumb. Like I said no better then flying a soviet or russian flag in Poland. It wouldn't be welcomed.

You know nothing about me, and you are so far from the mark that I bet you were thrilled when Charlie Flanagan decided to that it would be a good idea to commemorate the Black and Tans. Charlie, the man who single-handedly turned FG's fortunes around in January 2020 and made SF the biggest party in the Dáil. A right Charlie he is, indeed ....

As was the Irish Labour Party, apparently. Likely enough they were bought off somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

But harsh on reflection maybe?

The Union flag combines three Saints into one flag, which is in itself a neat touch. Saint Patrick (Ireland) is the red saltire white background, Saint Andrew (Scotland) white saltire with blue background & finally with Saint George (England) Red Cross with white backing. Aesthetically intricate & meaningful, Unfortunately Saint David (Wales) doesn't appear cus it's a principality & not a country. Different to a Tricolour that's for sure 😃

A rather Saintly flag

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well we might not know much about you…. But we know you don’t know your history very well and you’re either easily lead or deliberately spreading misinformation! And all from a single post.

Oh so that horrible flag has something in common with that religion so many have suffered in the name of. I'm sure there's some good intentions behind the soviet and nazi flag too but it's not what it'll represent to those it oppressed.

• Advertisement

I won't get into the the RIC debate that is off topic to this particular thread. But you would be unwilling to analysis the more uncomfortable truths such as how Éamonn Ceannt's father (for example) was a member of the RIC it goes back to the 1800's.

--

From what I do know of you seem to be a very insecure woman in your identity and has an interest in the Irish language. Personally I think all education should be done through Irish - as symbolism is no use - that is a game a play with Irish in NI in particular on both sides. But again this is off topic.

What it is relevant to is "symbolism" it seems to strongly tie into your identity as a person - if the symbol of a British flag up on a British embassy in Ireland causes such strong resentment in you, it really makes me question how secure you are in your own identity, however.

You seem to make it into such a major symbolic issue. When the average person on the street in Ireland would not be a bit perturbed by it. It is the British embassy after all.

You seem ultra defensive in your replies. Before it was "Butcher's Apron", now it is "you know nothing about me" and are randomly ranting about political parties in the ROI you don't like.

Notably, you seem to obfuscate when asked direct questions. that would make me question if your viewpoint is healthy over all. Your form of nationalism is more a hyper patriotic one. If the world had the same attitude as (what psychologists/sociologists call strong "in group/out group" bias) it would be a very divisive place

If everyone had your attitude so strongly the world would be a very divided and bitter place. If Ireland sees a British Flag on their own embassy as some form of threat there is something wrong with you in my opinion. Deep seated issues. Because then your form of self identity seems to be more the exclusion of others rather than inclusivity. A negative form of self identity. Rather than a positive one.

You seem to have no confidence in yourself as an individual and seem to depend on "your group" for your identity

You are definitely strong on the "them v us" as per the social identity theory.

--

I would again posit a question to you turning it 180 degrees, should the English in London feel offended by the tricolour hanging on the Irish embassy in London?

What would you make of the @deirdremf British equivalent who takes grave offence to the tricolour flying on the Irish embassy in London ?

Would you consider it productive? Rational? What would it say about the person?

Prejudiced perhaps?

--

You would be much better off thinking of yourself in a broader context in my opinion.

Diogenes Laertius, 6.63, on Diogenes the Cynic (4th Century BCE)

“When asked where he was from, he said “I am a world-citizen.”

Advertisement