Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

It hasn't occured to you that MNC's what the job here (and import employees to do them) so that they can slash training budgets and undermine the wages and conditions for local employees who's jobs they have yet to off-shore? We all know why the MNC's are such enthusiasts for open borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Almost ALL multinationals have employees that are working "remotely" to where their primary business is done - it's been this way for years - the clue is in the category of oranisation they are.

They've ALWAYS had the ability to "offshore" jobs from the country the business is done in, that's what they are doing with Ireland. You surely don't think that all of these multinationals are making all of their money from Irish operations and thats why they are here?

Some tech companies have had layoffs as they overhired in Covid - some are continuing to expand.

There are companies who work out of Ireland for a number of years (prior to covid) who never had an office presense here, yet hundreds of people work for them (Shopify come to mind but there are others). The multinationals are a long way from "moving" out of there.

The jobs pipeline is strong ( https://www.siliconrepublic.com/topics/jobs-announcements/ , with several multinationals having announced major expansion plans here in the past number of months. I have yet to see one major multinational announcing a complete withdrawal.

Either way - remote work wont have anything to do with it as these companies have always had these options.

As for AI - you demonstrate a lack of understanding if you think it is going to effect high paying multinational jobs any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The CPH for India is the same as China in IT, Indian wages are also increasing faster than other locations.

Anyway, as suspected, you're just making up any old guff, which after another SF supporter wrongly proclaimed Irish history is unsurprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭enricoh

Not in tech industry so I don't know about it. last years and this years growth are expected to be lower than inflation. Government spending is a lot higher than inflation. Doesn't seem very sustainable to me. I think the government robbed sinn feins magic money tree!

Government spending last year was a third higher than it had been before the pandemic and more than €8bn up on just the previous year.

• Advertisement

Your search results top 10 has results from years ago, the job announcements are from the past few weeks. Now, I'm sure you can get a better "cuts" result, but at least look at what you're posting before you try and refute someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭MFPM

I think they call that deflection! It seems you don't really have a grasp on your own argument. Here was I thinking this was a board to discuss and debate ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Francis McM

It is quite scary, given the windfall corporation taxes etc the country gets. Just three companies accounted for a third of all corporation tax collected in the Republic of Ireland between 2017 and 2021.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cpe9wz453elo

It reminds me of the stamp duty taxes collected on property transactions during the celtic tiger, and how that helped F**k the country was when that dried up a bit. Not sustainable, especially given how our national debt is now about what, 5 or 6 times higher than during the celtic tiger?

The government was afraid to cut spending / slow down the party during the celtic tiger too because of attacks from opposition if it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭zerosquared

The government repeatedly at every budget warns about this windfall will end and hence not spending like Sinn Fein are planning to do

As for your second point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Enricoh said that Government spending last year was a third higher than it had been before the pandemic and more than €8bn up on just the previous year……so you just saying our government "not spending like Sinn Fein are planning to do" just says it all about SF.

Re your graph, we all know GDP is based on leprechaun economics in this country: GNP is more accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That is incredibly lazy, even an AI bot would bring up more relevant and recent articles.

What are your thoughts on the remainder of my comments?

Post edited by kippy on

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

I agree that it's not unheard of for newly elected councillors to run for the Dáil.

The question for Sinn Fein is, who do they replace the newly elected Councillors with?

I think it's fair to say that smaller/newly successful parties don't have the same number of available, credible, candidates that have a public profile. FF and FG, in particular, have had literally decades of large party memberships, compared to the traditionally less successful parties. It stands to reason then that they don't have as many members with a high public profile ready to step into the shoes of any councillor who is elected to the Dáil.

I've actually never heard of at least half of the candidates for the Council elections - and just barely heard of a few more - and I keep a fairly sharp eye on politics.

I don't know SF strategy will be, but it is likely to be a problem for them - and probably some of the other smaller parties, too, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Grey123

I’m sure the quality will be lower but I also suspect they will find someone. SF have a few very poor TDs who were probably just running last time to make up the numbers.

A poor quality councillor can be well hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

You may well be right.

If that does prove to be the case, I'll freely admit to being terrified - and that's coming from someone who literally cannot wait to see the back of the current coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riddles

Tech Companies who were filling jobs in Ireland, UK or the US with transfers from low cost countries realised with WFH “does it really make sense to have these in mid or high cost locations?”

The hiring strategies have now changed at least in the company I am in majority of positions can only be replaced in low cost countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Go look at who is queuing for new houses that come on sale. All those Indians arent queuing for house for remote work in India. I work with a few of them. They are out looking to buy houses every time a new development comes on the market. These are people who are net contributors to our economy who cant find rentals or purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭SharkMX

No. 99% of people understand exactly the many reasons which have combined to create a housing shortage. Clearly you are one of the 1%

I don't think their (Soc_Alt) comments are based on anything other than trying to have an excuse ready if/when SF tank the golden goose that has been foreign direct investment for Ireland.

Further deflection, why are so coy about articulating an argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

there’s a video that aul Gerry did lately - my god the man looked physically and mentally shook - very low energy and borderline depressed.

Are SF realising now that looking after the world while putting paddy to the back of the queue is coming back to hurt them??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Wait till every town and village has a little Gaza district right next to little Lagos and risky Albania ghettos

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

SF putting paddy at the back of the queue? Thats a mean feat for a party not in government

• Registered Users Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Another major factor for the demise of SF is the media coverage of that total oddball O Brin - the housing spokesman who got his specs in a packet of cornflakes.

SF don’t seem to realise how badly he comes across.

You would cross the street to avoid him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,327 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I think people people thinking and hoping for the demise of SF will be in for a shock come GE time.

They'll probably be in the next government and likely as the senior party in it.

If we are taking demise then it's FF and FG. Their fall from grace has been so stark over the past few decades that now they probably can't do without each other.

40 years ago FF and FG received 85% first preference votes between them.

The most recent general election they received 43% first preference votes between them.

Demise indeed.

A 'major factor' in the alleged 'demise' of SF is Eoin O'Broin...Where to people get this nonsense from, I assume if people are posting here they have some interest in politics that allows them to develop some intelligent and objective analysis but reading comments here is like being in a children's playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I always felt he was probably one of the best SF TDs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Eoin O'Broin is definitely one of SF's brightest stars, however when I see him on Tv debates if the caption came up that he was from the "Soc. Dems" or "PBP" parties it wouldn't seem odd… he and Paul Murphy would be friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Eoin O'Brion should have a good handle on housing, as he has studied it and written a book on the subject. But it's quite obvious that SF have decided to limit his exposure, so that must be the party's decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭crusd

Its 60% of GNP.

The reality is the gap between GNP and GDP is now significantly lower than it was a few years back so the old leprechaun economics carnad is largely obsolete. Multinationals here also pay 37billion euro in salaries. The benefit to the economy is real. The tax take may be a windfall, but this windfall needs to be invested now rather than squirrelled away. This is the way to protect against the windfall going away in the future through expanding the productive capacity of the country through provision of key infrastructure including housing and transport.

Advertisement