Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After leaving cert holiday mess

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

I suppose you're right and Im indifferent..was not intentional. I thought it was important to the context so people could check terms and conditions etc. No idea how to delete the whole thread. I see you are moderator so feel free if you feel it is required. You're in charge I guess? I just checked and it is not clear to me how or where to delete or request delete.

Edit: Just requested mod to delete as per your suggestion - nothing has happened so far.

Post edited by Inkers92 on

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Kathnora

What a mess! Reading through the posts will hopefully help to remind students and parents that the actual Leaving Cert should be top of the agenda for this year and not the post Leaving Cert holiday. This distraction is not needed.

Dream on I suppose ..... 🙄

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Just a thought. Clutching at straws maybe

While it is a stinker of a situation and your son has been dropped in it, is he 18 years old? Is there an angle that as he is below 18, can he enter into a contract, never mind be held to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Tbf the people involved may not have truly grasped that they would be expected to shell out more money even if they didn't go on the trip;

Even the OP mentioned "deposits" as opposed to "instalments" and it's fairly standard to have non-refundable deposits for holidays.

But being on the hook for money you haven't paid yet for a holiday you've pulled out of is going to be a hard thing to get the head around for most people. It doesn't sound like a great business model, really, you know someone isn't committed until you've got full payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

If the lead booker was not 18, the contract is not legal.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth-family-relationships/children-s-rights-and-policy/children-and-rights-in-ireland/#:~:text=Contracts,until%20you%20are%20aged%2018.

Contracts

You cannot enter a legally binding contract until you are aged 18.

So should say first there is no blame or fault on the holiday company here. They sell a product, the lads bought it, rules attached and that's it.

Long story short, i encouraged my lad to push the conversation to get it sorted and after A LOT of to and fro, lads not going agreed to pay the flights 380 each, no cancellation fee if they leave original booking in place. The others will absorb the other costs into their deal.

Problem is couple of those cancelling said they don't have the money so 4x95 euro installments to pay the 380 agreed, with first of those by next week. Not ideal in my opinion. I'm not sure this will work but that's what they sorted between themselves and they have committed to paying their part in messages. Going back to parents later is still an option.

So hopefully they have a way forward and everyone can move on. For the ones still going it's an expensive trip for them but still cheaper than cancelling the four and rebooking. So everyone will take a hit and hopefully lesson learned to check what you are signing up to for all of them.

Hopeful that's the end of it, let's see.

Just leaving this here for others who may be thinking of organising a post leaving cert holiday/one of these trips:

1. Check it with a parent or guardian first. You may think they are idiots but they are older and wiser and have been through these things before. Do it.

2. Make sure you ask about, read and understand the terms and conditions and tell everyone to read them before you commit

3. Make sure everybody knows what is non-refundable and they will be expected to pay and at least GET THE FULL AMOUNT that is non-refundable from each person upfront before you confirm any booking

This will sort out who is genuinely interested in going from those who just throw in a small deposit and say ah well later and it will mean you are covered (at least to some extent) if and when someone decides they are out.

Post edited by Inkers92 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

I would echo the advice to not leave your kid take on any financial or legal responsibilities for other kids, especially under-18s.

I speak from personal experience.

I got badly burned in the past and when I went looking to involve other parents to help, they ran for the hills and left me to deal with it.

• Advertisement

Not quite the topic here, but related; if one is making any bookings on behalf of others, as I had to do lately, always important to get a scanned copy of the other travellers’ passports as airlines are fussy about names/details matching precisely with that on the passport.

Advertisement