Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After leaving cert holiday mess

Options
  • 07-02-2024 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,

My son and 10 pals agreed to go to Portugal on a holiday after leaving cert. 11 lads all paid 60 euro deposit each out of total of 720 per head.

One lad went forward as the "booker"/lead passenger and my son (even though I warned him not to three times!!!) collected the deposits and put his bank card on the booking.

Everybody was warned it was non-refundable but of course a couple of them decided then to cancel... and then two of their closer friends decided to cancel leaving 7.

It was booked through xxxxholidays and the upshot is the Ts and Cs state 75 euro cancellation per booking plus flights are non-refundable. One of the rooms for 4 can be cancelled free of charge. Three lads that pulled out are refusing to pay as be 400 each for their cancellation. (One is being sound about it and said he will pay as he signed up to it).

Long story short there are rows now and even if the other 7 want to go ahead xxxxholidays pushing the price up.

I am now going to have to get involved and try sort it, approach xxxxholidays, other parents etc... nightmare. But I know this has been going back and forth between them and needs a "real" adult to get involved (some of them are 18, some 17) Any thoughts on best approach to take? Uggh.

Anyone had dealings with xxxxholidays on cancellations? Can the flights not be cancelled directly to the airline (will definitely be resold). Can you even sell a holiday to a 17 year old without parental involvement?

In my opinion the lads that pulled out should suck it up as they signed up but that's an awkward conversation with the parents some of whom I don't even know.

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Best approach ... be prepared to be pissed off and lower your expectations as to what the outcome will be.

it will be a quick life lesson for your young lad.

by all means talk to the travel agent and see what the best case scenario is ... however they work off razor thin margins so expect them to stick to their terms and conditions so ensure you read them and understand them.

contact the parents if you wish to .. don't expect to make friends and anything they offer be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

Yeah, I'm not expecting much joy from them to be honest but will see if they will be kind about it and see if can come to some arrangement. Otherwise thinking I will be contacting all parents directly and asking for the cash. Not willing to have my kid (or me) cover for a lad who says hes not paying because he has to buy his 200 euro longitude ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

I have been in a similar situation for a house share, signing for bills and then people fupping off when I was younger. Dont solve it let him work it out himself and call it a learning experience. It could be a very valuable life lesson. Being responsible for other peoples money aint fun and its stressful when "horses buck at the gate".

Yeah. I have been standing off for two weeks and checking in with him on progress. There hasn't been much tbh (just rows and even threats). I think he has already learned a lesson tbh and it is a good test of friends and acquaintances etc but he is really worried now they are on the hook for upwards of 7 grand and he and the lead booker are left holding the baby.. he's a good kid and worked hard in a part time job for the few quid he has, saving for a car etc so I'm going to try help out. Also doing LC so doesn't need the hassle. Plus one of the lads that pulled out is being a total **** about it. Don't want to jump the gun but a lesson in small claims may be in order... hopefully won't come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

So they have all paid a deposit to the travel agent. Has anything else been paid?

Can they not all back out losing €60 each? What's the point of a deposit if you're obligated to pay the rest? I'd also be getting tough with the travel agent to sort it out for the lads who genuinely want to go and give the agent some business.

• Advertisement

Yeah, so far only 60 per head paid but the Ts and Cs state that all flights and transfers are non-refundable from time of booking confirmation... even accommodation in some cases!! Seems crazy to me that you can potentially hold someone to cost of full price of a holiday you want to cancel but I guess that's how they make the cash selling holidays on tick with tough get out clauses.

Young lads concern is next installment for everybody of 160 each is due on 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

That's bizarre alright. Don't understand how flights can be non-refundable if they haven't paid for them yet. Presumably he has signed something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

They re non refundable so their just going to lose the €60 each. Let them cancel and re book with whoever wants to go. Love holidays will have €720

I presume the booking hasn't been confirmed until they ve actually paid in full for them ?

It's difficult for me to understand completely as I need to get all of the emails/correspondence off the lad who did the booking but my understanding so far is that you are entering an agreement to pay when booking is confirmed and that confirmation happens when deposit is paid.

That's why I want to see everything and talk to them. There may be things lost in the fact that they were making a deal with a bunch of 17 and 18 year old.

It seems they are not like an old fashioned travel agent selling package holidays but are going and booking the accommodation and flights separately like you would yourself but they are doing the legwork... dunno...

What I do know is that they have told them they would need to pay full cost of flights and said they would have to pay the accommodation too if they all pulled out... but then they were able to say one room could be cancelled free if 4 pulled out but flights would still have to be paid.

They were sent a booking ref for Aer Lingus but you can only manage the flights through the third party (loveholidays) according to aer lingus website.

There is also 4 17 year olds in the group and I just read you cannot enter/leave Portugal as an under 18 without a stamped approval letter from parents/guardian or something.

So how can they even sell holidays to groups of 17 year olds. Whole setup seems weird to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

They are not a traditional travel agent, selling package holidays - they are an online agent.

I bet they have booked the flights on Ryanair or Aer Lingus website, and they are non-refundable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is cancelling his card an option?

He was smart enough to use Revolut card so he could just bale but that would leave his mate that put the name on the booking in the s**t and they prob chase him for it so not really an option he wants to take.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Genuinely OP, this is what the deposit is for! Tell them to cancel the whole thing and rebook with someone else and there won't be another word about it. What are they going to do, sue 11 young lads for stuff they can resell in a heartbeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Thats bad form on the other "pals", If all fails I wonder is there a local notice board on facebook or selling page to your area Inkers92? Could they try sell the spaces to others that is perhaps debating about going away themselves.(They would have to change the name on the flights aswel but might be a few euro back).

I was dealing with Loveholidays just when covid lockdowns kicked in and it was a nightmare, Now they where probably inundated at the time compared to now but only reason I got my refund was because flights was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

This is not correct. They are legally liable for what they signed up to pay, not the deposit, the whole of the outstanding amount due. I would suggest you try to get as many as possible to pay what they owe and do not suggest to them that they can walk away with a €60 loss if it is your son whose card or name is on the booking.

At the time the contract was entered into was your son one of those who was 17 or was he 18? those who were 17 can escape the contract. It is likely that the T&Cs impose the liability for the full outstanding amount (not just "their fair share") on those others. If a single one of them entered the contract then the legal liability (as opposed to the moral liability) may fall entirely on that person. I don't know what the terms and conditions of the contract are of course or how many entered into it.

Best case scenario : one child entered the contract, that person was 17 at the time, you can all walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They're a great company and it's more of an installment plan than a deposit, they book your flights hotels and transfers so hard for them to back out I'm sure. I doubt Ryanair will refund the company

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Sounds a plan, let them know that shirking their responsibilities is ok. They entered a contract, they should pay, tough. If his friends are sticking the bill with him, he needs to learn from this unfortunately.

Welcome to fake modern adulthood (with parental protection from the real world)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Absolutely , no idea how the company seems to be getting any stick whatsoever in the thread. Anything myself or my brother have booked with them have been I’d say on average 35% cheaper and better value than anywhere else.

Yes, I'm inclined to agree with this. Even from a future credit perspective and you need to learn some problems you can't run from.

The guy that booked is 18. The reason I am focusing on the 17 year olds is three of four that are cancelling are 17.

• Advertisement

No stick for the company here. They have a product they sell. I've never used it before so no idea how good or bad that is. One thing that should be clear is there should be extra diligence given when they are dealing with what are essentially large children when they are signing up for things to ensure they understand. Is firing out a pdf with Ts and Cs as an attachment on an email enough (for any customer) or should that be more explicitly stated (maybe they do that I've never spoken to them).

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭brookers

Exact same thing happened my sister in law, booked flights and concert tickets for a trip to Germany for her son and a load of mates who went to a fee paying well known rugby posh school, many of them pulled out leaving her to pay for everything, the mates were bad, the parents were beyond horrible, said nothing to do with them, refused to pay.....my sister in law must have said to us a million times do not get involved with paying for anything for anybody in your kids school. Personally I would pay up if my kid cancelled out as that was the way I was brought up but some people out there now have absolutely no shame......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's a down payment though, you pay it and you instantly get your flights and hotels , i doubt their partners would refund love holidays

Yeah like do the take date of births at time of booking? I’d have thought not. Feel like most things online dont ask if you are over 18 unless it’s an obvious product. I think firing out T & Cs should be enough tbh. If I was booking something I wasn’t sure I’d use I’d be reading the T & Cs , I know it’s different in this case as it’s a bunch of young fellas. Hopefully they get sorted. Easiest might be to just find 3 more bodies, the prices will go up so I’d imagine they’ll get takers

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ahhhh I thought it was a deposit! Ok well with that in mind I hopped onto their website to look at their T&C's and it clearly states in there that to cancel, you have to pay a €75 fee for a package holiday and have 100% liability for flights and transfers. So my suggestion to the OP is to have the lead booker do this, work out the amount it's going to cost the 11 lads to get out of this and get that fee off them, it would be better than being on the hook for the entire 7k!!!

I warned him but you know excitement and enthusiasm of youth and not cynical or burned enough yet!! To be fair I haven't spoken to loveholidays or other parents yet (who may not even be aware). I'm gonna do that some time today and will certainly revert back with any outcomes.. at least so others may be warned in future.

They did take all names and dobs and sent back the list for confirmation so they knew some were 17.

They have literally turned 18 mate and you are suggesting he sorts it himself with no parental support. Even adults help each other at times. Glad you're not my da. Give it a rest.

Yeah that’s an interesting legal one alright I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Surely they only enter a contract with the lead booker? And if that person is 18 then they are covered.

Advertisement