Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are PHEVs bad?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've heard that on some phevs, ford I think you can choose when you use the battery if at all.

If I was mainly doing a regular long distance that kept the diesel running ok, I wouldn't bother with a phev..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

@User1998 Yes, you can drive with the climate control off and the car will remain in EV Mode until depleted but until the cabin has been warmed up and the engine control module is happy then the EV mode won't kick in fully. However, it is still using the battery to help move the car along so consumption is lower. You can feel and hear the engine working differently when in full HEV mode.

@Casati I could only review my long term right now as the previous history is gone from those long journeys. I would say going Limerick-Dublin etc on the M7/N7 then I am seeing around 45mpg or whatever that it is L per 100. The Tucson is heavier and less aerodynamic than the Niro. The trade off now being, against the Diesel is, I get more in the Tucson, it is more comfortable than my last hatchback but I lose out of MPG on longer higher speed journeys.

I have done 19kms this morning and average temperatures were around 10degrees so I got around 1.9l/100 which is about 148MPG and this afternoon on the same journey I might get a little lower(higher MPG) because it is marginaly warmer out there with a full charge so might see closer to 200MPG. In Summer I could get 999+MPG on a given day until the battery depleted and went into HEV mode.

I'm okay with that. There is a brand new Tucson being sold, I still don't think I would stick with a PHEV though. BEV next.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Finochet

Thanks.plenty to consider there. Assuming it will take a couple of weeks to get properly set up is it better in the interim to let car decide to use more petrol and allow battery deplete to lower levels or temporarily use sport mode to try to keep battery above 20% ( notwithstanding consequent diminution in mpg)? I'm thinking here of the 80/20 rule for battery lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

Just let the car figure it out I think. I don’t think battery degradation will be an issue at all. It hasn’t been an issue with pure hybrids even though they will charge discharge at an alarming rate.

i suspect the reason is bevs squeeze every last ounce out batteries for range, while PHEVs and hybrids are far more conservative.

I know the rav4 has PHEV deems your ev only time over by the time you get to about 20%, I assume the tucson is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Samson1

By way of comparison with the price of petrol - if you got say 40kms range from the Rav4 PHEV, and you charged it up at home each night - what would the average cost of electricity be to charge the battery from empty to full, please (roughly of course)??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Just multiply the capacity of the battery by the unit rate of electricity to get the price to fully charge if from empty. Eg, if it's a 10kwh Battery and your electricity is about 30c per unit, then that costs roughly 3 euros to fill the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If it's 40km range for 3 euros, then that works out at about 8c per km

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Finochet

Míle buíochais ( is seachtain na gaeilge over?)

I've noticed Tucson went as low as 13% ( with consequent climb to in XS of 5 l/100km petrol consumption) which was what prompted my query. From what I read in these threads I assume HEV kicks in and battery will start to climb slowly using pure hybrid. My concern was that battery behaviour/ degradation issues could increase below 20% and above 80% but this could be old wives tale or relative to batteries of different chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭cr-07

How do you check the battery health on a BMW 330e?

Advertisement