Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are PHEVs bad?

Options
  • 07-02-2024 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭

I am genuinely curious as to this. In previous threads I mentioned I have had a RAV4 PHEV (or Prime to our American cousins). It has been quite excellent. Wonderful performance and has probably burnt no more than 10 tanks of petrol in 40k kms (a home charger outside the front door helps here, pretty much all the petrol was for longer journeys) It is leaving me soon for a new one and the cost to charge was very competitive. Aside from the high initial price it has been a very cost effective car, and clearly very environmentally friendly.

It also can tow a trailer, wade 500mm, has awd with “locking diffs” and does 40mpg+ on petrol only.

It may sound like I sell Toyotas (I dont, although can’t look beyond the marque since MB threw it all away in the late 90s and again more recently with the Renaults…), but I can’t understand why people will endure a BEV and the infrastructure limitations, or god bless even a diesel when such vehicles exist.

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You will probably hear that it is "the worst of both worlds" - for example you take pride in not having used much petrol, but if you had an electric you would have used zero petrol and there is a hundred less things to go wrong when you take out the petrol system, cheaper servicing etc. Based on your details you would rarely have to suffer the charging infrastructure either using a full EV.

Not sure about the towing capabilities of EVs or how often you have to wade into water, so your particular case might mean a PHEV is best for you for when you need to tow. Although I seem to recall that all batteries in BEV are completely sealed so might be able to wade in as well

Basically if you can charge at home or work and do less than 300/400km a day (which let's face it, is 90% of people) then you are fine with an EV, if neither of these things apply then there is little difference between an ICE will be just as or more efficient PHEV

For what it's worth I have a PHEV which I really like, so I'm not judging you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

My reasons for giving up on my PHEV, a 2018 530e doing 20 to 30kms on battery in favour of a 2nd EV

Always being close to empty battery and trying to eek out electric range probably took away from enjoying the car as much as I should have. Always watching the numbers.

Plugging in every day

Girlfriend never ever plugging in (not the cars fault, she doesn't take the bins out either but that's a different matter!)

Complex ICE engine and gearbox to go wrong

Using about 50% on petrol anyway

Nowadays I'm only concerned about battery level once in a blue moon in the EVs. I have my charging spots on my long work trips sorted, mostly with destination charging.

For what it's worth, I kind of like the idea of PHEV. If there was a genuine 80km battery on one I liked I'd be happy with it for day to day stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

I think the main issue is that a lot of PHEVs just get driven like standard hybrids (fleet cars especially) so emissions output vastly understated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

I think this is because you hear the negatives from both the ICE and BEV fans. But they are a compromise that can be ideal when considered on a case by case basis, like yourself.

I bought one because we needed 7 seats, occasional towing, liked the security of petrol when we camp and haven't easy access to charging. Our daily school runs don't normally exceed 50k so a €70 fill would typically last a month.

That being said, when changing in two or 3 years time it will probably be a BEV due to increased range and different family needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think the reason Govt don't like them is because a significant number of people don't charge them very much, and overall they don't help enough with emission targets. That said I can't find any really good data or reports to back that up. Maybe that's an urban myth.

For me personally I couldn't get the battery range I wanted in a decently priced used phev. They all seemed over priced with batteries that are too small. I'd have buy a new one. I'm not sure if that's changed with all the recent price cuts. I'm seeing more popup now.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭frank730

there are a few options, hyundai santa fe for example

• Registered Users Posts: 13,699 ✭✭✭✭josip

Probably for the same reasons that you can't understand that BEVs are better suited to some people than PHEVs and other people need diesels :). It sounds like in your case you've got the perfect car for your needs which is great, many people take a few goes to find the car that works for their lifestyle. I think if PHEVs were used as intended/marketed by their manufacturers, they would be looked on more positively by the govt/public. Toyota's disingenuous marketing of their 'self charging' hybrids is unfortunate and PHEVs incorrectly get tarred also with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rodderss

I bought a 330e previously, the electric range is very low but it gets me around to do errands whereas I won't make it to work on ev mode only.

All told the running costs are very low for what it is .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭denismc

The big thing you forgot to mention is price,

55k for a brand new RAV4! Other brands have similarly high prices.

Compare that to the price of a Model Y, or even a Santa Fe and you are paying a premium for having the best if both worlds.

Now a few years ago the was a lot of 2nd hand cars coming from the UK market and they were good value, but the new ones are crazy prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭innrain

Seemed cheaper to me to have one small EV short range and a second ICE car. That coming from two ICE Cars already.

But if I was downsizing to one car I'd consider a phev but only if it had 100k ish range on the battery in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭daarmcd

We nearly bought an Xceed hybrid but went full BEV when we did the figures.

The hybrid would have been great if we charged each way daily for commute (150km return).

Servicing and petrol costs (90km motorway) made the EV cheaper.

I also asked garages what happens to a petrol engine if a hybrid always runs in EV mode,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

I feel that the variability of PHEV performance has something to do with people slating them.

I used to own a Mercedes C350e and that was a waste of money. It was my number two choice, as the Passat GTE was out of my price range at the time (the Passat was more expensive to get for the same year as it was a much better PHEV). I ended up selling the C350e and replaced it with a Passat GTE and the difference was night and day.

The C350e was worse on fuel than my previous diesel for my commute (starting on full battery). The GTE had a bigger battery, but was also more efficient as an EV. Its petrol engine was also a lot more efficient too meaning I could get same or better fuel economy on long motorway trips if I started with a full battery. If I started with no battery, the fuel economy was not that much worse than a 2.0 TDI.

Long story short, I could get thousands of KM per tank of petrol on the GTE where I was filling up as regularly as my diesel when I had the C350e. With that said, I had the benefit of a 40km daily commute, but anything longer would still have been decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I had a PHEV Ioniq for over 2 years and I found it to be a great car. They don't get a lot of love in here, granted, but I actually miss the car occasionally now that I have a BEV.

I only changed to BEV because I wanted to (not out of necessity) but there have been times when I have almost regretted the decision. This mostly happens on long trips where I have to use a fast charger whereas the Ioniq could keep going or just needed a quick 5 minute petrol top up. The electric only range of 60km was perfect for my daily use and I only charged the car 2 to 3 times a week, such is my commute. If you can keep within that range and charge regularly, then there is no reason why a PHEV would not suit. At one point, I went 6 months without the need to refuel with petrol and only then because I drove to Galway and back from Dublin.

I may go back to PHEV at some point but as someone else here has said, I too would want an EV range of at least 100Kms to make it attractive to me. The thing I like about my BEV is not having to charge it every 2 or 3 days for my normal usage so I can go 2 weeks without charging. One the other hand, I would like to have a car that can do the Galway-Dublin return route in one shot without stopping and perhaps BEV range will be such that this will be possible without spending crazy amounts of money on a heavily depreciating asset. Before someone asks... yes, when I go to Galway, I usually visit family in several different places and head home in the evening and I would rather not have to stop anywhere for 30 minutes. I used to do this every 2 weeks in the past but now it is only every few months so the BEV is fine for this journey; having a BEV that could cater for that journey profile would mean not even thinking about a PHEV in future.

To sum up, PHEVs should get more love than they do. I recommend them to friends and family who are not ready to go full BEV and I think they are an easy way to get people used to plugging in and charging. It also gives people a taste of how cheap driving on electricity can be. PHEVs are a gateway drug to BEV 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,699 ✭✭✭✭josip

The GTE came out in 2015, yet your account is from 2005.

Did you get your username changed or in 2005 did you have the gift of seeing into the future?

Astra GTE maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

I really like the idea of Phev’s. Number one reason not mentioned is that they are mostly just 7% vrt so are getting more car for your money (and paying less tax).

Obviously never having to use an super expensive charging station or having to ask your Mammy / friend/ customer / B&B owner to tap into their electricity would seem like a super attractive option, especially if you read the forums on public charging problems.

The other reason is that they look like a normal car and not an oddly designed EV, though the RAV4 is no looker. They are sold by established brands with dealer facilities including tradein options. Your cost to change on the Rav is arguably less than any EV?

You asked why buy a diesel over one - having done the sums diesel is still the best option for me, I can claim VAT back so it’s quite a bit cheaper to fuel while being reasonable to buy new. The also offer other advantages which I will get shouted down for here. A lot of other drivers are similar. The only diesel PHEV is Mercedes - I often question why VAG or Stelentis group don’t do one?

New PHEV’s like the just announced Kodiaq offer 100km range, as do others like the latest Volvo XC60 but 50km would cover 90% of people’s daily driving 90% of the time. I know many happy PHEV owners as a result.

I don’t get the comment about having to charge nightly being a problem, surely it becomes memory muscle, ie when you park up for the night you just get in the habit of plugging in? Doesn’t sound like much hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I like my phev.

It's charged practically every night, unless it hasn't been on the road that day.

That's how they are meant to be used. Most of its use is in electric mode.

I'd guess are loads of owners whose phev rarely see a charging plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the issue is simply that the buyers/ initial owners of these cars generally only choose them to get the tax break/ benefit in kind advantage but then many use them exclusively on petrol, so they get all the tax benefits for an electric car but are polluting like a normal petrol.

I would have thought that anyone buying them second hand like NIMAN and others above would be more likely to use the car as intended but surveys seem biased to exclusively surveying new owners/ company car owners getting the tax breaks directly, and not thinking about the full life of the car and emissions saved down the road by people for whom a PHEV makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭User1998

50km seems like a lot but it decreases a lot with the heater and stuff on and in cold weather. 100km would be decent tho. I found it a bit poxy having to plug in every night, especially during winter. And then sometimes other cars in the garden can be blocking the charger, and then you end up running out of battery the next day defeating the purpose of buying a PHEV. I much rather just plugging in once a week

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭GPoint

Anyone has experience with Ford kuga PHEV?

None but you can see the specs. 66km range on a very good day and 14kwh battery.

Similar to all these Phevs. You'd have to see how much of your daily driving you can do on the battery.

Seen the specs alright but wanted first hand experience feedback from someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As with all evs , the range falls off during the cold winter days and nights. It actually seems to be affected more than my full ev, although I wouldn't see any reason for that.

But with mine I can still do my commute to work in winter with maybe 20% left, and charge back to 100% free of charge,before heading home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ive a Kuga phev . Can't fault it for economy. 2.7l/100km

Charge it at night for less than €2. It does most of my local driving .

Drive 75km to Slea head on Monday on a flat battery and half my driving was still electric.

Found my driving is more measured which is more economical.

Spent a tenner a day on diesel on my last car

I like the power of the 2.5 L engine. It's great to get out of a tight spot or overtake.

Great stuff!

Wonder when the facelifted version coming here. Seen reviews of Ford escape in the us and got interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

Yes, the cost to charge was diametrically opposed to the experiences ev owners have had. The RAV is definitely not a looker, but imo wonderful value for money considering the lump of engineering you get.

i also bought a new Camry plain hybrid to replace a diesel. Yes, the loss of the reclaimed vat hurts as does the loss of being able to keep 700L of fuel at home, but the mpg of the Camry (vs a 2.0 diesel avensis) makes up for it almost. I don’t miss the manual transmission mind.

Advertisement