Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl LVIII Thread - Chiefs v 49ers

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

49ers

Shanahan fails again for the same reasons. 3 straight 3 and outs, all pass plays in the 3rd when you have the best RB of this generation. They failed to work Kittle into the game.

That 3rd down at the end of the 4th, game on the line. How do you not expect the Chiefs D to send it? That was the game right there. You don't give killers like Mahomes a chance, same as Brady.

I genuinely think the 49ers are cursed for passing on Brady twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The longevity is there because Brady was top level all through his career. He had a 102 rating three times in his forties. He won three Superbowls in his forties.

The amount of Superbowls he won is the key stat though. Greatness is decided by championships.

I don't think Mahomes needs seven to take the GOAT title but he does need six.

I think he'll get there.

49ers

It will be tough for Mahomes to surpass him, but he's certainly in a good spot to do so. Brady only lost his first playoff game after winning 3 SBs, so Mahomes is still lagging on a comparative basis.

Mahomes has two key advantages, for one he came into a team with a lot of offensive talent and a coach who's one of the greatest offensive minds in the game's history. Secondly, the level of competition for him is significantly weaker than it was for Brady. The AFC was considerably more competitive during the decades Brady was on the Pats than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Chiefs

Yes it's much better I liked it both teams get a better balanced shot. Advantage of receiving ball first is that you can set a major marker if you score a TD but carrying risk of throwing an interception, big advantage still would be having possession for the sudden death as previous if O/T is still tied, plusses of receiving the ball second like with the Chiefs last night they knew the minimum score they had to achieve on their possession and had an extra down on each possession if a score was required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

49ers

Do you mean end of the 4th or OT?

Don't remember the one at the end of the 4th but the one in OT was perfectly called by Kyle, with both Jennings and Aiyuk were open for TDs if Purdy even has a few seconds. The OL just messed up and ignored Jones - likely McKivitz but could be Burford, who came in later in the game due to an injury.

49ers

I meant the drive in the end of regulation. 14:35 on this video. They win the game if they pick up the 1st down. Most important play of the game for them and they don't anticipate an all out blitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,667 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's good the Chiefs won, Taylor can avoid Travis screaming in her face and shouldering her into a wall. Phew, Go Chiefs .

49ers

Watched it a few times and dont see how that is on Kyle.

Open to being wrong but to me there are enough guys in protection but Purdy doesn't correctly diagnose where the blitz is coming from. If he checks Kittle (I think) over to his left, he'd pick up the DB who ends up being a free runner ruining the play and it is an easy completion to Aiyuk.

Instead, in the video we have Kittle on he right, where it looks like the blitz might come from, and it ends up being him and Burford double teaming a single DB.

Only thing I could complain about from Kyle there is him not calling a timeout because the look wasnt great or seeing what was going on, the latter though is harsh as it was unclear until the DB moved a second before the snap.

Defenses are allowed to make good plays too, even if a good play is called.

49ers

Well that was a gutting loss...

49ers absolutely had them, Kelce screaming in the face of Reid, WRs having a go at Mahomes, and their defense needing team meetings. They were shaken but we didn't put them in as deep a hole as they deserved to be in.

Problem is when you're facing Mahomes (agree with others in the thread that he is the best player I've ever seen), you need to be both playing your best and have luck go your way - the 49ers had neither.

When we were on top early, some of our best players made completely uncharacteristic mistakes - CMC fumble and penalties from Trent. Deebo also had some drops and Purdy some gaps in understanding what Spags was doing and also a few wayward throws. Special teams also being a killer with the missing PAT and muffed punt.

The luck side of things is where 49ers were completely obliterated. Chiefs weren't able to do anything on offense until Greenlaw blew his achilles running onto the field. I'm sure Reid and Mahomes would have gotten things going at some stage but he was an enormous loss, losing the heartbeat of the defense and vital in covering the run to allow Warner more freedom. The worst thing was the fumble luck - out of 7 fumbles during the game 6 ended up with the Chiefs. It is extremely difficult to win against any team with that fumble luck, forget about repeatedly coming within a play or two against Mahomes.

Margins in top level sport are so, so narrow. Kyle is going to get a lot of abuse coming out of this but for me most of it is going to be completely unwarranted. It is amazing how a bounce of a ball turns one coach into one of the greats, while the other is seen as a 'choker'.

• Advertisement

49ers

You make good points. Stark difference to Mahomes facing a blitz, who picked it up easily.

I'd criticize the play choice personally. I think he should've stuck with having the FB and CMC in the backfield. Give the option of a run or play action. Trust their best player to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Chiefs

Sorry excuse my ignorance what’s fumble luck? The chiefs got 6 out of 7 balls to be claimed?

49ers

The luck in recovering fumbles. You can train for it and get a good run of luck but generally due to the randomness, especially the bounce of the ball, teams on average sit around 50%.

Chiefs were 51% in recovery this season and 53% last year. Last night they were 86%, which gave them potentially 6 extra possessions that could have ended up with the 9ers if the ball bounced differently.

Good teams tend to get 'luck' because they are successful in putting themselves in the position for good things to happen but last night was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

on the Greenlaw thing which i completely agree with you, his an awesome player but the staff needed to have a better back up plan than Oren Burk, greenlaw has being dealing with Achilles tendonitis since week 18 so his achilles could've went at anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Chiefs

Great news fellow Swifties, the Eras tour will be released on Disney+ in March.

49ers

Below is some more stats on Burks - definitely not good.

49ers actually developed a fantastic 3rd string LB last year in Al-Shaair. He got decent money from Titans on a one year deal and feel he'll make very big LB money this year. Even if a back-up is decent it is hard to have them come in mid game for an upper tier guy, who was key to the game plan. If a guy is out before the game you can plan to hide the replacement but you cant train for every eventuality to come in, even if a player isn't 100% going into the game, and especially when you're facing a combo like Mahomes/Kelce/Reid.

Fair play for the Chiefs for absolutely targeting and making huge plays on the back-up guys who had to come in during the game. They got 'lucky' with the starters going down during the game but they squeezed every possible benefit from it.

It does raise a question regarding the 49ers team building approach. 49ers' team will likely continue to be very top heavy, with overinvestment in certain positions. They win an absolute mountain of games when healthy, however in both 2019 and last weekend it points to it being a questionable strategy to prioritize investment in DL over depth or other positions, like the 49ers have done during Shanahan/Lynch regime. Refs let a ton of holding go during the playoffs and especially the Super Bowl. Having great DL is very helpful in winning games during the regular season but unless it is absolutely elite or facing a surprisingly weak OL, like due to a bunch of injuries, you aren't going to get the same return on investment during the playoffs.

49ers

If you're interested, there is a decent amount of discussion going on about that play - including the in depth video from Warner below.

TLDR: Schwartz felt a more seasoned QB would have moved Kittle, while Warner feels it is fine but Purdy should have gone straight to Aiyuk when he saw the blitz.

I do agree with you there is probably better plays for that moment but it seems the general consensus is that the bust was a player issue rather than it being the coaching that didn't account for the blitz.

49ers

That was a great breakdown, thanks. Kinda similar to the play in OT, where the blocker just completely whiffs on picking up Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Chiefs

Twas a lovely game

49ers

Yeah, that was the back-up guard who made the mistake who came in due to injury.

Don't think the starter does that - those tiny margins that completely change the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Chiefs

A shooting during celebration

Advertisement