Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl LVIII Thread - Chiefs v 49ers

Options
  • 01-02-2024 12:23pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Kansas City Chiefs take on San Francisco 49ers in this years Superbowl.

Make your picks in the poll.

Superbowl LVIII Thread - Chiefs v 49ers 88 votes

Chiefs
    48%
    irishgeomike2084moby2101nuttyboy79bigslickchubba1984The MajorXavi6DuffMr VeloKev8360dakarMayoForSamectoraigeredarmyosullicPennhawaii501webpalJP Liz V1 43 votes
    49ers
    51%
    Palefaceednwirelandlynchiecenajv2000~Rebel~walshbpatmacadrian522AbusesToiletsFoxtrolPodge_irlsligeachMr. GuappaPaddyCarMacDangerFr Tod UmptiousIronman76lawred2Itssoeasy 45 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

TV.

Sky - is live on Sky Sports NFL, Main Event + the 'free' stations Sky Sports Mix and Sky Showcase (the old Sky One). Sky will use the CBS coverage with Jim Nantz & Tony Romo.

Free To Air - ITV1 and Virgin Media 2 will also show it in Ireland. From his tweets it looks like they are going with Darren Fletcher as commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

49ers

Sick to the back of me arse seeing Mahomes and Kelce on every single ad break (sometimes every single ad), which is reason enough on its own to want the 9ers to win.

Hard to bet against a team like the Chiefs who have shown that ability to just turn it on when it matters in the playoffs, against a team that have struggled at times to live up to their expectations. We know McCaffery will perform, the question is will Purdy rise to the occasion? He doesn't seem to want for confidence that's for sure. But he has had some humbling moments this season too. Hopefully the weapons he has will see him good. Love watching Kittle play, personally I think he's the best Tight End in the game right now, so will be hoping he goes off on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

49ers

I think the 49ers will win this comfortably. The Chiefs were shite against the Ravens, and but for an incomprehensible failure by the Ravens to execute basic offense, would've been beaten off the park. The Chiefs D is excellent , but the aggregate difference between the 49ers D vs Chiefs O/ 49ers O vs Chiefs D is heavily in SF's favor imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

I'm delighted it's the coverage with Romo on commentary

I'll probably have to eat my words but I think Chiefs lucky enough to get to superbowl this time

Mahomes is special in fairness, kelce is excellent and Andy Reid and spagnolo could make life very difficult for purdy but chiefs aren't as scary as they used to be with hill just taking 50/60 yards off you out of the blue

If 49ers get all their offensive pieces working and limit chiefs offense to having to grind out their scores I can see 49ers not blowing them off the field but winning by a healthy margin in the end.

Disclaimer: pure tea leaves reading!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

49ers

This is a tough one to call, great matchup really.

KC have the better QB, probably better coach, better defense. 49ers have the better roster, better offense, elite play designer. I think you know what you are getting from KC a little bit more.

The 49ers defense has really struggled recently and they can't afford to play like they have so far in the playoffs. I think they are especially vulnerable on the ground to outside runs, Green Bay and Detroit both torched them in this area.

You'd hope they would have some sort of answer for that in the superbowl but not sure really if they can figure it out. Question for me is can the chiefs stay patient with the run game or will they want to air it out and force feed Kelce?

49ers strength is their pass defense, particularly in the middle of the field. Ward is a good corner but in Nikel Ambry Thomas is the 2nd CB and KC will try to get Rice matched up with him which could lead to success for the Chiefs. There is a lot of pressure on Wilks the SF DC for this one.

The other thing I think is the chiefs O-line without Tuney could struggle a bit but Mahomes should be ok to get the ball out quick if needed.

KC have shown good offense in spurts during the playoffs, but are not great in the red zone, they will need TD's not FG's and they can't afford to go long stretches without scoring like they have been doing.

On the other side I think SF will lean into the run game with CMC and Deebo and will have some success. Question for me is when 49ers play 2WR,1TE,2RB do KC come out in base or Nikel, whatever they do SF has the players to make the wrong.

Purdy will need to make some throws but he has enough weapons that he should be able to make some plays. As long as the run game is functioning I can see the 49ers having some success. If KC limits the un game however I think passing against the chiefs will be difficult.

Fairly nervous about the 49ers kicker also if its a close game not to mention Shanahan's in game management is fairly poor. Hoping 49ers but not really all that confident to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

49ers

Head is telling me to go with the vast majority of media analysts and public money and pick the Chiefs but my heart wont let me.

Peak 49ers of this season would beat the peak levels we've seen from the Chiefs so far this year, even during their great playoff run. Problem is that we haven't seen that level since before Christmas. Has the last two weeks given them enough time to reset and bring back out those earlier performances?

The 49ers have been through a lot of struggle and disappointment over the last few years and I am hoping the challenge of coming back during this playoffs run, after going behind early, will stand to them, though I'm not sure Mahomes is letting them mount a comeback if it happens tomorrow. Having said that it will be very interesting to see what happens if the 49ers can build their own lead, as this highly performing playoff Chiefs' team hasn't had to chase a game during that run and floundered more than usual during the season when put in that position.

Pleasantly surprised that more on this thread are going for the 49ers after hearing significant negativity from the media this week. Really a finely balanced game with battles all over the field but boringly it probably all boils down to whether Mahomes can add to his potential GOAT resume with a performance to drive his team to victory, as I dont see the Chiefs winning without him playing a great game, outside of a complete 49ers meltdown. At this stage it is dumb to bet against him doing it but I feel the 9ers have the group to be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Chiefs

Kelce and Tay Tay a winning combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

49ers

Not sure where you're hearing about the vast majority of public money but the 9ers are two point favourites with the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

49ers

4 times the bets against the spread on the Chiefs and around double the moneyline.

Line is likely explained by either big sharp money coming on for the 49ers or there were a lot of futures on them and they're trying to get money on the Chiefs now to lower their exposure. I'd guess it is mostly the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Chiefs

Taylor Swift has arrived. Somebody needs to tell Usher to fu#k off, the Queen of Pop is here now and she will be the 1st ever to do both the half time show and lift the Vince Lombardi trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭csirl

I think it will be a close game. Both teams converging. Chiefs know how to peak at the right time, so will play better than their seeding. 49ers hoping to hold it together for one more game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,904 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have... surprise cameo on the bingo card. If not the in the half time show then photo bombing a chiefs cheerleaders act :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Chiefs

No matter how much I'm supporting the 49s and Brock the Chiefs' play-off performances/momentum/recent SB experience/Mahomes makes them favourites for me to retain this tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

49ers

I am looking forward to watching usher. Will we be seeing a diamond ring tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Chiefs

Chiefs have been better in the playoffs, think they'll get it done tonight.

Chiefs

No way should Chiefs be in the Superbowl and for that reason they'll win.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

49ers

Picked the niners.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,515 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I hate saying it but the big question mark is how will Purdy play. He looked excellent all season but he hasn't played well in the playoffs. I think the game hinges on his performance.

Both teams are great against the pass and I think we'll see a lot of ball on the ground tonight.

For the Chiefs they'll need decent games from the likes of Watson and Noah Gray. Jerrick McKinnon needs a good game too.

I thnk we'll see McCaffrey being used a lot as a receiver tonight. Deebo is a clutch player, I'm expecting a big night from him if Purdy can get back to his regular season form.

I don't think we'll see big nights for Rice or Aiyuk, they are downhill receivers and both teams are very good at defending that. Kittle will be very important as a blocker and receiver.

I've no idea who will win it. If Purdy gets back to his best I think the niners do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Chiefs

I think Chiefs winning with Rashee Rice shining

Taylor Swift to guest duet with Usher and David Guetta

• Advertisement

Chiefs

Taylor Swift has been given the Chiefs no.13 shirt, she will get a Super Bowl ring if they win, and she will probably be mvp.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Chiefs

49ers coming out to For Whom the Bell Tolls

Chiefs

Christ, Jerry Rice looks old.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Chiefs

Who was drawing on his face?

Chiefs

Travis Kelce is singing this song. He got some new face tattos and got skinny.

Chiefs

No one does pomp and bollox as good as the Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Chiefs

There is nothing in the world quite as stylish and aesthetically pleasing as face and hand tattoos.

49ers

I didn’t know tito santanas sister was singing the anthem.

49ers

That was a really good anthem performance.

• Advertisement

Chiefs

Congrats to Linda Martin for getting the sing the national anthem gig.

Advertisement