Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl LVIII Thread - Chiefs v 49ers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would hate to see what you think a good game for Kelce is. Leading receiver in a superbowl doesn't count for much apparently.

Brilliant game to watch as a neutral. Some great defense, some great offensive plays, 2 record SB kicks and both offenses had the ball in td and win scenarios.

Feel bad for CMC after his incredible season. Jennings was mvp for me if 49ers had sealed the deal. Mr. Irrelevant would have been an incredible story. Shanahan gains the chocker label after this, I guess a little like Reid from before. Hope he gets one too. However right now we are seeing greatness and Mahomes willing his team back into it was incredible to watch.

A lot of QBs struggle to make it back to the big game if they don't win it the 1st time and now we have Hurts, Burrow and Purdy as excellent QBs trying to beat those odds. Will be interesting to see how it goes. I guess Jimmy is around as well in the same situation but I have less hope there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

He had most receptions and also most receiving yards and also most of his production was down the stretch when it mattered most........

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Patriots were hated long before any gate. It got bad after they went back to back.

Brady was still young, 27 when he won his third.

You clearly don't understand how things work. When you dominate the average sports fan wants you to lose.

All they need is one little thing to focus on to really hate the franchise. They've got that now with Taylor Swift.

I remember the Cowboys being hated in the early 90's. They had Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders, three incredible players but the world found a way to hate them.

As a Patriots fan I seen this happen. I didn't understand it because I'm not like that. I love watching greats play the game.

The Chiefs have one of the greatest coaches in history and one of the greatest QBs. All I will do is watch in awe.

Personally I believe that Patrick Mahomes will take the mantle of GOAT from Tom Brady.

On Taylor Swift, she's not bigger than the NFL, she's huge in her own right, but the Chiefs and the NFL are loving it because of the exposure, new fans and the money it brings with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

I can’t explain it as a Dolphins fan, but I’ve gotten fed up of KC dominating quicker than I did the Patriots! Maybe it’s the follow on of one dynasty from another, I don’t know. Mahomes is brilliant and may one day be the GOAT, but not yet for me. I also don’t get the rush to crown him, many didn’t put Brady above Manning (never mind Joe Cool) until the Atlanta comeback. Let’s see how the rest of his career plays out.

All I ask for next year is a non-Chiefs AFC representative (I won’t be unrealistic and hope it’s the Dolphins🤣).

• Advertisement

You should sack McDaniel and hire Belichick. If you had a defense, and all the pieces are there, you'd have been in the Superbowl I think.

There's nothing required on offense so any half decent offensive coordinator would suffice.

Can you imagine how sick the Patriots would feel if Bill won with another AFC east franchise.

I'm a Patriots fan but I'd love it tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Getting worked up in a super aggressive game in which 300 pound lads are smashing into each other on the most important game of the year is not really a red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

I'd take Belichick in a heartbeat tbh. I think most of the pieces are there. Still not sold on Tua to be honest, I think he plays well against teams we should beat, but comes up short in the tougher games. No way he was beating Mahomes and Allen in the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

well said.

he's the best I've ever seen play, but we'lll have to wait a while to see if he can ever realistically be the greatest.

also, nobody has ever won a SuperBowl after taking the cap hit that they took. it's quite mental really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭jj880

You see players at that kind of stuff with each other on the sidelines all the time. Doesn't mean theyre all OJ. Dont remember any warnings for all their girlfriends / wives...

Only seeing comments like this because coach was involved and the endless nauseating fixation on Kelce and Taylor Swift.

you hate it more because, basically, between the Patriots and this Chiefs dynasty, that will be two NFL dynasties that have tied a conference up for a couple of decades. that is a long time for your team to maybe not get a look-in, and since I presume you thought there'd be a break from dominance post-Brady/Bellichick, the arrival of the Chiefs is presumably pretty damn annoying.

I'd have to agree about some of the play calling on offense by the 49ers. McCaffrey was playing great and they didn't use him on three consecutive downs a couple of times. It made no sense to me. Maybe overthinking things a bit.

And I'll criticise something in hindsight that worked out for SF. That was going for it on 4th and 3 when three points down. I thought that was stupid considering the defense they were up against.

The missed extra point was a huge thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

It's a whole different thing for players to gee each other up/chastise each other with a few timely belts or shoves to shouldering your Head Coach.Both commentary team and analysts for the game thought it was very bad form and a terrible look to send out to the hundreds of thousands of kids watching the game on how to disrespect your coach.Kelce lost it because he was having a very poor start to the game and was looking for someone else to blame.............as it couldn't be his fault!🙄

Time for an anger management course methinks 😉

Agreed on the coach aspect.

If another player did it would there have been warnings for their girlfriend / wife? I doubt it.

Suppose that depends on how in trawl people are to the whole Kelce Swift subplot.

Because that’s all it is……a subplot.

Camera panned to her while Travis was whooping and hollering on the Presentation Podium and she didn’t seem to be impressed 🙂

Not doubting fact he was leading receiver but we all see games differently, that’s the beauty of Sports.

I just felt other players had a lot more influence on the game overall,like Pacheco,Mc Caffrey and the two opposing kickers who came up with amazing kicks when the chips were down.

Both Purdy and Mahomes can be proud of their performances.Unreal game from Purdy in his first Superbowl.

Mahomes produced when the game was on the line.A real warrior amd leader.

💥Can’t wait for the new Season! 🏈👏👏

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lainers99

People are just obsessed with her (especially my daughter!) I don’t get it and it is actually infuriating. Way too much air time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

49ers

I don't like this new rule for over time. It should stay the first team to score wins

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Chiefs

Your daughter is why she gets so much air time, people would’ve been watching this Super Bowl who’ve never done so before because of Taylor Swift. The NFL are understandably marketing it for monetary reasons but in the AFC Championship Game, I think she was on screen for a total of 25 seconds. It’s being made a far bigger deal of than it’s worth. Irrational hatred or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Meh, given how long a game is she doesn't take up that much screen time. They are obviously milking it. Partially because of her fan base but also people get obsessed about hating her appearing as well which gers people talking about football more.

I don't get it either way. As is they delay the biggest half of the season so someone can play a concert. That seems to be a far bigger piece of pandering to the non football crowd and actually interferes with the game but never generates the same controversy. They aren't delaying the football game for her so I couldn't care less how much they pan to her in between plays when I am less interested in the screen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭FantasyFool

The old overtime rules could be dictated by a coin flip. At least now both teams have a fair crack of the whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Chiefs

She’s bigger globally than the NFL anyways. certainly bigger on our Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Chiefs

I always think too much focus is placed on Longevity for GOAT conversations. I think 6-10 years is enough of a sample size to see what level was achieved. Obviously of course bonus points for doing it longer but I just don’t know about this having to have this 20 year career craic. I agree Mahomes is the best I’ve seen play as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Chiefs

It was too easy for whoever won the toss to kick a FG and finish it. The current system isn’t perfect but is better than before

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Chiefs

I bet she got more exposure on this thread than the actual thing people should have been commenting on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PostMahole

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Damien360

Nice one. Was looking for that since they showed the Nickelodeon box last night with SpongeBob and Patrick. A strange link to the game but sure why not.

• Advertisement

Seen a few interviews since. Coach Reid said it works both ways and he gets after Kelce on the sideline too and "we both understand that".

Kelce said when he was in Reid's ear he was just telling him how much he loves him 😆 and also that he owes his whole career to him so both seem to be ok with it post game. Im sure the win helped also.

Yeah saw Swift during the presentation. If thats the worst she has to be embarrassed about she'll be grand. 😀

Advertisement