Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the event of united Ireland could DUP attract a significant vote in the Republic / 26 Counties ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Speaking as the OP….would have to concede this thread isn't ageing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Too true, but the question " could DUP attract a significant vote in the Republic / 26 Counties ?" is a bit like asking could an unionist attract a significant number of admirers at a Wolfe Tones gig or would Charlie Bird have got beaten up in O'Connell st Dublin and called "an Orange Bastard" if the Love Ulster Rally was not planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,906 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Neither the Wolfe Tones or the idiot on O'Connell St are political parties looking for votes, so not in the slightest 'a bit like'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭Suckler

Using Charlie Bird as a soap box still I see….

That attack had little to do with politics and more to do with the drunken antics of a degenerate that couldn't even begin to address the differences, difficulties and nuances of Northern Ireland.

Ah now calling poor Charlie Bird "an idiot" is a bit much, just because he was beaten up in early / mid afternoon Dublin and hospitalised by a mob of three who called him "an Orange Bastard".

I remember once someone standing for election as a unionist here in the 26 counties but afaik the intimidation and abuse he got was unreal. Maybe they were different times though.

• Advertisement

Ah now calling poor Charlie Bird "an idiot" is a bit much, just because he was beaten up

The depths you'll go to score points is astounding in its stupidity.

I'll entertain your switch and bait here and pretend too that I was referring to Charlie Bird, he was not a political party either.

So the point stands - it is not remotely 'a bit like' the DUP looking for votes here after a UI.

The similarity is people getting attacked by thugs because they are / were perceived to be unionists / "orange bastards".

None of the people involved were 'Unionist politicians' Francis.
    Charlie Bird was a journalist and his attacker was a thug.

The Wolfe Tones are a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Exactly. Also they could and did not even come up with one idea never mind one good idea to move it on were just all negative and in the end they caved which was so good to watch.

So No. They are a party stuck in the past a past that's long gone. They would have nothing inventive or new to offer. They would have a better chance of getting people to vote for them in Russia or Afghanistan.

I would vote No to them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Hopefully (unless it is a cynical bit of political playacting) they have realised that there is no future for them if they continue the fundamentalist, supremacist line in Northern Ireland as it is.

We have seen that they can be conciliatory and can embrace things like, a nationalist FM, the Irish language and cultural parity of esteem.
    I think if a UI happened that pragmatists would eventually prevail or the party would die out. No reason why they would not appeal to some of the more conservative voters here, if they allow themselves to evolve. All normal political parties do evolve.

There was more than one thug who attacked Charlie Bird on O'Connell st. Dublin and who called him "an Orange Bastard". You are right though, the people (the "good Republicans" as your party calls them) who attacked Unionist politicians (eg who murdered Bradford and Edgar Graham) had something in common with those rioters in O'Connel st who attacked Charlie Bird : they were all thugs.

Quite the opposite, the point is the intimidation and attacks on Unionists.

Read the thread title.

Would you vote for the DUP in a UI?

Unfortunately it would be a brave DUP politician who would stand for election here: at best, he would have his tyres slashed pretty quickly.

Because it is a very hypothetical question: in a U.I., there would be no DUP politicians standing for election in the 26 counties. Traditionally, unionists who have stuck their head above the parapet here in the 26 counties have been intimidated or worse. Charlie Bird got beaten up / hospitalised on O'Connell st Dublin by a mob who just thought he was "a Orange Bastard" ( that is what they called him.)

Charlie Bird wasn't a DUP politician so your analogy again falls at the first hurdle. He wasn't even Unionist. Nor was he a protestant.

It would be better for you not to use Charlie Bird as soap box. It's continuously depraved and immoral of you.

So the DUP would fold up the tent along with all other Unionist parties?

Abandon those they represent?
    Very pessimistic outlook really.

• Advertisement

I am more than very well aware that Charlie Bird wasn't a DUP politician, or even a Unionist, or even a protestant. However the mob attacked him because they thought that he was "an Orange Bastard". That is unionists and protestants are sometimes referred as by some here in the 26 counties.

Hell, even some catholic nationalist politician are sometimes referred to as unionists in a degrogatory way by some : for example John Bruton, ex taoiseach, had a nickname of "John Unionist Bruton" from some. And his colleague before he was murdered by the pIRA, fellow Fine Gael politician Billy Fox, was referred to as a B-special by FF ministers Kevin Boland and Brian Lenihan : these ministers were forced to apologise after describing him as a B-Special. Imagine what would have happened to him and his family ( his girlfriends house was burned to the ground by the pIRA, who symbolically put the family bible on the fire) if he was a DUP politician south of the border?

Politicians from both sides were attacked and maligned during the conflict/war which is over for 25 years now.
    A UI will be a democratic decision of a majority if it happens.

And you believe the DUP and Unionists will refuse to be democrats and represent their people in a new Ireland.
    I disagree. I think they will.

Ok so you are aware that he has nothing to do with the point you're trying to make but you need to continue to use it in a depraved and morally inept manner

As for John Bruton your point falls down again. The man became one of the ROI's best Taoisigh, laid the foundations for the GFA and led the Fine Gael a number of times. Returned to the Dail by constituents and then a successful term in Europe.

But I'm sure your German friend with the English box of biscuits has a better anecdote.

While Taoiseach and as a FG politician, why was Bruton dubbed “John Unionist” .

Why was his colleague before he was murdered by the pIRA, fellow Fine Gael politician Billy Fox, was referred to as a B-special by FF ministers Kevin Boland and Brian Lenihan?

Why was his girlfriend's family house butrned by the pIRA and the bible - as often was the case- symbolically put on the flames first?

Why was Charlie Bird attacked by the mob in O'Connell st Dublin and called "an Orange Bastard"? The reason is because the thugs thought (in their eyes) he was an Orange Bastard.

And you think a DUP politician could last more than an hour or two in politics here ( south of the border) without getting his tyres slashed, as the very least?

The most current example of politicians being threatened are our own ministers in Belfast. Coveney and Varadkar.

As they should have done, they ignored it and got on with their work.

The absurd idea you present is that the DUP will just give up and not represent their electorate in a UI.

John Bruton lasted more than "An hour or two" and had a more than successful career despite the name calling.

Charlie Bird wasn't protestant, a politician or a unionist (we've been over this yet you despicably use him as soap box.)

You could also look at Conor Cruise O'Brien as another (eventual) Unionist that had a successful career.

But your point is, as usual, littered with inaccuracies and full of the same copy and paste efforts that have failed you before. But we know you have no issue with lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭maebee

I can perfectly understand the difference in being British or Irish but do not understand the difference in being Protestant or Catholic. The religions are two cheeks of the same arse to me. Rubbish.

The O.P.'s question was "In the event of united Ireland could DUP attract a significant vote in the Republic / 26 Counties?"  We are talking about the 26 counties. Nothing to do with the electorate in the 6 counties, which is where the DUP work.

John Bruton was a nationalist politician but because he was a fair one, he got labelled as " John Unionist Bruton" by extremist Republicans. Extremist Republicans (the pIRA) murdered the protestant colleague he had in Dail Eireann, Billy Fox, and burnt his girlfriends house + bible.

Yes, of course Charlie Bird wasn't a DUP politician, or even a Unionist, or even a protestant. However the mob attacked him because they thought that he was "an Orange Bastard". That is unionists and protestants are sometimes referred as by some here in the 26 counties.

Do you honestly think a DUP politician with his red white and blue logo's would be able to exist more than a few hours south of the border before getting his tyres slashed? I suppose you will think BBC television licence vans would have lasted been welcomed in Cullyhanna and Crossmaglen during the troubles….sorry to let you know, I saw vehicles being burnt out for less.

Yes, of course Charlie Bird wasn't a DUP politician, or even a Unionist, or even a protestant. However the mob attacked him because they thought that he was "an Orange Bastard". That is unionists and protestants are sometimes referred as by some here in the 26 counties.

The mob attacked him because they were drunken degenerates. Now that we've established that your Charlie Bird annecdotes (and the lies you've told about him recently) have nothing to do with the subject, you could show an ounce of morality and decency and stop using his name perpetually.

Do you honestly think a DUP politician with his red white and blue logo's would be able to exist more than a few hours south of the border before getting his tyres slashed?

Yes, they would be able to exist- the question posed by the thread is "would they attract significant vote". Unless thet more amenable to change, conciliation and

I suppose you will think BBC television licence vans would have lasted been welcomed in Cullyhanna and Crossmaglen during the troubles….sorry to let you know, I saw vehicles being burnt out for less.

Of course you did…right after you met the nice UDR men at the checkpoints (and didn't give them any cheek) and talked to the German about the differences between east & west….or when your neighbour brought out the "english" biscuits (long before Lidl and Aldi)

• Advertisement

NI won't exist as an electorate in a UI. All politicians will have to represent their electorate in a central parliament. The DUP will be 'working in that environment.

Advertisement