Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the event of united Ireland could DUP attract a significant vote in the Republic / 26 Counties ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

OP seems confused about what the letters D, U and P stand for.

Here is a clue, from their party mission statement:

Our vision is to maintain and enhance Northern Ireland’s constitutional position within the United Kingdom

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This could be the stupidest proposition for a thread in history.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mod: I'm aware but figured as it had received a number of replies, I'd leave it.

My own personal opinion is that the DUP will fizzle out in a UI and eventually merge with some other party, possibly a rebranded UUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

No hotties in the dup. Only auld lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think you are probably correct.

While still the leader of the DUP Foster said she would abandon the party and it's voters and leave the country if there was a UI.

Doesn't augur well for the party's survival.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No. If people really wanted hardcore anti-woke drivel, the various failed attempts at creating such parties would have yielded fruit. A party which embraces the Ussher chronology, creationism, and general hardcore bible-thumping for everyone but themselves isn't going to do well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Well they are a hard right conservative Christian party that many on boards.ie and twitter have supposedly wanted for years so surely they get a big vote...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I wonder would the pro-union raison d'etre have any appeal to the 100 odd thousand UK citizens living in Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would think that the UK citizens (plus those that are now Irish citizens) are more Irish than the Irish themselves.

The last thing they would want is union with the current UK - that is why they left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That worked out great for Renua and their many forebears who struggled to break 100 votes.

Life ain't always empty.

Maybe they came here to get away from that sort of nonsense?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Yes I believe so as there are many people in todays republic that seem to hate Irish republicans as much as the Ulster unionists do. Just look at how much hate Sinn Fein gets on boards.ie. I feel that some southerners have much in common with Ulster unionists. I would actually go as far as saying that a small percentage of southerners secretly wish they were still part of the UK.

They only dislike the south because they have the notion that they are all extreme republican Celtic fan types. Most DUP voters never travel to the south much so they don't even know what it is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The ultra conservative religious demographic they might hope to attract are generally also old school catholic 'brits out' type nationalists so NO

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

There won't be a DUP when there is a united Ireland, they'll be equivalent to wasting your vote on the greens.

I don't understand that logic (if there is any logic in your thinkings).

I'm completely opposed to the Republicanism that we were offered by the likes of the paramilitary groups. I also would not vote for SF simply because of their politics and policies. How exactly does that make me wish that I was still part of the UK?

I also forgot to mention another thing that the DUP and many Southerners have in common. Their dislike for the Catholic church.

Mod: OK, I'm going to step in now - your posts do appear to be trolling. So consider this to be a gentle warning. The next one won't be so gentle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I would actually go as far as saying that a small percentage of southerners secretly wish they were still part of the UK.

How does a dislike for Sinn Fein hop, skip and jump all the way to open unionism? A distaste for a political party hardly equates to a "secret" wish to be part of the UK. And even if there were I doubt many would retain that desire in light of the continuing self-sanctioning that is Brexit.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement

It takes all sorts but personally I'm not a fan of cold blooded murderers - especially those who claim to have killed in my name when I and my forebears explicitly voted against such slaughter.

Life ain't always empty.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I thought the Arlene Foster said that in the event of a UI she would be leaving. Presumably many more would be of the same mind, so maybe there will be few left.

That already happened in the 1920s following independence when many unionists left.

So, NO, not many Irish voters will be voting DUP.

I doubt that that many people who'd been living here for generations left (unless they lived in a stately home and it was burned out!)

There were lots of British-born civil servants, army officers, etc. working here and when their job went, they went too.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭Shoog

No, next question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In all likelihood there'd be some cushy number promised the Unionist hierarchies to be part of the new Ireland, as community representatives if nothing else. Foster might say she'd leave but if there was the prospect of being a big fish in a small pool she might change her tune. Whatever shape or form a UI takes it'd surely have to contain some kind of "protected" status for the anxious unionist community being pulled into a scenario they didn't support...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Emma's a Little ...

And then there was the whole Mrs Robinson scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its always been my opinion that the only way to get it over the line would be a federal structure with regional assemblies. This would be an equally difficult idea to sell in Dublin as in Belfast - as both have a very centralized command and control mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There was a fair amount of good old ethnic cleansing going on in the 1920s. Particularly down in Cork and even the SE. I have distant relatives who ran a sweet shop in a provincial town and who were threatened in the 1930s, had to close up and moved to Belfast for safety. We want your shop so feck off.

If the DUP or UUP were a party down south, I'd look at their policies like any other and vote accordingly.

• Advertisement

If you mean by federal structure retaining Stormont or NI, then that is going to be a non starter for the vast majority of Irish voters.

No matter how the federal structures are configured, the fact that Dublin/greater Dublin has too many living there to completely dominate any federal divisions, and the economy of the Ireland.

Advertisement