Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the event of united Ireland could DUP attract a significant vote in the Republic / 26 Counties ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Would there be about 8% of the population of the Republic who would vote to return to the Commonwealth?

Before Brexit? Maybe. After and since 2016? I'd say any lasting appeal of British institutions well and truly disintegrated in the face of Britain's choice to be an economic parriah.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Authoritative Irish times survey...

To be honest, I'd like a second opinion.

There will always be a very small cohort who will support the opposite of what everyone else is supporting. Then some who won’t have forgiven the IRA, never mind about Loyalist atrocities. Others who wished we were under British rule all the time and only see great things about the British Empire. They might get 2% or more vote from original republic citizens as well as from unionist citizens of old NI. A minority overall, but not one to be dismissed as totally irrelevant.

Then when economy and other stuff goes down the pan, and it might initially before things settled in, some would view it as failure of a united Ireland, and DUP might start gathering votes from those dissatisfied. There would undoubtedly be plenty of elements of unrest in certain quarters from time to time. I’d be very nervous of how Ireland might shape up.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Prof Brendan O’Leary a distinguished politician scientist in an Ivy League US university, some one who identifies as a nationalist and has written books on a UI is behind it…. This would be the gold standard in terms of opinion polling and analysis, but you probably know all this anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A 9 county Ulster assembly will have a strong nationalist majority. Even a six county one will no longer have a unionist majority, after all this is post a successful UI vote. So what is the point?

There really is no point keeping Stormont and just changing the flag on the roof. NI is a failure and a UI vote means that NI's existence will have been rejected.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

The DUP absolutely could tap into a voter demographic down here , farmers might be inclined to vote for them as they have always been very strongly pro agriculture

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There will be more people not born in Ireland than Unionists.

I doubt unionism will appeal to that cohort. The DUP are a subset of unionism, so their appeal will be even less.

Now the DUP are anti-Irish in every respect, so I can not see their appeal for anybody outside their own little bubble.

They can't trade on anti irishness if the island is united , they absolutely could court social conservatives etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Do you mean by 'social conservatives' the ones who mock the country by their constant spiel of 'only in Ireland'.

No , I don't mean that voters down here will likely vote for the DUP in large numbers though through the passage of time, who knows?

A hundred years ago in America, hardly any Irish Catholics would consider voting Republican as they were viewed as anti Catholic or least the party of WASP,s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You clearly have not spent much time in rural Ireland if you think they would vote for Unionists.

And Unionists were not pro agriculture just pro landed gentry who happened to own all the farms.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

8% ? 0.27% of the electorate voted for Herman Kelly in the last EU election so there's no support for leaving the EU which would be needed to join the UK.

Different people watch different soap operas. Some watch (job stealing immigrants The Saxe-Coburg-Gotha's) The Windsor's , I'm watching Brexit it's been going since 2015 and still going. In both there may be some upcoming cast changes.

Irish Electorate is now 3,438,566 and 2022 figure for NI was 1,373,731

For a UI it'd be 3 million votes if there was a 62.3% turnout

The core DUP support is ~ 184,000 ( GE 2015 184,260 Assembly 2022 184,002 )

DUP looking at ~ 6% First Preference

Assuming they got 6% FPV, how many transfers would they need to stay in the race?

I doubt they would get any transfers unless they changed their pitch to the voters.

Most Protestant farmers in the north weren't ( and aren't ) gentry

The gentry were Anglican - COI and more prominent in the south, DUP voters and most Ulster Protestants are Presbyterian ( low church)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In the coming decades, I can't see the electorate wanting to vote for bible bashers bigots who believe the earth is a few thousand years old.

They would need to radically change their policies if they were to appeal to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

. . . until they decided to back Brexit, obviously. I don't think a reputation as a pro-farmer party can survive that.

Even if you identify as British, there are more attractive versions of Britishness than the one offered by the DUP.

A hundred years ago, when I think it's safe to say that there was a much larger contingent in the 26 counties that still held to a British identity/loyalty/sentiment, parties that expressed or appealed to that really struggled to find any traction. The Businessmen's Party, largely led by ex-Unionists and appealing to Protestant voters, found support mostly in Cork and Dublin. It contested the 1922 and 1923 elections, getting one seat in 1922 and two seats in 1923, plus a further two seats for the closely aligned "Cork Progressive Association". But it never got more than 2.3% of the national vote. It dissolved in 1924 and its voters and TDs mostly gravitated towards Cumman na nGaedhal.

Then there was the National League, founded in 1926 to advocate for support of the Treaty, a close relationship with the UK, continued membership of the Commonwealth and fiscal conservatism. They won 7.3% of the vote and 8 seats in June 1927, but in the September election the same year their vote collapsed to 1.6% and they held only two seats. The party wound up a couple of years later and the remnants folded into CnaG.

Much later, there was the Donegal Progressive Party, representing the Protestant and Unionist interest in Donegal in the 1980s and 1990s. They never managed to get a TD elected, but they did for some years hold one of Letterkenny's seven seats on Donegal County Council. However the party was largely a one-man show and when that one man stopped contesting elections in the early 2000s the party was deregistered.

In short, if there is much British identy/sentiment in the Republic, it has never expressed itself electorally in any signficant way. I really don't see the DUP as being the kind of party that could turn that around. To have any chance at all, they'd have to completely reinvent themselves as a rational, moderate, right-of-centre party, and that wouldn't be the DUP we know and love, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

The DUP are cut from the exact same cloth as the emerging Irish Far Right. They’ll get a fair few votes from them.

I don't think "the emerging Irish Far Right" have all that many votes for the DUP to get.

• Advertisement

There has never been an explicitly unionist party in the post-1922 26 counties, since even those who might have favoured re-integration into the UK would have recognised that it was not even a remote possibility, politically speaking. You might as well campaign for the restoration of the Irish High Kings. And that would be even more true in a hypothetical united Ireland following a border poll.

So, the question is not, would British-identifying people in Ireland vote for a unionist party? It's, would British-identifying people in Ireland vote for a post-unionist party? By which I mean, would they vote for a party that sought to appeal to their British identity, and express that through a political platform? Such a political platform would not advocate re-integration into the UK, but it would advocate, e.g., Commonwealth membership and participation, a close relationship with the UK, and the civil and political rights of British-identifying Irish citizens.

It's not true to say that they have never had any opportunity to vote for such a party because, as pointed out, there have been several such parties. But they have not enjoyed much success. Nor was this because of republican intimidation of those parties or their representatives or supporters; there really is very little evidence of this phenomenon.

Despite the failure of post-unionism to acheive much traction since 1922, it would be a different story in a united Ireland, which would have a relatively much larger British-identifying population. But of course that population would be concentrated in Ulster and would have a very Ulster focus. We have to ask ourselves if the British-identifying population in the south identifies first and foremost with Britain, or with Ulster? Does their Britishness express itself in the way exemplified by the DUP? Do they share the social conservatism of the DUP, for example? Does the the DUP brand of an insecure, domineering British identity really appeal to them? To be blunt, would they be politically more comfortable in the DUP, or in Fine Gael (which is where they mostly are right now)?

I think we both have some doubts about the DUP's ability to appeal to them, unless it changes fairly radically itself. That doesn't rule out the possibility of some other post-unionist party achieving more support in the southern part of a united Ireland than was acheived since 1922, of course. But, myself, I think a more broadly-based right-of-centre party that adopts policy positions designed to secure their support would probably do better than British community-based party.

Imagine we had a post-unionist party in the Republic right now. Such a party would face a dilemma over Brexit. Their principles of a close political alignment with the UK, of maintaining social and economic links with the UK, would all suggest that they should support Ireland leaving the EU along with the UK, so as to remain politically close to the UK and avoid trade barriers, etc, between Ireland and the UK, this being (for a post-unionist party) a higher priority than integration into the EU. But, obviously, adopting such a policy would be politically ruinous.

And that, I think, is the basic issue. If you see yourself as Irish, even as a British-identifying Irish person, you will prioritise the welfare and progress of Ireland. You will generally feel that closeness to Britain is, on the whole, the best thing for the welfare and progress of Ireland but where, as in this instance, it clearly isn't, your post-unionism doesn't lead you to favour harming Ireland in order to keep it tied to Britain. Hence the political support of British-identifying Irish people has tended to gravitate towards broad-based Irish parties; ultimately southern Protestants have more in common with their immediate neighbours, and share more interests with them, than they do with Ulster loyalists and, if they have to make a choice, they choose Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

this is a nonsensical thread. there is no 'union' involved in a UI

The problem with the DUP is they support a British culture that does not exist outside NI.

Where do people dress up in sashes and bowler hats and parade to the sound of pipe bands to prove their British heritage?

In fact, one test of nationality for most nations is the level of support for their soccer team, but Britain does not have a soccer team. They do not have a national anthem that is sung at their national soccer matches. England sing GSTK, Scotland sing Flower of Scotland, Welsh sing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau (Land of my fathers). Britain does not even have the country's name on their postage stamps - the only country not to do so.

Most English people describe themselves as English. They speak English. Belong to the Church of England. The Central Bank of England is the controller of the legal currency. Do they think they are primally English or British? Most Scottish people see themselves as Scottish before being British, and likewise the Welsh.

I think the DUP are unlikely to get ant traction outside Antrim.

Sure if FG reinvent themselves as a rational moderate centre right party ( one can dream) , the DUP won't be a distant consideration for any voters down here

Regardless of what FG does or doesn't do, the DUP won't be a distant consideration for many voters down here. No voter who is looking for a rational moderate centre-right party is going to vote for the DUP as the nearest alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭Francis McM

You are so far wrong when you say "Nor was this because of republican intimidation of those parties or their representatives or supporters; there really is very little evidence of this phenomenon."

The house burnings and murders and phone calls in the middle of the night and tyres slashed and grafitti daubed on walls have nothing at all to do with it, says you. Even moderate nationalists like John Bruton was daubed "John Unionist Bruton" by some as an insult. His protestant colleague in Fine Gael, Billy Fox from co. Monaghan, was called a "B Special" in the Dail by two FF ministers, some time before Billy Fox was murdered by the pIRA.

Unionists south of the border tend to keep their heads down post Irish Independence.

Advertisement