Advertisement
Help Keep Boards Alive. Support us by going ad free today. See here: https://subscriptions.boards.ie/.
https://www.boards.ie/group/1878-subscribers-forum

Private Group for paid up members of Boards.ie. Join the club.
Hi all, please see this major site announcement: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058427594/boards-ie-2026

Stardust - why is it taking so long?

124»

Comments

  • Site Banned Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭political analyst


    The point of a tribunal of inquiry is to find the truth. There's no rule that said the government has to wait for the funerals of victims of a disaster to take place before holding a tribunal of inquiry into that disaster. So how was it insensitive? I was reading in The Sunday Times that she said she was labelled as an arsonist. But Judge Keane never accused a particular person or group of people of starting the fire. It wasn't arson but, if it had been arson, it would've been possible for an unknown third party to be responsible for it.



  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭witchgirl26


    I think the measure of adequacy here has to be the families of the victims accepting it as such. The apology isn't meant for other people but for them. So if they're happy with the wording of the State apology, I don't think it's up to anyone else to say much on it.

    I actually watched the whole session & saw the apologies from Richard Bruton & Sean Haughey. I did think that Bruton's came across a bit more genuine but can understand Annette Keegan's unwillingness to accept it as too little, too late. Haughey's one did not come across as sincere at all. Or didn't seem to recognise his own failings. I wouldn't be asking him to apologise for what his father did or didn't too but his own part in not doing more.



  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭witchgirl26


    I think what the families meant is that by coming to the judgement of "probable arson" it was labelling someone who was either a deceased victim or a survivor of it as the person who started it. Therefore all of them essentially under a cloud of suspicion as to being the one who caused this as opposed to what really happened. No direct finger of blame pointed - but the finger of suspicion firmly pointed at the victims. Also there was no evidence of probably arson at the time which really raises questions around that verdict.



  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭Bredabe


    THIS, exactly even tho I was far away I was still told I was one of the stardust fire crew(arsonist) because of the residual of my northside accent.

    The "shame" attributed to the victims may have been part of the reason ppl didn't push for an inquiry around and after the whitewash. Tho the climate was such that there was no one who could afford to launch one and professionals may have been slow to volunteer their services.

    Post edited by Bredabe on

    "Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.



  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭FishOnABike


    What insurance did the stardust have if a claim from DCC for malicious damage hasn't been possible if the fire had initially been ruled accidental.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭witchgirl26


    Apparently they had fire insurance according to evidence given in the inquest. They could have probably claimed on that depending on the details of their policy.



  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep


    Do you think that he was referring to butterly as the likely arsonist?



  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭witchgirl26


    In the original inquest? Unlikely as then there's no way that he would have gotten a payout from the council.



  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92,394 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1




Advertisement