Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stardust - why is it taking so long?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The poster is presumably talking about a pub that operated there, post-fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There's generally no statute of limitations on indictable offences (criminal offences which must be tried by a jury) under Irish law, save a few exceptions (like tax evasion): https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1951/act/2/section/7/enacted/en/html

There are limitations to summary offences and certain classes of civil cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Sorry, of course! Yes, I could never understand how it got any business at all. My apologies to MrRigsby. I've edited my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Even though I was young at the time I still clearly remember this tragedy and for me it always came down to exits being chained shut. Whoever was behind this decision - not the mere employees who were ordered to do so, but the order giver, and the order giver alone - should now be made answer in front of a judge and jury at a criminal trial.

The fact that the insurer refused to quote for fire cover is also remarkable and as such the owner would have been made quite aware of the reasons behind the decision. Even more astonishing is the payout out over half a million early-eighties pounds as a reward from the council! One of the central principles of insurance is that the compensation should only ever restore and not result in a profit, but the payout Mr. Butterly got is a full-on National Lottery win!

As the Taoiseach back in 1981 personally involved himself in the momentum of the investigation so will hopefully the Taoiseach in 2024.

As a final note, I would also have never set foot in the Artane House or Silver Swan in light of these events, but perhaps Mr. Butterly and his patrons had a different outlook on the cause of the fire and its victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I hope it is asked how come the Gardai or investigators did not find clear evidence the doors were chained. Chains don't burn nor would the steel bars that keep fire doors closed.

Was the wreckage swept by someone and the chains removed or was this evidence ignored or covered up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

I totally agree. I was young at the time too but remember it all too well. I'm not so concerned about how it started, fires can happen. But the fact the exits were chained is just astonishing. I could never understand why the owner and manager of the place weren't charged with a crime right there and then.

I think the families might be making a mistake today.

The full unequivocal apology from the government should have come first.

Then meet to discuss redress and next steps.
    I have no doubt Harris is as personally appalled and sympathetic as every normal person is, but as head of government he should have taken responsibility immediately after the verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Owner and manager (who I think are the same person) are known for being difficult ppl, also they are known to be well connected to a certain govt party, and the cost for the first whitewash inquiry were paid for by the state and mostly given to known associate of the then pm.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭podge3

Yeah, it looks like the taxpayers of today will again be paying for the mistakes of the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why did the families not challenge the 'probable arson' finding in the courts in the 1980s?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭doc22

What was the new information that changed the decision from 40 years ago? Why does the state seem to be on the hook for more redress from what it paid 30 years ago?

It was unlawful killing. That is why the families are entitled to redress. Personally I think they should recieve healthy compensation as well for what they have been put through by governments and others to get to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭pjordan

It's also worth remembering that it was the FF/PD Government of as recently as 18 years ago led by Bertie (with Micheal Martin as cabinet minister) and with Michael McDowell as Justice minister, that were continuing to deny the relatives the inquest they had long sought. It was only the postcard campaign constituted in the face of that crushing resistance that brought about the process that finally came to fruition last week. Even that recently we were still being presented with a multitude of reasons why such inquest wasn't possible or being told it was unlikely to bring about conclusions any different to the original inquiry.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-10053291.html

Post edited by pjordan on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

With what money?

It would have been exceptionally expensive to do so, and unlikely to find any legal team to do it pro bono and go up against what was clearly an FF related wall of complicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Well considering the victims were all from working class families & I remember hearing a statistic that something like 23 of them were the main breadwinner in the house, that might explain why they couldn't. Also trying to fight the establishment of the time - is it not obvious that considering it took 25 years to get the arson decision reversed & then another 10 before the then AG agreed to a new inquest as the original had an "insufficiency of inquiry". The hints are there.

I grew up in the area. Granted a few years after it happened. But something like that does seep into the fabric of the area & we all were aware of it. Growing up not only checking the fire exits in pubs/clubs but making sure they were clear. It was like it was ingrained in you from such a young age because of what happened. I am beyond happy that the families have now, finally, gotten the inquest they wanted & deserved & the verdict that was only right & proper.

But there were plenty of left-wing lawyers in this country back then, weren't there? One would've thought that some of them would've been willing to work pro bono in this case.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You would have needed lawyers, barristers, engineers and other expert witnesses etc.

It didn't happen because neither the money nor volunteers were there.

Are you trying to find an excuse to feel good about refusing them redress?

I am sure people who campaigned unrelentingly would have taken whatever avenue was feasible. It obviously was not feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Someone to work for free in the middle of a horrible recession? With the amount of work that would have had to go into this, it would have been mental for anyone to take this on. Fighting an uphill battle against a wealthy & well connected business man alongside the establishment itself who found that it was "probable arson". I think even with money, the families would have struggled to find someone to take that on!

You can see from the inquest that just happened that there was a huge team of lawyers & the inquest itself was a year long. People couldn't afford to work for nothing in the 80's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Why would the Government now seemingly 'fawn' all over the survivors families now - after the verdict?

Is it through fear? Trying to buddy up with them now to seem caring and sympathetic?

Perception ? "arent they great , sympathetic"….

They denied the families closure for nigh on 4 decades, and now once the ruling is made, they cant do enough for the families …..

If i was one of those poor families , id be telling Harris and all Government reps to go fcuk themselves ………….

Thats just me …..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Maybe if we're nice to them, they won't try and sue us for continually blocking them over decades?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

I asked in the other thread but got no answer - why did the owner of the premises receive compensation, and why was the arson finding important in him getting it? There isn't any general entitlement to compensation as a result of arson, is there?

There was back then.

I believe this act is what got rid of it - https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1981/act/9/enacted/en/print.html - commenced November 1981, so months after the fire.

There is still some entitlement to compensation but massively reduced, to real loss and also nothing for unauthorised structures which might have been relevant here (the fixtures and fittings were non-compliant, e.g. the synthetic carpets on the walls)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Does anyone know if/when the govt apology is televised?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Yes, apparently it is scheduled for transmission during Liveline. Exact time I am not sure of.

Should have been far more criticism of the government's record in Harris's speech instead of TD'splaining the horror to the families, who are only too well aware of it.
    Might have been adequate if the state didn't have a track record of treating people like this.

This article is free of charge.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/stardust-tragedy-lax-fire-laws-and-outdated-legislation-led-to-tragedy/a1543588883.html

Senior officials at the Dept of Local Govt (DLG) tried to thwart the effect of a 1979 ministerial directive giving more independence to chief fire officers, who had hitherto reported to county engineers and had no direct access to county managers.

One source said the engineers can strangle the fire services simply by not passing on more requests for more staff and better equipment and so on.

Why did DLG officials try to frustrate the 1979 directive?

What motive would county engineers have for obstructing chief fire officers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭pjordan

Annette Keegan's comments on Morning Ireland this morning re the individual weasley apologies of Richard Bruton and particularly Sean Haughey were telling if even a bit understated. As she put, it they smacked of now jumping on the bandwagon and trying to CYA's for PR purposes now that the narrative has changed utterly. I appreciate a son can't be held totally responsible for their fathers faults, but Sean Haughey was actively complicit for years as both a councillor and within the Dail in defending and upholding his fathers appaling legacy re the Stardust. Even the insensitivity of CJH in announcing the initial Justice Keane led inquiry during the funerals of Keegan's sisters was telling. Finally one must wonder does the still living 91 year old Justice Keane also have serious accountability issues arising out of this? He has also been notably silent over his part in the initial whitewash over the past few days

Advertisement