Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road House (Remake / Reboot)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

There’s barely a line of dialog spoken by anyone in the movie (particularly in the first 30 minutes or so) that wasn’t recorded in post, so bloody irritating!

When I heard this was being remade I rolled my eyes tbh (I did like the original when it came out), but I really like Gyllenhaal and then the trailer looked fun. However, I watched it last night and found it mostly fúcking annoying!

From the off, the whole thing is so hyper realised - the way the camera moves, nearly every single line of dialog recorded in post and then the way the fights are filmed (https://www.slashfilm.com/1529592/road-house-remake-pillow-fights-punches-look-brutal/) ; they were going for visceral realism and failed; it all looks so fake. It’s like a bloody cartoon and no one’s more cartoonish than McGregor - he’s the most coked up bad guy in the history of film and a truly awful actor to boot. He walks like a waddling duck due to flexing every muscle he has at every moment 🙄

I’ve a got time for Liman but there were a lot of bad stylistic decisions made on this one, 3/10.

Post edited by Shred on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My biggest problem with the whole thing is the bar was actually nice, the bar fights looked totally forced and without the humour of the original. Double deuce is a total **** hole in the original full of white thrash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

That wasn’t bad at all. People here are taking it way too seriously, it was mindless fun and an easy story to follow. And I don’t think Conor was that bad in it, his character was over the top ridiculous and the comedy element of the film, hence the ending. There could be a sequel or his character in another similar type film. 4 stars out of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

From the reviews here you'd swear it was akin to apocalypse now up to the point conor appeared 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

You would presume Liman and gyllenhalll, however you spell it took home most of the budget from this, which is a smart move

Cheap

99% of the new studio movies are like this, the writing is the worst bit

And McGregor, what has he done to his face, he was never blessed with looks, but it's like plastic surgery gone wrong

The original is one of my faves, some people have charisma, swayze and Elliot just have it

It's objectively a bad movie on paper, even after watching it it's hard to say it's a good movie, but it's just so enjoyable

Like many 80s movies

Also the band in it are just awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 KkomradeWarrior

The reviews I read were not the most positive. But I'll take a look for myself and give a review.

They have dumped a load of it on YouTube if you want to look before paying out

It’s on Prime, nobody is paying to watch it, nothing they not already paying for Prime.

Are certain items not extra on prime, newer movies etc

Dunno, not for me anyway. I dunno how AP would differentiate between a new release anyway, their front end isn’t great and not very user friendly.

• Advertisement

did you watch this? If so it was free, the app certainly can differentiate between free and not free, seen it with me own eyes and thus was years ago

I watched it for free, as part of my €6.99 monthly subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

This was very poor and way to dragged out, 2 hours. Didn't expect much from McGregor and wasn't let down but Jake Gyllenhaal seemed like he was just going through the motions.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

For me Billy Magnussen as Ben Brandt the ott chewing the scenery hamming it up baddie was mvp

I think Frankie had more spark with Dalton than the Doc Ellie, who was just awful

Jake was OK as Dalton but some of the deadpan humour lines just didn't land and "the romance" had zero chemistry (Patrick and Kelly were sizzling hot in the original but Patrick seemed to have chemistry with every leading lady)

I think if you just watch without comparing to the original, it's fine, I laughed at Conor who was just playing a more hyper version of himself

I did wonder if someone like Jason Statham would have been a better choice than Jake as Dalton

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

McGregors bloated face reminded me of all of Mickey Rourkes botched plastic surgerys and drug addiction did to his face.

Regards,

P.

But the before and after we're like 30 years apart on rourke

This is 1 year

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Whispers about McGregor being added to the fast and furious team ?

He's a better actor than Vin Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

Hmmm......

Its a low low bar, but no, no hes just not.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

He is, it's simply not possible to be a worse actor than Vin Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 30,833 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Unfortunately, it is, particularly when it's tried by people who aren't actors. Poor auld Connor would be dragging a bad standard down even further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

Take a look at mc gregors performance in roadhouse again.....if you can.

One of the few good things can be said about vin diesel is hes not conor mc gregor

In fairness to vin diesel he was cast well in pitch black.....

Whereas pigeon strut dub accent cmcg wouldnt be convicing playing a version of himself in a 30second add for his own whiskey...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Not great but I expected that.

Thought some of the fight scenes were done quite well and McGregor's natural athleticism made it more 'Believable'

Prob better than I thought but the bar started out very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

The scenes with McGregor look funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Actually like McGregor's performance it was totally over the top, one tone but he ran with it.

If his job was to be the villain he done it well I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Apart from the terrible CGI on the fighting which was terrible, like the Irishman terrible, rank

A decent film, forgot Jake is a good actor and fooking hell he got in good shape for the movie

McGregor is funny enough, couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, but he doesn't need to, he walks like he's been shafted up the arse for 10 hours, should grow back the beard go hide his hideous mug, damn he be ugly

But still give it 7 out of 10

Advertisement