Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road House (Remake / Reboot)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Twas a load a shite

A joke.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It’s grand however McGregor ruins it with every scene he is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Sat down with a few beers on a Friday night to watch this. Was really looking forward to a bit of a thrill.

What a letdown. It really was rubbish. Nothing to it at all. Could have been condensed into 30 minutes, and it wouldn't have lost any story line, character development etc. Don't know what they were thinking when they threw Conor McGregor into the mix. There are plenty of muscly bad guys in the acting world. He just makes the film absurd. He's like a non-green hulk buldozing his way around the movie sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Haven't seen Cillian Murphy receive that.

McGregor is just a scumbag who was a good fighter. Still a scumbag though (and a film destroyingly bad actor)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

The original is proper 80s cheese great bad movie.

Made great by the sheer charisma of Swayze and the chemistry with the, always, effortlessly cool Sam Elliott.

This film was on the cusp of being a good bad film but that went out the window with the arrival of McGregor. They already had a passable antagonist and just (well excellently if telegraphed) removed him.

From that point on it was pantomime and the whole film, basically, became a Reacher film.

Now I love Reacher but that's because it's Reacher. Roadhouse was never that.

As for the "diversity" comment above... It's Florida FFS. There was zero wrong with a mixed cast of original characters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

God, there are such muppets on boards just waiting to jump on other people's comments, and find offence. Get a life, you sad bastards. My point was not about the race of the female characters, it was about how Hollywood is so cynically lazy and stupid. Their idea of updating an old movie is always the same: all white cast, mostly males in the original (which, don't forget, is an action movie aimed at males), so let's change it now so that's it's mostly ethnic women and children surrounding the lead actor (who is still a white guy despite all the diverse casting!) and turn it into a movie not aimed at anyone. That's creative! It's supposed to be a violent, action movie, and it's the same lazy Hollywood: the (ethnic) women are strong, smart and sensible, including a wise beyond her years child, but they have zero personality or memorable characteristics. They are there because Hollywood wants representation but without any effort put into making the characters real or memorable. It makes me puke.

Like, Dalton is supposed to be the main protector of the bar; wouldn't it make sense to have him hire other tough guys as backup, not just the gay waiter from the White Lotus, or some guy he randomly picks up at the beach because the director must have thought "oh he needs some guys around him to help with the violence because it is an action movie and nice girls can't do that?". If they wanted to be a tiny bit less lazy, maybe have Dalton get some ethnic UFC buddies in as backup, maybe even a couple of tough ethnic female fighters? Have the bad guy be a black guy or woman. Why are all the evil millionaires white? Can't evil money hungry maniacs be black anymore? Not in Hollywood apparently. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Go on now. Find some offence in what I said, the daft racist that I am. And if you enjoy this kind of crap film, more power to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Everyone here is skating McGregor. I haven’t seen it yet and have no doubt he will be fairly rubbish an actor in it. But if you take a look at Miami Vice the film from the mid-00’s you can say the same about Colin Farrell. Taylor Swift if a superstar at her craft, she will probably go down in history as the greatest music act ever, but she too is fairly rubbish actress whenever she has dabbled in it. Let’s hope Conor is back fighting soon and does so for a few more years before he cannot any longer, who cares if he does a few hammy acting jobs in between.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But if you take a look at Miami Vice the film from the mid-00’s you can say the same about Colin Farrell.

I don't see how that tracks given Farrell already had a steady career, and famously Farrell was in the midst of his substance addictions - and claims he doesn't even remember shooting Miami Vice.

McGregor is a pretty boilerplate example of a sports star deciding to take a punt on acting. Presumably thinking it's a related field given the act of being a fighter. The more apt comparisons are wrestlers or other MMA fighters like Rhonda Rousey and the like, and that's a very varied smattering of "careers".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭larchielads

Ah lads some of ye are readin way too much into it. Its a cheesy leave yer brain at the door movie few beers and a laugh. Plenty movies like this made before and hope more are made. If your lookin for more than its the wrong film for u, go watch oscar nominated stuff. Im into both, i love epics with character and story development and all that jazz but sometimes ye need a bit of stuff like this.

I liked it regardless of who the villain was in real life and that the main actor has drifted as some might put it to not so serious roles. But this film was never gonna win an oscar lads, come on.

The movie was fine it was grand it was so bad i liked it if ye know what i mean. I knew what i was gettin into watchin this. And ill def watch it again some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

It's like stage actors always looking like they're on stage, put them in a TV show and its like they're talking to the audience and not the person on screen.

Same with athletes moving to acting, they're just the same persona as in the wrestling ring or whatever.

All of them, Hulk Hogan, stone cold, the rock, John Cena, brutal actors but they'll sell.

Even Stallone, van damme and Schwarzenegger never got the hang of being leading men despite having loads of attempts but they were in exceptional movies which were original for their time (well original before you start counting sequels which were more or less the same thing over and over). At least they made Arnold play a machine!

There's probably an exception or 2.

PS McGregor is a rich scrote

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Please keep it civil and don't attack other posters.

If you have an issue with a post, report it and we'll have a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I thought conor was the best thing in it and I hate the rapey scum

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I also like Gyllenhaal.

He has been in some excellent films over the years, Nightcrawler, Jarhead, Prisoners, End of Watch, Source Code, Zodiac, Nocturnal Animals, Life ans the guilty amongst others.

As for an ex of Taylor, well he was one of her many staged relationships.

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

With "Gen X" glasses on the original was pure late tail end 80's when this kind of movie was played for what it was. Cheese with extra cheese please. And it was good fun.

This remake was absolute garbage of the highest order. None of the charm or comedy of the original. Swayze was Roadhouse. His charisma drove the movie. Some reviews say McGregor was the highlight....Jesus thats a low bar. He was atrocious. He wasn't even acting, just being a **** that he does so well in real life.

Continuity was all over the place. Some of the bands in the bar were good. What was jake Gyllwhateveer thinking ? Hes far far better than this trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Not gonna lie, the scene where he was introduced and his face is obscured and blurred for several minutes, I was convinced it was Stellan Skarsgard. The nose, forehead and accent had me almost certain!

Me too absolutely !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I didn’t get all the hype about Nightcrawler. But End of Watch now that is a great movie, I would have it among his best. Donnie Darko and Brokeback mountain also not in your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah in fairness I don't think you can be too upset or surprised at the responses you get when you unnecessarily frame your post around race.

I don't agree with your gender argument... it's still a very dude-heavy movie. For women, there's the love interest (local doc, same as the first movie), then just the bar owner and the kid. Oh and at a push that waitress who gets like 3 lines. Everyone else in the whole movie is a man. Jessica Williams (Frankie, the bar owner) is a decent actor, would have preferred her role to have been more fleshed out and given more time and more things to do beyond exposition. I'm fine with the kid, it's a very functional role, with one job.

Can't see any valid complaint about the switch up in races either - The first one was set in Missouri. This one was set in the Florida Keys. Diverse casting makes sense here. (I would guess as well as just being a nice visual change, the fact they get a sweet sweet 25% tax credit for being able to shoot in the Dominican Republic played a massive - and probably overriding - part in that decision).

Tbh, it sounds like your issue is more to do with the writing. Which, yeah, fair enough, agreed. I don't hugely expect higher quality writing from a road house movie, it is what it is, but for sure some choices are definitely done solely as plot-functional paths of least resistance to service the few extra story elements they introduced here. One or two character's could've done with less time, while others - Frankie especially - needed more to do. I'd have liked if they pushed some of the over-the-top elements a bit more too. But I'm glad they did something a bit different tonally from the first one - nothing worse than a remake that tries to copy the original, it's just instantly pointless.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I watched the original movie yesterday before watching the remake.

Bad idea, the remake is so much worse in pretty much every way

I hate the CGI, and it's got nowhere near as many fun over the top gags as the original had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

It was alright as a bit of a laugh on a Saturday night with friends and a few beers.

It's not good but it's not bad either, I mean the original is a terrible but charming movie too.

Did think the first half was miles better than the second half and the last fight was atrocious, not sure what they were thinking with those weird sweeping shots and weird wide lens, looked like a video game.

McGregor was bad. His introduction scene was a decent laugh but it was obvious in the movie he's an amateur actor, over-acting in every scene with that frozen smile on his face. Super ham.

Overall it was fine. Enjoyed, would never watch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was actually disappointed in McGregor's performance, somehow. I thought it would be a laugh, but somehow edited together to look semi competent. It was just plain awful, turned a not great B movie into a farce. I watched it while drinking a can of Forged Irish Stout and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just terrible. I had my hopes up after the first half hour then it nosedived.

I love the original it's pure cheese but swayze has charm, chemistry between the actors, it's largely light hearted, fun and endlessly quotable.

Didn't mind McGregor, he was over the top but played the character quite well I thought.

Gyllenhaal runs off to save Ellie, I was like why? I couldn't tell if they even liked each other.

It was like part fight exhibition, part generic crime movie and part Roadhouse remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The stout is very nice, it's just a rebadged porterhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

100%

It was passable, ultimately forgettable until that fuckwit mc gregor appeared

Then it became horrendous, whatever that was it wasnt acting....

Im rarely repulsed by a film just on the basis of one "performance"....talk about stinking the gaff up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

This was just very ok, started of good but gradually got a bit boring. McGregor was woeful, that scene where he asked the woman to dance had me pleading "please don't show it". He also had that ridiculous scumbag pigeon walk.

There wasn't that much fighting, after his Dalton's first fight he became almost like a mentor to the two young fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Was all of McGregor’s dialogue dubbed? There’s something off when he’s talking and I can only put it down to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Was grand. Tastes like pretty much any other non major brand stout I've ever had out of a can.

Advertisement