Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm Henry HSE Nonsense

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The critique in the OP is specifically of a radio discussion about Covid precautions - very much focussed on the general public and not at all concerned with analysing exactly who can, and who cannot, become pregnant. In that context "pregnant people" works fine, and should avoid the very distracting discussion that the politically correct want to drag into everything.

To my mind "pregnant biological women", while not inaccurate, is redundant. Anyone who is pregnant must be a "biological woman". Thus, once you have identified that you are talking about someone who is pregnant, it's unecessary to add that that that someone is a "biological woman". We can deduce that from the information that they are pregnant, if we care to. The only reason for insisting on including express references to "biological woman" or similar terminology would be to make some political point about gender or gender identity, and if that's not germane to the public health message you are trying to communicate, it's probably best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's not an interview. It's a public information advert, where 'being scientific about it' is the fastest possible way to make sure you lose your audience.

Meh. Lots of terms are not biological. Pregnant people works as it includes cis women and trans men.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

Again, I don't have an issue with the radio discussion - I appreciate that pregnant person is completly fine in that context.

Agreed, anyone who is pregnant must be a biological woman. Once that deduction is made I suppose there is no issue.

Will, in a scientific biological context, "male" and "female" would be the default terms. You can use cow, bitch, woman, nanny in a context where the population you're discussing consists of bovines, canines, humans, caprines. But, honestly, you generally don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I really never thought we would get bogged down in the U.S. style bathroom debates, nor did I think the U.K. would either, but here we’ are. It seems the 1950s never quite went away for some.

T

This discussion is happening in a science/biology forum, where one would hope that science and specificilly biology are important.

That said, I ultimatly don't have an issue with the radio interview as mentioned above.

Once would assume that a pregnant person is a biologicial woman.

• Advertisement

One would hope that any discussion around public communications would be audience focused.

Would you assume a pregnant person is a biological woman or not?

I'd assume that the most inclusive language is the best option for public radio advert, which is exactly what was used.

Pregnant people includes all. It's perfectly fine.

Terry Pratchet

So again, would you assume a pregnant person was a biological woman?

Why would I need to assume anything? We've identified the most inclusive language that is appropriate for a public communication like this.

While agree with the majority of that - you cannot simply say a term is redundant in the context of a scientific conversation.

Certainly you can. In mathematics, for example, you wouldn't talk about a "right-angled orthogonal equilateral quadrilateral square". If it's a square, then it's right-angled, orthogonal, equilateral and orthogonal; actually adding those terms is redundant.

Similarly, with "pregnant biological woman", the words "biological woman" convey no additional information whatsoever. That's pretty much the definition of redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ah lads, this entire thread is a wind-up.

Just go back and read the OP and ask yourself if anyone could really be like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

them people may be pejorative in your world but not in the wider community who have a basic grasp of english grammar

People

People who need people

Are the luckiest people in the world

We're children, needing other children

And yet letting a grown-up pride

Hide all the need inside

Acting more like children than children

Lovers, are very special people

They're the luckiest people in the world

With one person 

One very special person 

A feeling deep in your soul 

Says you were half now you're whole

No more hunger and thirst

But first be a person who needs people

People who need people

With one person, one very special person

A feeling deep in your soul 

Says you were half, now you're whole

No more hunger and thirst

But first be a person who needs people

People who need people

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

As you descibe it - that's fair.

The assumption is that if one is pregnant, one is a biological woman - fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fcuking hell, seriously op! jesus christ, wheres the therapists!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Some thread in fairness. Would have made for some Tomorrows World episode back in the day, in the year 2024 men will be able to get pregnant without any genetic modifications, it's up there with if you give the Government more money they'll change the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....i ll try find my wallet!

seriously, who cares, weird sh1t happens, who cares, theres far more serious problems happening in the world.....

It's only an assumption if somebody makes it, and scientists are noted for not making unnecessary assumptions.

Terry Pratchet

I am a bit confused. You said that the term "biological woman" was redundant as anyone who is pregnant "must be a biological woman". Am I misrepresenting what you are saying?

Indeed, that would be a fine assumption to make.

Would you assume that a pregnant person was a biological woman or would you think its open to some interpretation? It's pretty simple question.

No, you're quite correct. My point is that there is no need, everytime pregnancy is discussed out loud, to take the time either to say that only biological women can become pregnant, or to ask the question whether others accept that only biological women can become pregnant. People who obsess about this usually have a political axe that they are seeking to grind. Science doesn't generally concern itself with these.

If we are discussing pregnancy, and you ask me whether I would assume that anyone who is pregnant must be a biological woman, I would say yes, that would be my assumption. But I only make an assumption because you have asked me to; if you hadn't asked me I would probably not have directed my mind to the question; and I would wonder why you felt the need to ask me.

Scientists don't make unecessary assumptions. A scientist writing a paper about pregnancy isn't going to make the assumption that anyone who is pregnant must be a biological woman unless that assumption is necessary to address the question which the paper seeks to address.

• Advertisement

Pregnant Person could mean cis woman, trans man or non binary person.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement