Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm Henry HSE Nonsense

Options
  • 23-01-2024 4:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

His current Radio broadcast Regarding covid 19 is all well & good in terms of public health , however when he lists vulnerable groups he says "PREGNANT PEOPLE " , even though the HSE website says PREGNANT WOMEN " , and in my understanding of biology only a woman can become pregnant , am I the only person whose noticed this ?

Post edited by Tree on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Women are people. Referring to women as "people" is not offensive or problematic and, if you think it is, you need to take a good, hard look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭beeker1

I think that only a woman can bring life into this world & implying a transgender man is capable of doing so is not only biological impossible but an insult to women , as for the marketing of menstrual pads for TG men ... madness ! And I can look at myself and say that some things are far more sacred than some absolute nonsense !!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Whoy doesn't he put out similar notices looking for people with testicular cancer? 🤔

A woman with testicular cancer would be a first !!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He's one of these parasites looking for new rules and regulations while those in wheelchairs struggle for basic facilities in their everyday lives before we look for 15 different designations at our nearest toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Quite a few girls manage to get pregnant.

I see no such implication. The only implication is that everyone who can have a baby is covered by the word "people", which is undeniable. Your determination to read in an implication about transgender men says more about you than it does about Colm Henry.

(PS: a trans man can indeed have a baby; they have all the necessary biological equipment, unless they have it surgically removed. It's trans women who would have a problem.)

A woman can only conceive , and if she is transitioning then carrying a child is an anathema to her since she wants to be recognised as a male , and since science despite hormone and breast implants hasn't managed to implant a uterus into a man then my argument that it's only a woman who can get pregnant and deliver a baby !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It is biologically possible for a trans man to be pregnant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

A trans man can get pregnant and have a baby too. It can happen. It does happen.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Of course , because she was born with all the essential biology that makes reproduction possible ! Ridiculous spurious post !

Its possible. It happens. I don't know how you can claim its not possible and it doesn't happen.

Terry Pratchet

I just answered that , what about a man transitioning to a woman are you going to say that's possible !!

No. Its not possible for a trans woman to get pregnant.

Terry Pratchet

Thanks ! That's my point , as you said "not possible for a trans woman to get pregnant " , so why did he deviate from HSE script !! Life is difficult enough especially that minefield of teenage sexuality & trying to fit in , but call a spade a spade , and it's only a woman who uniquely gives life !!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Your complaint really has little to do with Colm Henry or biology, does it? The entire thread is just a thinly veiled excuse to punch down at trans people.

Trans men can get pregnant and have babies therefore there's no issue at all with the term pregnant people because it includes women and trans men.

Terry Pratchet

Because, by using the word "people", a category which unarguably includes everyone who can get pregnant, he hoped to avoid the toxic culture warriors who are determined to obscure an important message about public health by ranting about whether words are being used in what they consider to be the politically correct sense.

He failed, of course, as this thread evidences. Apparently in the minds of the anti-woke crusaders there are some women who are not "people", or something. Who would have guessed? But I'll give him points for trying.

I'm not going around in circles here , yes a biological woman who wishes to become a man can of course conceive !!!

Yes agreed. A trans man can get pregnant and have a baby.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

He should have said 'pregnant biological women' which covers all the bases easily.

"People" is a pejorative term , in Ireland anyway , travellers & migrants are always referred to as them "people " ! I'm done going round in circles ! I'm a gentleman and as Tom Waites said , " A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the accordion but chooses not too " , Oiche mhaith !

"People" is pejorative? Seriously?

So when the HSE talks about homeless people, people with undiagnosed clinical conditions, Roma people, people aged over 65, people who are resident in care facilities, people with a disablity, people with certain medical conditions, people living or working in crowded settings and people from minority ethnic backgrounds (and, yes, the HSE uses all these terms) those are all pejorative? But the only time you are bothered by all this contempt is when they mention pregnant people?

I'm not really convinced, to be honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If your triggered by that you must absolutely fall apart in almost every social situation. It's like watching a Karen on YouTube get triggered by nothing, it's both amusing but ultimately sad if you pay anymore than the slightest bit of attention.

Pregnant people is perfectly fine because it covers cis women and trans men

Terry Pratchet

By the same reasoning so is "Pregnant Biological Women" - this is a biology forum so surely that is the correct terminology.

People covers cis women and trans men and works fine. No issue.

Terry Pratchet

Biological women is the term you'd use in a science context surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The advert wasn't made for the biology forum. The advert was made for the general public, so inclusive terminology works best.

• Advertisement

This is the biology forum though and the discussion is surely focused on biology?

I personally have no issue with the interview mentioned above - but if you are to be scientific about it the most acurate one is pregnant biological women, I am not sure why some cannot acknowledge that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement