Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental cost-where will it stop?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Its easier to outsource the management of the property and the renter to an external agency - to fully manage such a large volume of housing stock will require staff, processes and equipment - for sure they pay more than they could but on a carefully considered balance of best use of resource/time perhaps this is simply the preferred route.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

Landlords in Ireland have no interest or simply can't provide long term affordable housing to the massive amount of the population locked out of home ownership. People hate landlords because renting is a tax on being from a non wealthy household, ie you pay more than a mortgage holder does to live in a home you have no security in and will never own. The landlord profits from this unfairness. Thats why people who rent have issues with landlords.

The only way out of the housing crisis is to lending much higher amounts in 100% mortgages to people with proven track records of paying those levels in rentals or by building mass public housing to working people on affordable long term rates.

The current model of landlords providing housing for 30%+ of the population will never ever work. People will at best be homeless in old age and at worst end up in phases of homelessness or living with family throughout their working lives as landlords move them on, increase rent etc. Renting in Ireland is only set up for the short term, which worked fine when people renting for 2 years while saving a deposit but just causes mass alienation and despair for those trapped in its current set up

Outside of students and short term migrants no one wants to rent in Ireland. We are a nation of homeowners with social housing seen as acceptable for those who cant afford owning. No one stays in a HAP place if they are offered a council house nearby in a similar condition because they dont actually want to be in a private rental.

I am forced to rent due to lending rules, I rent from a large fund agency, they leave me alone and fix things when needed. If we have to have a private rental market professional funds are the lesser evil than the small coyboy owner who thinks he has more rights to the tenants home then the tenant does. In Europe they have a functional long term rental model because they have large funds and not small time bandits. Imagine paying more than the mortgage to live in your home and having the landlord dictate what colour your walls are, what frames you can hang and if you have a pet. Its nothing but discrimination against people who are not wealthy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

When there is council housing available for rent to all working people. I think councils must be given more power (money, easier CPOs) so that they can build thousands and thousands of houses to rent at subsidized rates to allow people who teach our kids, work in the shops and deliver post to actually live where they work. I am not saying give houses for almost free forever, no, no. Reasonable rents, but affordable on an average salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭SharkMX

We have 60k in savings between us for buying a house. It earns interest of €7 per day just sitting in the savings accounts. Of course there is Dirt on that. Would definitely have it in equities if it wasnt needed for a purchase.

If someone had €350k tied up in equity in a house they rented out, interest alone would get them about €15k minus Dirt nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You seem to have a very twisted view of reality and a massive sense of entitlement.

Firstly we have a tenant for over 35 years so that is pretty long term. I have brought her to many hospital appointments over the years. She has been promised a council home for at least 10 years with the last 2 years being told to expect a call soon.

Secondly of course anybody offered a council house is going to take it because it is a fantastic deal way better than being on HAP. The same way buying a property is better than renting.

Thirdly you have to insult small landlords because you already have an issue with them. You seem happy for foreign companies to funnel money out of economy making the country poorer and have less control over the rental market. Not the brightest thought if you want reduced rent

Fourthly you are under some delusion that big landlords don't have similar rules to small landlords. You are not allowed paint, have pets, hang pictures etc... in most private rental including the big boys. Them not catching you is not the same as being allowed.

You need to actually look up what discrimination is because you don't understand what it means. Not being able to afford something is not discrimination no matter how you feel. If somebody with more money than you rented they have the exact same restriction so no discrimination based on wealth.

You don;t seem to get that a landlord's mortgage is higher than a private mortgage and they also pay tax on the rental income which means to just break even the rent has to be more than what you would pay for a private mortgage. Landlords were quite willing to take this loss at the start but due to RPZ that isn't an option as you can't even match inflation with rent. So they are forced to put the rent price at a high rate from the start otherwise they will always be topping up the mortgage or effectively subsidizing the tenant.

The government are at fault here not the private landlords they are trying to use as social service. Why do you think private landlords should provide housing at a loss to keep rents down? Why would anybody invest in such a situation?

Ive just gone sale agreed on a house that is a former rental. From what I can gather from talking to the EA. The landlord owned the house next door and the one we are buying for 20 years. He had trouble with tenants in the house we are buying and sold the one next door 2 years ago. Only in the last few weeks have the tenants moved out of the one we are buying so it was just up for sale last week.

According to the EA even though the previous tenant hadnt paid rent in over a year, the rent for both properties was locked very low, so a potential investor would have only bee able to rent them out for less than 50% of the market value, so the owner decided to sell them both.

It suited us because we will be owner occupiers, but i can certainly see how a landlord could find better uses for their money than keeping it locked up in these two houses with very limited rental income.

More landlord whinge. You can moan all you want about having a pay a mortgage on your investments, but you refuse to address the social costs of a large proportion being forced to rent. You refuse to address what will happen long term to these people and in retirement.

How have we actually reached a point where something everyone took totally for granted in "the bad old days", working people owning a home is now considered entitlement. Id rather the bad times if renting is here to stay.

We had a system that worked, if you worked you could buy a house, if not you got a council, if you earned more while in the council house you can own it. Renting offers nothing.

What you need to realise is as home ownership declines more, anti landlords sentiment is going to keep growing. If paying tax on your passive income is so hard then do us all a favour and sell. Id be delighted for all small cowboys to sell tomorrow (tar and feathering would be better).

Until the views of renters as second class citizens and failures change then renters will always hate landlords. Based on the people that used to rent, before the crash changed lending rules and locked a generation out of home ownership in decent areas, I can be pretty sure your tenant of 35 years likely had a addiction problem and never worked. That was the profile of long term tenants, now those types are homeless and decent workers are living in rental hell without any prospects of a dignified life, but hey you get your sweet multiple property rights and can even do no fault evictions so who cares.

WOW! You are such a caring person who wants to treat people fairly. My tenant is not a addict but does have a permanent health issue but for a person who talks about discrimination it sounds like if somebody has particulate medical conditions (addiction) you want to discriminate against them. You certainly think yourself better

Didn't refuse to comment on long term effects of renting into retirement and you didn't mention it in the post I was replying to. It is none of my responsibility so what has it got to do with me? That is the governments responsibility

The point is owning a home is not an entitlement but you feel you should be able to so yes you have a sense of entitlement.

You say the old ways worked. Explain what happened to the Ballymun Towers and how well that worked? The most dangerous and crime ridden areas in the country are council estates. The system didn't work before and I take it you weren't old enough at the time to see what it was like. People with more than 5 kids living in a 3 bed often there well into adulthood. Standards have improved a lot and a lot of things allowed then are not allowed now.

Home-ownership in Ireland was the highest in the world at as our economy developed that was always going to change as it relied on high unemployment and low incomes. I am under no illusion that people hate landlords in this country but that is part of our post colonial chip on our shoulder. Rent is not passive income and requires a lot of work and risk. If I sold my property tomorrow you still couldn't afford it but you still want to commit violence against me. Your name calling and threats mean nothing to me, I provide a service and people don't have to avail of it. Met many a prospective tenant with your attitude and they give themselves away very easily because they are in a rage they can't contain.

Tell us what citizen rights you are denied as a renter? We already established rental rules apply to all and do not effect citizen rights so don't try that.

I as a citizen have the right to own property and rent it but you want that right taken away. You don't really care about rights you care about YOU and what YOU want. Were you bothered during the crash that rents dropped and additional charges added to rental income? If not why should landlords care about rent being out of reach for some tenants?

You are just angry and on top of that you aren't angry at the right people. The government are responsible for the care of it's citizens not one service industry. Are you yelling at the supermarkets to give their food away for free or at a loss?

Id much rather live in the Ballymun Towers than have a private landlord. Id love the state to build like that again as all the developed world does.

By renting Im deprived of the right of a secure home, I know at the moment it just says shelter (which disgustingly means for single men a hostel bed) but that will change in the constitution to the right to a home. A rental is not a home in Ireland as its insecure and you cannot decorate etc like in other countries.

You think I should be grateful of landlords when they have forced me into a housing situation that societies views as dead money. If you lived a day being looked upon as dead money while working 60 hour weeks to pay for it, after going to college as we got told you might understand why people are so pissed off.

You come on here and in the past on the journal.ie with another profile, going off about landlords rights but care little of the issues that every tenant raises. Id much rather the inconvenience of losing passive income (that you stated you got through inheritance as a family business, entitled) than having to deal with the hell of earth that is being a tenant in Ireland, having the depression and shame that comes from family calling you dead money

Most of my family, grandparents, one parent, aunts and uncles etc, came from council housing and got council housing in adulthood. Many bought these council houses. Today 90% of their kids (who mostly went to college) are either living at home or have emigrated. Im an outlier for being able to rent, though its looked at as paying dead money and stupid. Renting is not normal in Ireland, council housing and home ownership is

• Advertisement

See, you help your tenant out of the goodness of your heart. You are a benevolent landlord. This is so nice. I am sure when you you need to sell, you will provide a new place for your tenant? Or may be you have a provision for your tenant in your will? I would guess not.

The problem is not with you, but with the landlord system as a whole. Yes, in Europe, a lot of people rent, but there the system is drastically different.

Vulnerable people need to be protected by the state and they should not be at a mercy of nice landlords. And working people should be given opportunities to rent at council controlled houses. This is not just the question of personal dignity, this is the economy driver. If there is a school in Dublin, teachers who work there need to be able to live nearby, and not drive for an hour to get there, wasting time and resources. Otherwise Dublin becomes a very lopsided city, full of offices and houses for richer people, with "migrant" workers streaming into and out of the city every morning and evening. Councils must be allowed to shape the city the population profile by providing subsidized housing. You would say, oh no, our taxes will be used to build houses and what will I get out of it? You will get better schools, less tired nurses in a hospital near you, and you won't have to pay huge rent if you need to rent, less inflation because now it is more affordable to live.

It benefits everyone, except landlords, who would have to compete to rent out to the few stray students and temporary workers.

If Ballymun Towers were so great why did it fail and get knocked down? Were you ever in any of them? I very much doubt you would have been happy with the addicts living there given how you obviously feel about them.

You failed to point to a citizen right you don't have. Those countries where you can decorate also require you to return the property back before you leave. They don't provide kitchens or white goods. I let tenants decorate for a while but they just made a mess badly painting the place and then refusing to rectify. Blame your fellow tenants for it not being allowed. Your hope that they change the constitution still won't change landlord rights nor mean you get to grab the property.

No landlord has forced you to rent off them. You already said it was the lending rules that forced you so is there a gang of landlords and banker grabbing you off the street forcing you to rent?

Tell me my Journal profile name then and confirm you use the same profile name here and there. Never said I inherited my property I have said I manage other's property.

My family lived in council housing too. They then earned enough to buy other property and fix them up to be usable as homes. So they have done more to provide housing than your family have.

I can't tell if you are naive, ill informed or just unable to comprehend due to rage. How long do you think your "normal" existed? My grandmother and 2 grandfathers grew up in a tenement so I could say that was normal. What you want is what you think was some golden age when it certainly wasn't.

You may think it is hell to be a tenant in Ireland but I never ever said rent is dead money. You are paying for a service and you get it. You are the one claiming it is dead money and that all of society thinks the same. They don't. Your family sound horrible if they call you dead money that causes you to have little self worth. They have done more damage to you than I have by just trying to point out the reality of financing rental property

It is illegal to have to work 60 hours a week for one employer so you should probably be more angry with your employer than a landlord as they are exploiting you. If your chosen career overworks you and doesn't pay enough for the lifestyle you want then how is any of that my fault? What do you do for a living that put you in the situation you are in now? Or did a landlord or banker force you to take that career path?

I feel sorry for you with all your misdirected anger, abusive employer and family sounds like you need to talk to somebody about this rather than name calling and threatening strangers on the internet because they have a different view.

I dont have an abusive employer. I have to work two jobs to pay the 1500 it costs to rent a basic place by myself in Dublin. I work in PR/Marketing and my basic salary is 45,000, so I need the extra 200 a week from my weekend/weeknight job to manage. Thats because housing is out of my reach.

I have some family members who tell me renting is noting but dead money and why would I ever consider it. They dont get that I cant have 100% mortgages like they did. Most of my family dont understand why anyone would rent when they can live at home. I was ashamed living at home. I'll likely emigrate to Canada this year. Hopefully I wont be seen as a failure due to housing over there and wont have to do 60 hours a week for a poverty survival

Don't expect to move to Canada and suddenly be happy. You bring how you feel about the world with you. I am also not sure you have done your research on Canada. How much do you think you will earn there and how does that relate to housing costs? They are not exactly screaming out for PR/marketing people.

So your family are horrible to you and your employer is treating you well but you have to work an additional 20 hour over the weekend to make ends meet?

How old are you? You have some very strange views about the past. 100% mortgages were about for a relatively short period and required decent salaries and terms of employment. They weren't easy to get and there was also higher stamp duty. It really sounds like you don't actually know what was going on and just read about it and missed key details.

I have put a lot of questions to you for you to explain why you have such weird views and you are avoiding answering them.

Not sure what you expect to be able to purchase as a single person barely above the average wage or what you are renting. Is it a 3 bed house or a one bed apartment? You certainly can't be expecting a place in the city centre or close suburb when competing with a couple who both earn double your income. Were you aware marketing pays so little?

Jesus Christ. I earn the average salary, I didn't think that would lock me out of having my basic needs met.

Id be happier in Canada because immigrants dont have a social stigma around renting

Yes, I need to work 20 additional hours to get by. My rent is half of my basic salary. If I didnt work the extra hours Id never afford anything but food and water. Its a studio apartment. This is reality when you are too old to live in a house share (a mad concept for someone working full time from any basic level of dignity)

I expect to be able to purchase in the city because Im from here and all my single aunts and uncles (now between 50 - late 60s, Im 30) own in the city some worked checkouts. My siblings are much older than me and bought in their 20s during the 2000s.

If I cant expect a place in the city centre or a city suburb and I wont in the city where are I meant to live? Its not my fault the housing market is failing people. Do you expect working class people to all commute 2 hours a day if not in a relationship?

You say its not your responsibility to house people, yet you are choosing to be a housing provider. People need secuirty, if home ownership was "always going to change" then the rental market needs to change to German style security. Im totally happy with providing my own kitchen, white goods and furniture. Id love it in fact, I often look online and pick out the type of furniture Id like in my own home if I ever am able to have one.

The fact is you are not able or willing to provide secure long term housing, small landlords wont. Only the state and the type of investment REITs the continent has can. In Germany and Belgium the investment firms have fixed rents that dont increase over the duration of the tenancy, so with the impact of inflation a person who moves in at 25 can easily afford it on their state pension at 70. Squeezing small timers out of the market means that the state will also HAVE to provide housing to people in a way it refuses to now as the alternative would be mass homelessness and civil unrest

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shannonsurfer101

This is just a personal observation, the market for smaller compliant landlords has changed, why, numerous reasons. If the RPZ’s were lifted in the morning, every property would match and exceed already high rents.

We hear reasons of no profit, higher interest rates etc. Maybe for a few it’s their leveraging of risk in an investment was poorly calculated. You only have to scroll back on previous posts, ppl looking for advice on buy to let’s as they have 50k savings etc should they take out a 70% mortgage. Then there is no room when changes occur to cover potential losses.

Anyone looking to get into the property game need to bring more cash to the table and less borrowings.

Atm the only ppl making real money are the non compliant landlords, just look at the reports of how many have claimed the renters tax credit, why so low because the property owners are not registered with the RTB

Ray, your probably one of the good guys, but even you have to admit that the trajectory of rents is unsustainable, what happens when your tenants hit retirement age or if there younger plan to start a family and purchase there own home, but high rents restrict the saving capacity.

Maybe investors could funnel there money to the smaller builders/developers to get developments all across the country off the ground instead of buy to let’s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

But it's your choice to pay the €1,500 because you want to live on your own. A house share is far far cheaper and while it comes with obvious issues the upside is that you will have some hope of saving a deposit for a mortgage. Go to an area that's in less demand you'll save even more money. Even just going to a cheaper place in Dublin would lower your rent without talking about house shares.

On a salary of 45k there are one bed apartments and duplexs in Dublin can you could afford even in the present housing market. Your obvious problem is saving a deposit.

The reason a lot of people live at home or live in shared accommodation is to save for a deposit to buy their own place. It's the reason we need landlords in the first place. Not everyone wants to buy for a variety of different reasons or especially for younger people need time to save to buy. Or for that matter can't/don't want to live at home with their parents.

Landlords selling only benefits those who are in a position/looking to buy at the moment. It makes life harder for those looking to save for a house and anyone else renting as you less rental spaces available as owner occupiers tend to have lower occupancy rates when compared to rented accommodation.

The only way rent prices will come down is more housing have to be built. Which means more money from government and investment funds, facing down NIMBYs and the politicians of all stripes that support them, sorting out the planning process and related delays. You could also throw in updating rental legislation that has actual consequences for bad landlords and bad tenants.

Post edited by PeadarCo on

Sounds like they want everything and they want it NOW. No idea how to work towards a goal. Expect everything to be handed to them and when its not will blame anyone but themselves.

You are delusional if you think anybody on the average national salary is going to let you afford the highest priced area in the country, that is any country. Nothing has failed you it is just reality. The fact your family got state aid and were sold council houses is the reason there is none for you to rent as their is a limited amount of space and properties the city has.

Lets look at your claim your family are in their 50s with low cost council houses. Lets say they were 28 in 1992 making them 60 now which would include your family according to you. Now it was not easy to get a council house then as they were not building much council housing by then but you have single aunts/uncles who managed to get one. It has to have been a house because they don't sell other properties. They then have to live in that property 10 years so 38 in 2002 and they get a mortgage over say 25 years so still paying that mortgage today and another few years. That means they went into negative equity at some point. We can take it that your family weren't single without children as it has to be a house and they didn't build 1 bed houses in social housing. So they had at least one child but most likely more because council housing was scarce as already stated. Now you are saying you should be ENTITLED to council housing like back in the day, you wouldn't have got it then. They actually had to change the rules because single men could never get council housing.You are aware Dublin city is the area within the canals? Doubt they have houses within that area. It certainly won't be in a nice area. There is a disconnect between reality and what you are claiming to the point I think your exaggerations are so untrue to be false statements. Single people being offered council houses from 1985-1995 was extremely rare yet multiple family members of your got them, I am calling that BS. It is actually why Ballymun Towers ended up with so many single men as the families had priority on houses and turned down living in the towers because they would get a council house they could buy later.

You have already stated the social stigma you feel is from your own family. That is a very personal problem

I provide a service and that does not mean I am responsible to provide social housing. That will never change from being the governments responsibility

Have you any idea why there is so many rentals in Europe and how it is rent controlled? First you have to destroy huge sections of your country and particularly the cities. Then eliminate a huge section of your population in war. Seize lands from the dead and get reparations and international funding to build. Then you can have things like Germany and Belgium. I would gladdly like the same rules here where when you stop paying rent eviction is quick and easy and doesn't take 2 years with no rent being paid. This is a risk all landlords should take account of when setting rents.

You are 30 and are very ill informed I decades of knowledge you don't have along with actually being around in the times you speak of. Your claims of the past are simply wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

TBF, at 30 years of age, the last thing you would want is to be back in a single bed under your parents roof. House sharing is still acceptable at that age but it slowly gets harder as you get older.

I wouldnt say its his fault either, he just wants some basic living setup. He isnt asking to live in a 5 bed detached home in d4 like.I think the issue is that LL are also not the money grabbing c***s either. Like everyone else they are just following market supply and demand and trying to keep afloat and make a small bit of money every year while the tax man takes half of what little money is left over after being a ll. Im not advocating for changing taxes as LL should pay the same amount as everyone else but i dont like how the government stifles LL ability to operate like a normal business be it through RPZ or ability to get rid of bad tenants, sue bad tenants etc.

Everyone wants to have more money in their pocket, generate wealth. Everyone are at different stages of this wealth generation but i dont understand why some complain about wealth generation when they are trying to do the exact same thing.

The only way to solve the renting crisis specifically is to create extra rental stock. Its as simple as that. More rental stock with existing demand will naturally cause rents to go down. There is no point getting angry at the supplier of the stock as at the end of the day, without the supplier, there is no rental stock. We need to increase rental stock by 1.keeping existing small LL and attract new small ll 2.Using tax payer money to build more rental specific stock(I dont agree with the councils buying off private developers as that just limits would be buyers availability) 3. Allows REITs continue to operate as they have however i dont agree with long term leases the government do with these as there is no risk for the REITs then and its a horrible long term contract for the government. Let REITS offer private rentals to the people that can afford them.

• Advertisement

I am actually holding off developing the property until she gets her council house.

Vulnerable need to be protected by those who are responsible for their care which is the government not one industry. You aren't calling for the supermarkets giving their food away for free.

Dublin is developing just like other cities do which does mean the lower paid commute into the city for work and then back out. London, Paris,New York etc... that is what happens. I don't think it is great but it functions. You talk as like it doesn't happen and can't work. It is already here.

Landlords don't want social welfare tenants to the extent they changed the law to make it against the law to refuse. You have some strange view on who rents. You think that all of a sudden people in there first job is going to buy straight away? After all only students and temporary worker will only rent. Are you the Victor who got banned before with a new name?

Family members of that age would mostly be living in Clondalkin and Tallaght, not between the canals. In fact even in the 60s my grandparents social housing was not between the canals. By Dublin City I mean the non county Dublin, the post coded areas. I would have had family members who lived at home until their 40s too when the family home was sold. I never knew of anyone renting.

Maybe its always been crap, but my parents tell me very much otherwise. The reality is renting was never the norm here (Past the slum clearances of the 30s and 40s)

So what should someone whose single do? Quit my job and move to Longford - not going to work since I wont be able to get a job that would pay in my field out there. The jobs are in the urban areas for young professionals. Do I emigrate to a country with a long term rental market and no social stigma to renting? Do I give up on life completely? Do I spend 10 years without going outside to afford a deposit for Tallaght? Working class people need somewhere to live where they can also have a job. Renting is not possible long term in this country, at least not to have any resemblance of normality and security and you are clearly stating why landlords wont or cant allow that to change.

You defend your position as a landlord, fine, but you never say what can be done for tenants who are a much much bigger group in society. You can say its not your job to provide housing, fine but eventually forcing so many people into rentals is going to result in a change more reactive populist policies. David McWilliams said on his podcast rightfully last week, that until housing is resolved we wont have social peace in Ireland and it is going to eventually have serious economic repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If your rent is half your salary at 1,500 - that means your net is 3,000 a month.

Why do you need to work extra hours when you've 1,500 left a month after rent? You must have some very expensive outgoings, car loan or debt or something?

Im trying to save for a mortgage. And with the tax I pay on the two jobs and the balance of tax credits it works out around 3300 ish a month in total. Bills come to 350 but are higher with heating in the winter. Im saving 750 a month. But to buy a home your looking at 5+ years. Its mental the age to buy is not your late 30s. To reach 30 and be renting is so embarrassing. To buy somewhere which is an acceptable commute like Tallaght or Citywest I'll need the guts of 50k in savings as banks don't take additional casual work into account and only measure a percentage of bonuses.

Look if people here think renting in your 30s is the norm and people buy in their 40s etc then we have totally different expectations. I grew up with the norm being housed properly in your late 20s. My folks had their mortgage paid off by 45.

The biggest issue is the stigma around renting which is destroying my self worth and mental health and makes me feel like a total loser. If I was an equal and regarded as such Id not care

It's not delusional. The fact is I know of one bed apartments out around Clonee and Blanchardstown and other areas that have asking prices of around the 180k mark which is within your price range providing you have a decent deposit. Are they the most trendy areas of Dublin no, but instead of ranting you actually go on line you will see what you can actually afford provided a person is prepared to make compromises. Unless you have millions in the bank you are going to have to make some sort of compromise when buying.

Your problem is that you are paying 1,500 a month which is way way more than a mortgage would cost you. This stops you from saving the deposit required. I understand living with parents or random house mates is less than ideal but it means far far cheaper rent which enables you to buy in a few years. But that's the same for most people buying. They rent as cheaply as possible to save money and then buy.

But all the above is off topic. The only way rents will go down is more houses full stop and more landlords. To do that is a lot more complex and needs a proper discussion.

Honestly you sound like a person who needs professional help if your self worth is being harmed that much. Ranting on internet forums isn't going to help you. Go seek professional help and independent financial advice as they will help you get where you want to go.

That's nice, really. Good for you.

But the table you supplied is very interesting. What I see from the table is that the market is being divided into have and have nots with the social security net being eroded. Number of owner-occupiers decreased to 1970s level, but the social housing is cut in half from the 1970s level. Private renting level have risen almost to bad old post-Emergency days. I think that is a problem that needs to be tackled on a state level, or we can blame workers who can't save 100K for a deposit.

Then you should say the correct thing and not be ignorant about what you are saying. Dublin city is within the canals you not knowing that just proves my point you are ill informed.

I posted a table that shows renting has always been part of the market and we had higher rental rates before. Anyone you know who bought a council house had to have rented it for 10 years nut I guess you could mean "rent" to only mean private rent.

You again are showing ignorance, slum clearance of the 30s/40s was going on in the 60s several decades longer than you are aware of.

Are you going to admit that your claims of single people being given council houses is not true?

Why do you keep asking me what you or government meant to do? I have told you it is not my responsibility. Why do you think I am responsible or should be?

David McWilliams is not some prophet but know to be a plagiarizer. Populist policies got us here. The ERSI warned there would be a housing shortage and when the government went to act on that advice the populists shouted it down saying it was to help out their builder and banker friends. The government decided not to do as advised and we got the housing shortage that was warned. The government have been warned about the long term effects of RPZ and we have landlords leaving the market and less rentals available. When the government added tax and charges on landlords while rents were dropping they government were warned it would cause rents to go up dramatically in the future they went with populist opinion instead. That is what populist pandering does as opposed to planning.

The solution is clear we need more housing and or better use of existing housing stock. Huge parts of Dublin are vastly under populated for the housing stock in the areas. Most houses on my road have 1-2 residents yet 3-5 bed houses.

You have misdirected anger and landlords are not responsible for the problems you have. They have not forced anybody to rent lack of housing has and you need to get that into your head. Very simple very few landlords are buying property now when more property is being built so they aren't the issue. REITs are more your enemy but you bizarrely like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Not when the coucil rents the property it isnt!

They use tax payers money to rent a building from a developer and then put all the HAP tenants into it.

So not only does the tax payer not own the property they are paying for (by virtue of the council renting, not buying) but they see their own private rents increase as new stock is rented by the council for social housing, thus removing suplly from the private market!

There couldnt be a worse use of public money.

Its lazy, short sighted politics by the councils and govt and is only possible because we have a budget surplus currently and money to throw at the problem as a sticking plaster.

The chickens will come home to roost when the developers take their property back and the govt still hasnt built or bought any social homes of its own...thousands more homeless on the streets at that point.

Its a terrible, short sighted strategy.

• Advertisement

"Good for me" but no apology for your snide remarks about me.

Weird take on the table but it does prove "normal" is very relative. The emergency ended in the 70s so I am not sure how you are correlating that

Advertisement