Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental cost-where will it stop?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

Ive looked on daft at places under 175k, because realistically they will sell around 200k.

Mortgage your looking at say 700 a month.

Bills lets say 400, ok all fine here. Now heres the kicker.

Id need a car to commute, car loan and insurance as a new driver. Looked at both, modest car, 2018 Seat Ibiza + insurance. 500 a month. Toll charges from Meath 9 euro a day, or elsewhere 5 to use the m50. Estimated charge of petrol 450 a month. So thats over 1000 euro a month to commute. Suddenly, I cant survive. Looking at public transport, its over 2hrs door to door, each way. So leaving the house before 7 to get home at 7.30.

How is any of that feesable? Any other ideas here. Im willing to live outside Dublin to own, but it needs to be actually possible. And all the above requires at least 5+ years of saving to get the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is delusional when referring to Dublin City Centre which was what he was saying but has since said he is talking about Dublin postal codes. It doesn't sound like they have 18k for a deposit but if you are talking one bed place that is 36k they needs.

I know people on a lot more money and they aren't renting a single place but sharing so there is an element of not being wise with the money especially when it requires working 20 hours at the weekend on top of their job to be able to afford it. Sounds misreable

The emergency ended in 1945. It was the Irish term for WW2. The economic war was the period before that. That ended in 1938.

The reason they do that is because maintenance cost on council owned property spiraled up and a huge liability for the councils. It actually works out cheaper from an accountant point of view. That is one of the reasons they sold off council housing along with the belief it would bring families out of long term generational poverty. That didn't work because many thought it would be always be available so they could get a council house like Billy there who is annoyed he isn't being subsidised like family members in the past. It appears he has not been told the truth either

1976 is when it ended. Did you really get an education here?

• Advertisement

The emergency was the Irish term for the Second World War. I have no idea what you mean by 1976.

Unless you think the Emergency Powers Act, which was repealed due to laws relating to the Northern Troubles, is the same thing as rationing of fuel and food during the second world war.

@Ray Palmer can you address this reality? You say people need to commute into cities if they don't earn large salaries. How is this feasible to do?

You are raging now and couldn’t even bother looking a basic fact. We are done.

Your problems are not mine nor my responsibility. Go get help for your self loathing and tell your family not to insult you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

victor8600 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The councils still have to pay the maintenance costs on the swanky new private blocks they are renting.

They pay for everything (with our money) but own nothing (with our investment)

A shambles.

• Advertisement

You know you can look up the accounts for all of this. Sounds like you have a solid grasp of accounting so I am sure you can flip through it and show exactly how to do it.

Me I know I couldn't do it having worked with cost forecasting, actuaries and accountants and found it all very confusing. Made me realise I stopped using maths fully for a long time. It does come to a point where I will trust experts and let them tell me what they believe and I believe them. If they work it out and say it is more expensive to build and own than rent I believe them. Now there are indicators they are correct if you look. Look at all the flats owned by the Dublin City Council and you find they need a lot of repair work and they haven't done. They know it needs to be done but it is massively expensive and they can't afford it. Now if they sold the buildings and built housing further out they could have much more housing of better quality.

Perhaps the councils could sell some homes and build more homes further out from the centre of the city, that makes sense financially.

But the fundamental is that the council must own social housing properties.

Firstly, so that tax payers money is being used wisely and provides state owned accomodation for those that need it.

Secondly, state ownership of social housing segregates the social market from the private market.

Currently, the govt are outbidding and inflating rent prices for the private renter, simply because the councils have no housing stock of their own, but plenty of other peoples cash to splash on rent payments to large scale property owners.

Let the council finance and own social housing, so the private markets can find their own level. Prices will come down if we do this.

Councils also need to be accountable for the spend they instruct, but that is another story.

OK we know how you feel but the problem is you don’t know how to fund it. We have a long history of the councils not able to maintain and afford social housing. You aren’t providing a solution for these problems just saying they can do it. They haven’t been able to do it so why without changing anything can they do it now. They can however pay for it to be done which is what they do now.

you are worried about ghettos being formed with social housing yet the public complain about mixed developments and also the provision of private housing on council land. Look up Housing near the Phoenix park . You aren’t suggesting anything new or that hasn’t been tried. They aren’t popular ideas with the population.

The councils should fund mixed developments.

They dont have to build the homes themselves, but they should fund and own the developments, upon completion.

Lets say a mixed development of 100 apartments is 33% social, 33% cost rental and 33% affordable to buy.

That composition stops ghettos forming because the development isnt just social housing for no and low earners.

Its a genuine mixed development, representative of all of the community, not just low income folks.

Councils are there to provide services for all of their constituents, not just the low earners.

Which development at Phoenix Park dk you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

Council housing is a massive financial black hole. That’s why right to buy was a thing and same happened in other European cities (Berlin sold of 10’s of thousands).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Trying to push that black hole on to private landlords hasn't worked. Why would it. Who do you think will carry the cost of social housing?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And pretty much everywhere that's done it has seen a significant reduction in public housing availability with no reduction in demand for it.

Its been realised for about a century and a half that a sizeable minority of the population are going to need state supported housing. Rental supports are a far bigger black hole than public housing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

social housing costs far more than HAP which is largely 50% recouped via taxes. Renting blocks from funds is probably similar given the insane inefficiency of councils.

but both are far morenflexible in terms of funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

50% isn't recouping anything.

We have no idea of the scale of arrears and costs incurred by private landlords who get involved in this.

Never mind the local authorities

https://www.newstalk.com/news/local-authorities-need-to-get-better-at-collecting-rent-1377415

Advertisement