Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reddit - it's not great is it

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Yes we can agree to disagree and I'm certainly not here to start an argument, but imo there is no doubt that some discussions were/are not modded impartially. Which is a whole topic by itself and yes I'm sure posters were not faultless either.

With regards to 'your ma' - which was of course childish and foolish and personally I never really participated - it embodied some sort of lighthearted fecklessness that had its own charm and to some degree defined boards IMO. There were real characters around here. IIRC that was actively done away with by owners/mods/whatever and with it the tone of the whole place was changed. And it wasnt even like as if all of boards was like that and you couldn't have a proper discussion. But someone had decided it tainted the place or something. Ah well, long gone now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Reddit Ireland has a lefty vibe. But that has been changing rapidly if you follow the immigration related threads there.

They do their best like some posters here to castigate anybody with non lefty opinions as some kind of extremist far right ..but even there folks copped on to that.

Reddit has a huge diversity of posters it just happens to be Reddit Ireland is lefty..but look on Facebook for opinions of Irish people from the working class (not yer typical reddit poster)....hint it's not as lefty as they try to make out on Reddit at all

Boards posters are 90 per cent plus Irish but reddit is full of Yanks and others jumping on to that forum...many of whom have a hazy idea about Ireland and may have arrived two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Most people who post comments on news articles on Facebook seem like complete morons to me, who can barely spell their own names.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think most people care about that sort of thing. Comparing oneself to someone living in a police state because a moderator handed you a virtual yellow card is pretty toxic IMO.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Well thats not what I was doing, I dont really care about virtual yellow cards. My gripe was about partial moderation. So you misunderstood or went out of your way to misunderstand. Especially since the main point of the OP I was referring to was the loss of lightheartedness. Which you ignored completely just so you can construct your case for some 'toxicity' (is that a word you learned in 'progressive' school?). Since you're also a mod yourself maybe I struck a point. Nice one and I'll rest my case, you've just proven it.

Anyway, I AM actually not here to start an argument so I'll leave it here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If you need to misrepresent my posts to make your point, I think we're done here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

That may be true but are they the real representatives of Ireland ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Reddit is a woke cesspool- still it's a little better than Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Oh, you can find some pretty heavy stuff. Usually you have to look for it, but sometimes it gets crossposted to the sub you're on. The mods have limits, but on some subs you have to work really hard to offend them.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

I stay on the medical threads for the time being, enough engaging in the odd argument here, just not able got much real debate 😁 I engage in the stoma/MS threads and try to advocate as helpfully as I can so for that reason alone I’ve lots of upvotes on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭jj880

Personally dont use reddit for debate.

For tech problems it's great.

Also great for earning referral credit e.g. VR referral links.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It's going to become a public company soon, should be fun considering not having been profitable in 20 years.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/01/reddit-seeking-a-valuation-of-up-to-6point5-billion-in-ipo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

just being a boards poster there is pretty much every avenue for a discussion for whatever topic right here, had a look at Reddit but happy to post here while I can. It didn’t really grab me Reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Like Twitter, Reddit is an absolutely terrible platform for an actual discussion, where ideas are batted back and forth. With Reddit, it seems to be more of a shoutbox where the consensus wins out because of the upvoting and downvoting. Nothing like that is good for a discussion. Even with all the problems Boards has, it's still miles better for discussing a topic.

Where Reddit is good is if a question is posed, like a technical question, and the answers that follow are helpful and are at the top because they've been upvoted. I don't have an account there and never will. But if I need an answer to something about a game, or something PC related, it can be a decent site to hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Never got the UI on Reddit, never tried beyond a glimpse though, to be fair.

I think Boards has definitely changed as was described above. It's not Vanilla or whatever else that's "killed" it (I know, I know, it's been dying since it was born), it's the lack of humour (for the most part). It used to be a bit of craic, lighthearted, you could take the piss out of people in a good-natured way without causing offence, you could have a decent discussion and agree to disagree without getting piled on. People, on AH in particular, were out for a laugh.

Not to say there is no humour here these days, of course there is, but there is also a portion of the user base who seem to sit on here all day, waiting for any chance to be a prick. That usually stops any fun or discussion that would have been had. They should take a leaf from my book and only pop in on occasion to be a prick.

Advertisement