Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reddit - it's not great is it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seems a bit strange that reddit has one forum r/ireland for what Boards must have a hundred forums, for motors, cycling, transport, accommodation, photography and many many more. It must be hard to get into any serious detailed discussion there when everything is all mixed into the same pot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah for sure that's most of them but still, compared to other subs..I just had a look and Europe has 5.6m subs with 10k online right now while Ireland has 3.5k online at the moment. Those are huge numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

They probably saved a bunch of suckers a lot of money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That's the thing though, if you want to talk about motors in general, you can go to the specific subreddit for it, and there's probably a few hundred or thousand other interested international people you can discuss them with.

The downside of course is you've got a few hundred other international people to deal with.. which will include a few knowledgeable experts and 90% of the rest might be american teens. If you find that better or worse than the Boards experience is a matter of taste in the end.

But it's more or less grand if you want to talk **** about a specific car or whatever, not so good if you want to talk about changes to irish road tax. Then you'll need to post it in the Irish subreddit which is the equivalent of posting it in after hours, maybe you get a decent few answers, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

That put me off it too. Go into the motors part and ask advice on 'what first car?' and get opinions from people from California or the Philipines. What would be the point? Post it in the Ireland forum and you might get no response as no one is interesting in it there.

At least here, in its heyday, it was mostly irish based people and in Motors it was big car heads and people in the trade. You had a good chance at some good advice. Well, as good as internet advice ever is!

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

But is it not that reddit has all these? Only they're are not Ireland specific but more global (or probably more US).

I always viewed reddit as a predominantly US site - with some global angles.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

It can be good for a bit of news on niche topics or hobbies or games you have an interest in. There are some fun ones to while away 10s of minutes if you want. Maybe I'm just getting old and less tolerant of some of the types of posts people mentioned about the same few "Should I do this or that" flooding some of the forums or maybe they are getting more prevalent than I remember from a few years ago.

Either way, you can subscribe to whatever subs that interest you and easily ignore the rest.

Personally I browse the music, photography and beer forums with some news and r/publicfreakouts thrown in to mix it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The group think in the Motors forum was gas. First they all had diesel Golfs, then BMW saloons, then they all moved to EV's all in unison over about 15 years.

They all had their 2c to chip in about lane hoggers and fog lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Oh yes! There certainly were cliques and some opinions were not tolerated!

The EV forum is pretty busy but the rest is quiet now. That being said there is currently a pile on of poster who had the misfortune to be ticketed for no tax on the day they bought a new car. A lot of sympathy going as you can imagine…

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

The state benefits forum is great when a spicy thread pops up, reading the back and forth comments can be fun, you won't get that on reddit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭yagan

The problem with boards is you'll have discussions repeatedly spammed by posters who don't absorb new information and keep pushing an agenda, like on the Ryan Tubridy threads currently.

Sometimes boards feels like a lounge bar where you can meet good people with relevant information but all the time there'll be the same few barflies shouting over everyone elses conversations. Reddit is much more like a cafe where you can drop in and walk away if some langer wants to start mouthing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

even theyre not great any more, mainly just people trying to get you to subscribe to their various other platforms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

the soccer forum is very sensitive to new participants, had to delete my old account as i kept getting spam emails/messages, when i set up a new account - after making a innocious comment, it immediatly suspended my account

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That is just genius.

Probably tastes shyte, but have to admire the effort.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The upvote system also works the other way, often the most intelligent post gets pushed to the top which is great of your just looking to browse a thread

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've made the UI even worse than here with changes today.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Except it's not.

Read the relationship threads as an example.

Or the car threads.

And retract that statement as it's simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

In fairness, Monk is correct in observing that this site is now mostly used by men who are 40 plus and who all have very similar boring opinions - young people are useless, modern music is useless, public service broadcasting should be done away with as it doesn’t make content exclusively to the whims of middle-aged white men, climate change is a scam, Ireland is going to hell in a handbasket, women are getting too uppity, Putin has a point etc etc etc.

It’s interesting to see this as most sites haven’t had the longevity to be able to view this happening. The light-hearted nature of it has disappeared and it’s now a site known for grumpiness, extremely obvious opinions, and just a general air of low testosterone.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Deregos.

D'ya know when one of the kids half-heartedly does the washing up after breakfast, and then you have to go in and clean out the sink and unblock the plughole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

jesus thats horrible, all that crap on the right and all that wasted space on the left. you cannot keep your favorites colapsed and cannot remove recently viewed reddits. most of the ones your subed to are never searched out so why have them there taking up so much room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well in current affairs and after hours threads yes it's all pretty much what Bonsun said in the next post after you. The everything I don't like is woke brigade are most prominent demographic on here by far from what I can gather.

I suppose thats how life works, people get older. What do you expect them (us/me) to do? Should we just fvck off after 40 since we should clearly understand we're past boards now? ;) Also not surprised the younger generation seems in the minority. They're probably more likely to use other stuff like instagram or TikTok - or whatever it is they're using. (imagine Steve Buscemi pic inserted here)

Agree that boards was more fun when After Hours was all about 'your mother'. But I dont think a demographic shift did away with that. It was boards that did away with that, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i don't expect anything from anyone i'm just pointing out that the main demographic left posting here seems to be the anti woke brigade whereas reddit for e.g. has a much younger more progressive leaning main audience, it doesn't stop me from visiting here though, still a worthy website

It was more of a rhetorical question. Just pointing out that people get older, grow up, change...and whats coming after may have different interests. Natural flow of things.

But despite that I think it was boards themselves who killed the lightheartedness. Ur ma no longer acceptable, Stasi mods etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Odd to say that Boards killed the lightheartedness while comparing the place to an actual secret police.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Well I can spell it out for you. 'Ur ma' and the general atmosphere embodied by such was actively killed off. And certain topics were and still are policed rather than moderated. As in party line only please or thread ban. Dont really see the contradiction between the two.

Not saying all mods are/were like that but they did/do exist imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think it's more likely that people calling mods Stalinists or the Stasi did much more to kill the atmosphere. We can agree to disagree.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement