Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reddit - it's not great is it

Options
  • 20-01-2024 1:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've had an account there for a decade now and I used to enjoy spending half an hour there every few days looking at memes, DIY projects, history etc.

But I never really used it that much until the last few years when Boards started to drop off.. and the more I use it now the more I dislike it.

Considering all the crap Boards gets over it's moderation, Reddit is a coin toss depending on the subreddit and you can get permabanned from some of the biggest subs (world news for one) for not having the sub bias. Sure you can go setup your own subreddit for it but it'll never be more than a ghosttown 90% of the time. You know how people get pissed here when their thread gets merged with a long running thread on the same topic? Well on Reddit instead you get the exact same topics coming up every single day, with the exact same replies. Subreddits can just disappear permanently if the head mod gets pissed or fecks off.

There's no real discussion, the downvoting system means any dissenting opinion is buried, and what's dissenting can often depend on who is brigading that post at that moment. It's just a load of thanks whoring for the most part.

Too many Americans. And that used to be a good thing, when I first joined up I really appreciated the American can-do attitude and positive outlook compared to the negativity of Irish posters, but my god the American spirit has degraded badly the last decade.

It's funny cause a few years ago I probably would have supported Reddit on threads here. I know there's a few other posters from here there too, what do ye think?

Comments

Advertisement