Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me why I don’t buy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Planning permission on the county council website.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭JVince

People need to understand management fees and there has to be an easier way to get the money from those who delay paying.

They are not a "joke". If you had a house you'd be paying similar type of money.

Bin Charges, (av €300 a year) Insurance premium (excluding contents) (av €450/year), maintenance of common areas including decoration of hallways, garden maintenance etc, and then a "sinking fund" for larger expenditure from time to time. EG road/pavement repairs.

A well run apartment scheme with a professional management set-up can be very attractive. Hence the absolute importance of seeing the management accounts and the level of non payment and the amount in the sinking fund

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭dr.dundrum

Would you mind sharing why so you need to find builders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

well its good to know who build the apartments in case you are going second hand purchase and there are some issues which builder has promised to fix ! Also gives a sense of quality(not a main parameter).

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭well24

I do NOT agree at all... definitely do not pay the same amount of money, in any case I would trust myself better to spend my money than a 3rd party. you have only come up with abt 750 there, mgmt fees are 2k - 4k a year!

BTW I dont pay 300 a yr on bin charges, pay about half that (158 to be exact, fixed charge for all waste). Again insurance, my renewal quote was 450, but got that down to abt 350 by ringing around! I did not spend anywhere near 2000 on actual 'repairs' to my house last year, now improvements thats a different story, but they are not covered by mgmt fees :)

This 'magical' sinking fun lol heard so many stories about ppl being charged thousands to get the 'larger' things fixed !!

The only thing I would agree on is IF (couldnt increase that size of that, because its a big IF) they were managed correctly, they might be good, but unfortunately in the real world as it is not there money they are spending they dont care..

• Advertisement

That you don't have a proper understanding of managing an apartment block, is your own issue.

There are certainly improvements that can be made especially on errant payers which are very costly to chase, but well run management company is beneficial to all owners.

You may have been involved with a poorly run one (and there are many), but don't tar them all with your singular experience.

I've 2 pension properties in two different schemes. Both have very strong management (I checked before i bought), both have sinking funds well in excess of 100k and annual fees are €1650 & €1850 respectively. The huge advantage is the OMC directors are professional in their approach whereas in some schemes you get petty people who see it as their fiefdom and that causes major problems.

Good for you... but see below, as I said I would never buy an apt, so its not my personal experience but other ppl's misery (plural)..

again I would not have spent any where near 1650 on my house last year on repairs or other such costs.. I definitely did not have to worry about / or pay anything towards "There are certainly improvements that can be made especially on errant payers which are very costly to chase," lol I assume a large portion of your 1650 - 1850 is spent on that - good for you :)

As you quoted 300 for waste and 450 on ins, is that what you pay - maybe look into this as your mgmt company are not as efficient as you think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yeah so you pay shag all on mgt fees. Come back to me when that’s 4 and 5K. Clueless.

I wouldnt say 1650 - 1850 is shag all - especially for what your getting. And this increases all the time, plus the large payouts that are requested for repairs etc, its a complete joke. Again a large portion of the fee is to pay the mgmt company as well for the 'service', I would prefer to do myself, definitely trust myself more

But yeah he is pretty clueless alright, probably gullible is more appropriate :)

Post edited by well24 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I wouldn’t rule out the entire township or whatever it’s called, of Finglas.

Yes I’m aware of past history of the place but a few things to consider:

1. population of Dublin is going to continue to rise - location location location
    2. 2nd and 3rd generations of Finglas people are now firmly there- so it’s a world away from what it was albeit it will never be Foxrock obviously
    3. Many of the houses (council) built were built to last - they would also have some gardens and outside parking

If purchased at the right price, even a doer upper would likely save you money compared to this apartment along with - no yearly fees or concerns for demands for payment for big repairs etc

The OP currently has no kids- even if a couple came along a house is usually much better for parents than an apartment - unless there’s a total property crash like we saw in 2008 I don’t see prices of houses in Finglas going down - it’s too close to the city so it will always be in demand.

Given the current housing market, it’s only a matter of time before Finglas becomes a desirable location - any community who’s population is slowly gentrifying will only see houses prices in that area going one way- and that’s up.

If I were limited by the income threashold the OP has and was looking around the north side I’d pick Finglas any day over this place

• Advertisement

Another who has little understanding that there are many variables.

The average is €1500 - €2500 on low rise apartment blocks which many are. One of mine are in 3 story blocks with no lift and the other is in a 2 story block.

It increases if more services are supplied eg lifts, concierge, large grounds etc.

For the two omc's mine are in they have near 100% payment and a decent sinking fund. But frankly it makes no difference to me whether its €1850 or €3850 once I know the money is properly accounted for.

The reply is in relation to a previous post - maybe read replies in the context they were written. Its not difficult

man oh man you really like throwing money away :) Makes no difference to you "whether its €1850 or €3850" WOW! I think you will piss alot of ppl off with that statement :)

See you have no response to my points?

Can you show us a typical breakdown of what your management fees were spent on last year i.e. how much you paid and breakdown etc So we can see for ourselves if it is being spent wisely?

Good debate... i know people who have bought houses paying 800 management fees ! Depends on what is the setup. You cannot assume if you buy a house you wont have management fees :) !

Well of course but you can make a decision not to buy a property with mgmt fees, I never would..

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

Debate to be had over management fees maybe etc. But anyone saying location, might be D11 but it is nowhere near finglas in reality.

You're about a 12min walk to the Botanic Gardens, Met Eireann office down the roads and several restaurants/pubs around there.

Cremore/glasnevin would be much more a mature and quiet residential area with bus routes, and commuteable to the City centre.

It's not as if it's some new build in Finglas west. And look, there's good parts of Finglas too. But it isn't that end at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You can very much assume the house you are buying has no management fees as it will be stated in the property listing, any searching you do about the development and the contracts you sign when you buy the property.

Literally every step of the way.

dont see any fees mentioned in any of the apartments on daft ? yes once u view/query they will tell you ! New builds including houses have management fees afaik !

As the OP, I find the debate around mngmt fees useful. However, I like to hear more about which areas in Finglas or Glasnevin is good, better, average etc. I know there are other threads discussing this but still some insight from people living/lived over there would be great. Thanks everyone in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Finglas is mostly a shít hole. Plenty of lovely people live there, but a higher than average percentage of scumbags make it a very undesirable place to buy a home. Luckily, the apartments you are looking at are not Finglas. However, they are expensive. Would you consider the one posted in this thread in Smithfield? Looks lovely and whoever works at the airport would be driving in the opposite direction of traffic to get to work. Personally I wouldn't buy an apartment because of fees, restrictions and in most cases, no way to charge an EV.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I have a friend who was in a 2 bed own door apartment in a development of about 150 mixed (Block apartments, 3 beds, 1 beds, some with own doors, some in block with hallways).

He was paying €2500 as was every other apartment. He didnt get the use of the fire alarms, corridor cleaning, lifts, corridor heating, lighting etc etc so he felt his portion of the fees was far too high for the services he was getting compared to other types of apartments.

He got himself voted on to the MC and discovered that the others on MC were paying the same fee for much more use of the services. He raised this and looked into a fair way to delegate fees based on the use a property was getting from them. After a bit of pushback he eventually pushed through an amendment that everyone was happy with. His fees dropped to €1500. The 1 bed own door apartments dropped to €800. The ones that required the lifts and corridor maintenance inside the blocks were weighted according to size for those services they used too.

It was a much fairer way to operate the charging structure. So get yourself onto the committee and look out for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

People on here calling that area a kip? Dear lord, I would love to see where they live, must be Beverly Hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Boards has always had a healthy crop of contrarian shut-ins who think anything north of the Liffey or west of Rathmines is Mad Max territory. Wonder if many of them even live in the city. Anyway, they can be safely placed in the "pay no mind" column

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Cristianc

To be honest, if you've just come to Dublin as a foreigner you discover right away the differences. Multiple people have told me North and West feel like a different city than South... quality of the houses, quality of the roads, amount of litter, the way people look and how they speak. Plus news about violence and antisocial behavior that seems to happen mostly in the North and West. If you're a Dub, probably it's not standing out as much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In what world is that Finglas? It's next door to the Holy Faith Glasnevin. Friends of mine lived in that development and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭herbalplants

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Look for pyjama wearing in the area. In posh areas they wear pyjamas in bed. In bad areas they wear pyjamas in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A 5 bedroom house for under 300k should tell you all you need to know. Look how close you are to the Dublin airport runways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Convenient to the airport.

That first ad is gone and second is sale agreed. The only thing going for smithfield is proximity to the city centre.

Agree with others that a house might be a better bet. Whats your price range OP, is it between €300 and €375?

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Post edited by mrslancaster on

Advertisement