Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why have we never seen another SSIA scheme?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

In the 30s to the 80s we hired unskilled labourers on sites. And Ballymun towers can be machine made by factories and assembled on site by unskilled labour.

We could also do what the Asian countries do and bring in short term migrants to build

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AveryBritishCoup

Naive Billy ! Crumlin / Cabral etc built while we had ample labour & tradesmen , Even the Shinners 17% stamp duty will do fuckall to stop the wholesale absorption of all new stock into some pension fund , if they were real , it should be 100 % stamp duty , 17 % means they just have to wait another year to get their money back !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

a: a 30s to 80s house doesn't meet any modern standards at all. You need trained, qualified people to build modern houses and also build them safely - worker deaths aren't acceptable anymore.

b: there are no unskilled labourers available either. We are at what is termed Full Employment

c: sure, go raise that idea with the fascists protesting outside hotels around the country, see how well the idea goes down...

d: the construction methods used to build towerblocks here in the 1960s were known to unsafe by the 1960s. They aren't used anymore, anywhere. (we actually had a similar gas explosion and partial collapse of a similar age block here, just it was a lot later and a lot smaller - Ballsbridge in about 1986)

There aren't builders easily available for us to bring in, we've already emptied the well there.

Again, there are no easy/quick answers here or else we'd be doing it already

Ok, so what you are saying is I will likely never own a home, the country will never return to normality and my generation, or at least a great chunk will suffer for life without a real home or a real adult existence. What could possibly be worse

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What you consider "normality" was a crazed boom. That wasn't normal and hopefully never will happen again.

There are measures being taken to improve the housing stock and hopefully bring down prices. But they won't be fast, because there are no easy fixes here and you aren't going to be the one to come up with one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Billy, I honestly think you should start a thread and put a poll on it asking if people look down on renters in Ireland. You'll be shocked to learn that people don't share the views of your sister. I think it will be therapeutic for you to find that you are seen as a valued member of society even if you don't own a property.

I rented for a while and I guess so did many other mortgage holders and house owners here did too.

I do hope you get to own one someday though since it's so important to you. Go meet a girl/boy whatever you're into and they will speed things up a lot for you too.

But people are rightly getting tired of your rants now.

What I consider normal is home ownership.

What I consider abnormal is renting or living at home, culturally alien to us as a nation which is why people are stigmatised so much for it.

I'll likely emigrate now as your pretty much saying voting out FFG (my only bit of hope left) wont get me a real home. I mean yes Id emigrate abroad, but thats normal for immigrants, when people come home at xmas from England or Canada the term dead money is never used

Nobody is stigmatised for it. However many threads and however many accounts you've started/had here and you still can't understand that that is a you issue - its just you that thinks that.

Where do you expect to be able to emigrate to and buy? You'll be renting in the UK or Canada. Probably at vastly higher prices than here in most of the places Irish people prefer to emigrate to.

If there's a specific person in your life that's making denigrating comments they're going to keep doing it - you need to cut them out and get help to get over your issues.

would the mod here give me permission to start a poll asking if it is socially acceptable to rent? Or if people regard renters as dead money?

I dont expect to buy abroad. Id be running away from the expectation of owning. I know lots of people abroad (most I went to college with left over housing for example) and no one calls them renting dead money. Its acceptable to rent abroad but its not acceptable in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 AveryBritishCoup

Of course we all would , I'd have loved to seen them jailed , Messrs Fingleton etc , America jailed those at the centre of the S&L , but the real villans like Goldman profited , Mario Draghi who was head of Goldmans International bond desk , pumped billions into a Greek economy who'd no business being part of the euro but the same @un% became head of the ECB , my point is , big business will always crush little men like me into the rug ! And FG aren't much better !

Based on all your other threads over all the years, you'd be running away from one person who is likely to not stop.

You can cut that person off in Ireland.

Because renting is not stigmatised here, no matter how often you repeat it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP you have posted numerous threads in different forums with the same underlying point

No need for another

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement