Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why have we never seen another SSIA scheme?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

But is someone not better off having mortgage arrears and being a home owner (ie no housing crisis) instead of having to rent? You dont have to grasp what renting in Ireland is like and how renters are seen by the home owning majority.

Anyway I just find it hard to understand why the government does none of the things that made FF so popular with ordinary people in the celtic tiger, outside of the fact they want to maintain artificially high house prices to keep their voters happy even if the sacristy they create locks a generation out of adult life and collapses the birth rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AveryBritishCoup

You answered your own question , the country is no longer awash with money , interest rates are above German reunification highs & Charlie McCreevy died a long time ago at the feet of the most reprehensible toe-rag who passed himself off as Taoisech , isn't that right Bertie !

What do you mean? The government is totally rolling in dough at the moment from their corporate tax receipts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Someone in severe mortgage arrears in many cases has no actual ownership in the home; and by holding it and keeping it off the market is increasing the cost of houses for you. And they're probably going to be booted out eventually, so they have no security in their difficult position either.

Your "people look down on renters" thing is just you - its in your mind. Its not real. You need to look at getting therapy for this rather than posting countless threads on here about it.

The current Government realise that those things that made FF popular were exceptionally stupid and damaging, and caused much of the current problems. That's why they're not doing them. Thank feck.

Corporate tax receipts are well down on last year ! So do a little research before spouting unsubstantiated tripe !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

You have been told multiple times with examples with this account and your previous account that you are wrong about what you posted here again.

Ok, so Ive never heard of anyone ever losing a house after buying one, never. Almost everyone I know who has rented has had some kind of no fault eviction and many had to move home due to job losses in covid etc (while the mortgages all got frozen). So you absolutely have security in not paying a mortgage. And when a mortgage holder does default doesn't the state buy the place and make them council tenants? That totally happen during the crash.

And do you really think renters are viewed as mature and decent like home owners are? Because if thats actually the case and you can prove it (instead of the common view that renters are dead money), I would not have a housing crisis and be able to feel happy as I quite like my rental (apart from the stigma of not owning it)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mortgage to rent came in after the crash and has happened less than 1700 times to date.

You need to talk a therapist about your feelings, not a random forum poster. They are your feelings, not a widespread thing, and you can work through them with someone qualified.

That's another thing , Social Housing should have remained Social Housing , the thatcherite model of allowing the purchase of Social housing removed a massive swaith of stock and now the people who rely on those homes have zero chance against a foreign REIT ! , ITS the taxpayers who've become the suckers , financing outrageous HAP payments that line the pockets of these REIT's

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A lot of stats for the corporate tax receipts for the first 15 days of the year floating around?

• Advertisement

Well podge ! As they say , lies , dame lies & statistics ! I am right about our lackey FG Tory party , and FF weren't much better !

So will the good times ever return or is renting now going to be long term for people?

Tragically you're right Billy, my kids will have little more than a pipe dream of home ownership , or it will the Japanese model where a house is bought over a generation , makes me furious , its disgusting ,FG Neil Richmond needs to get his priorities right !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Tax take was higher in 23 than ever before,are you on about 24 ?

Yes Einstein , overall tax take was higher , you paid more for you're Dutch gold & Amber leaf , HOWEVER , Corporate tax receipts were down ! Last de da de dah , as Carly Simon sang ♥️

If you didn't spend it on games, computers, etc, you'd spend it on something else.

I always think of the stupid stuff I bought over the years and think "If only I hadn't 'wasted' that money...I could have x, y or z" but that's not how it works.

It's like fag smokers "I've spent tens of thousands in my life on cigarettes and if I didn't I'd have a, b or c."

But that's not how things work, people have interests/needs and if you remove one interest/need you'll replace it with another.

but the government still has massive amounts of money in can spend but isnt. Pascal is literally storing a rainy day fund

If an SSIA scheme wont work, can someone tell me why my generation are the first in the history of post independence Ireland to have landlords and face renting long term? I get in the past people may have rented for 4 years in college or 2 years after arriving in a new city or while waiting for their house to be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Corporation tax was also up,no need for the digs and stop stating lies as facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

The SSIAs were a bonkers idea the first time around. Now, it would make much more sense to spend public money on transport infrastructure like the DART Underground, nationwide railway electrification, Luases in Irelands smaller cities, public authority housing etc.

They literally were not

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/cb77b-exchequer-surplus-of-12-billion-in-2023-tax-revenue-in-line-with-expectations-ministers-mcgrath-donohoe/

Corporation tax receipts of €23.8 billion were €1.2 billion (5.3 per cent) up on 2022, more modest growth than in recent years;

• Advertisement

Dozens of people have told you at this point, you just have no interest in listening.

But you have not answered.

Why are my generation the first in a century to have to private rent long term (or in many cases live at home in multi-generational households). Just explain it because I dont get it

Billy , whose gonna profit most from an SSIA ? If me & you have say 25% from just the fixed portion of the ssia as it was back in mccreevys day , then those parasites of developers who look at you and you're kids as nothing more than objects to be ripped off !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

The lack of SSIAs did not cause that problem. The money pissed away on SSIA incentives could be used to build social housing, transport infrastructure and other things that would actually help alleviate the accommodation mess.

Because there isn't enough housing. It is a supply side issue not a demand side issue and constantly juicing up the demand is not helping anything.

Your idea that juicing up the supply side slightly will somehow result in a construction boom is fantasy.

Eh ,let's deal with the present , which is all that matters podge ! They're down significantly this year on last ! Now , wise up kid , or forever loose my respect 🙏

And be grateful for forbearance BILLY , Every other market would have repossed all those homes and inflicted absolute misery on a generation whose only fault was to buy into the celtic tiger , I'm one of them , my mortgage was extended to 72 hrs, if I live that long at least I'll own it 😀 , the FG , Michael Noonan , saying how vulture funds provided an essential service , well I bet his kids never had to look over their shoulders at vultures , makes me sick !

so was wont the government just build them instead? We have never had a time in modern history when they couldnt build. They built in the 30s - 80s and didnt have to build after that because the private sector took care of it up to 2008. Crumlin was built by unskilled labourers and Ballymun type towers (that all of Europe is full of) is assembled on site by unskilled labour and built in factories by machines

Because there is a severe shortage of builders. Builders take time to train. Its also a physically destructive career (across nearly all the trades) so many leave to go do another job in their 40s or 50s, physically unable to work at building anymore. There is also demand for all those trades globally, so we aren't just competing with other projects here, we're competing with building sites in Australia, and Qatar, etc

If there was an easy answer it would have been done by now.

• Advertisement

Id be happy for all the celtic tiger non payers to lose their homes. Considering us renters can be evicted its only fair you should be too. My generations only fault is being born in the 90s and not working in tech

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement