Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranked as second worst city in the world for traveling by car

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

What is the free travel pass?

For over 65's?

I think most countries have that in place already.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Over 65’s, but also other folk, like those with disabilities, carers, etc.

And no it isn’t common at all. Across mainland Europe, it is more common to give a reduced fare, but not a free fare. For instance in Paris I think it is 50% off, but not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Lofidelity

In the last year or two the corporation has narrowed junctions along the grand canal with extended footpaths, such as at Dolphins Barn and Clogher road. Where traffic could pass on the inside, now has to wait behind a car turning across the oncoming traffic. The only possible reason is to frustrate traffic in the hope of discouraging people from driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Or you know, it could have been done to improve the safety of other active travel users both on and off the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when you're used to privilege, equality feels like oppression...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Lofidelity

Adding another metre of concrete to a pavement is not going to make it safer than it already was. There are few pedestrians along this route. These junctions already had pedestrian lights.

For what its worth im a cyclist and free flowing traffic suits me. Im making an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Yeah, and I'm just providing a counter-argument. By Dolphin's Barn, I'm guessing you probably meant Herberton Road in terms of recent foothpath build out (I don't think there's been any activity at Crumlin Road in the past year or two)? That junction didn't have any pedestrian lights until recently. It also had overly wide radii on the turns, encouraging drivers to cut in in front of cyclists and take the turns at speed. Clogher Road only had pedestrian lights on one arm of the junction. Again, as is often the case, pedestrians came second class and were expected to make multi-stage crossings or dart across from one bit to another in between light changes. I've seen plenty of pedestrians at both those junctions, school-going parents and children in particular at Clogher Road.

Not all cyclists have equal levels of high confidence in terms of mixing with free flowing and turning traffic. The structure of our road network should be based on providing for all, not just those happy with the status quo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Advertisement