Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranked as second worst city in the world for traveling by car

Options
  • 15-01-2024 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

I suppose it's something that anyone that lives in Dublin is aware of, I heard this in the news last week but didn't see a thread on boards.

The traffic is absolutely mental. (At nearly all times of the day and everywhere, not just inside the canals)

The report is detailed here: https://www.tomtom.com/traffic-index/ranking/

For me the interesting things are, if you click on the "Europe" radio button, the top 10 cities all have good rail public transport systems, with the exception of Dublin.

The Congestion level % and Time lost are also unusually high for Dublin.

There was lots of pieces on this on Newstalk over the Wednesday. And there seemed to be consensus on a few points made by the various bodies, politicians, contributors and presenters etc.

BusConnects has been far to slow and has not delivered what it promised. It's going on since 2018 at this stage and nothing meaningful has been delivered. If anything, things have gotten worse. shortage of drivers, slower service along with ghost buses and the max ability of moving just 3000 people per direction per hour on the "Spines" is just not going to be enough.

The number of cars crossing the canals into the city has been in decline since 2006, with no explanation as to why traffic is worse now than what it was, despite there being less cars. The CSO reports have shown the ratio of people walking, cycling, using public transport and driving has remained roughly the same over the last few years. And because of this, it's felt that a Congestion charge will have 0 effect, people will just pay it (as they do in London).

There is a strong belief amoung motorists that the Green Party are to blame for the congestion in Dublin. Many blaming one way systems, cycle lanes, stupid speed limits, etc. Some are claiming that Green Party's modus operandi is to make as many drivers as miserable as they possibly can. I don't think this is true although they do wish to encourage people not to use their cars.

I heard the word "Metro" about 40 or 50 times. It's 20 years to late, and in my mind given the cost, planning problems along with a whole host of other issues, is VERY likely to be pushed back after the election this year. (If it happens this year).

Another thing that came up many times, was that Dublin needs a directly elected Mayor with power and control over accessibility, culture, planning and safety. I'd be behind this to a degree. But then again we already had an unelected city manager (Owen Keegan) who did try to make changes. That being said he was deeply unpopular.

My own belief is that the traffic situation in Dublin at the moment is ridiculous, we are not a mega city but we have mega city problems because of lack of investment, planning and skills. I avoid driving a car into Dublin at all costs and favour the motorcycle or public transport. I predict in the next 5 years Dublin will top the list with so many apartments and houses being built with no supporting infra.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

I think the main reason why less cars and slower journey times is the traffic light sequences and the inclusion of pedestrian phases in light sequences.

I think this slows all traffic down including public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Good post.

I think one problem is that it's way faster to drive than take the bus. So there's no incentive to not drive.

It's interesting that there's less cars entering the city (despite a rising population) but traffic congestion is worse. Is there a reason for this?

There's lots of good projects on the way like Metro, Dart+, Busconnects, Finglas Luas etc but in reality we're going to be relying on buses to do most of the heavy lifting for decades and decades.

So right now the only solution is to incentivise buses and bikes and de-incentivise cars. Also improve infrastructure for both.

I think Vienna (I know everyone goes on about there) has an annual ticket for €365 that covers all public transport in the city like buses, trams, Metro etc. Maybe we could do something like that once Bus Connects is near completion as a promotion.

Also incentivise Hybrid working as much as possible with tax breaks or something.

Maybe more park and rides might help but apparently they're not too popular.

You're right it's only going to get worse. Dublin County's population is rising about 18,000 a year.

I wonder what impact self driving buses would have, assuming they'll be viable within 10 years.

Could we just have loads of self driving buses and ban cars inside the canal.

The buses will be electric also so very cheap to run. Can charge at night with surplus wind energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

@orangerhyme

It's interesting that there's less cars entering the city (despite a rising population) but traffic congestion is worse. Is there a reason for this?

This is the million dollar question... Part of me believes it poor junction design, the other part of me believes there's a stack of people out there that just cannot drive a car and really shouldn't be driving, I think the driving test has been to easy to pass the last 10 years.

Heres' the canal cordon report:

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/NTA-Canal-Cordon-Report-2022-Final.pdf

Print of the traffic graph

Like the cars are down nearly 18,000

Is traffic congestion definitely worse? Is there data on that?

One factor not included is that the population between the canals is rising every year. By 2 or 3000 I think.

We assume these people don't have cars or leave the car at home and walk but I bet they don't.

Apparently also traffic is fine when schools out in the summer so that's definitely one area to improve somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I dont know who makes those studies.

Ive been driving in plenty of cities where it was far worse than Dublin.

Dublin is bad though, but only because of the lack of proper alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I would think it's obvious that they have prioritised bus lanes over the other traffic lanes and there is now fewer lanes for cars carrying the normal single occupant.

As it should be.

No mention of how much safer the roads are now to a few years ago even if that is now declining again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The advantage of the few bus lanes that have been created at the expense of general traffic is negated by the fact that buses are still subject to the same slow sequences of traffic lights, which are skewed in favour of pedestrians and cyclists.

Put simply, buses now reach red lights sooner to sit at them longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I never drive from my house to the city centre as the bus is much quicker.

Really the only solution is a proper Metro.

Copenhagen has built 4 since 2002 and are planning a 5th right now.

That should be the benchmark, constantly expanding the Metro.

The forthcoming Metro should be extended to Donabate and Sandyford at both ends. The next line should be from Tallaght to Poolbeg Peninsula or else to somewhere in the NE.

• Advertisement

I think the motorway network is the contributing factor to reducing road deaths.

You could be correct and about traffic light. Some of the sequences are terrible. Traffic management is perfectly fitted task for AI, it could easily mange it.

Buses are always gonna be slow. The newer buses don't have big engines. and are slow to accelerate, roundabouts are a night mare for them. The bus stops are to close together. unloading and loading passengers at busy times of the day is very slow

As mentioned the max a fully service bus connect corridor/spine is 3000 people per hour per direction. In contrast to that, the Metro will be able to handle 20,000 per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,412 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I could've sworn Conor Skehan says Dublin is No1 for congestion in the world

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/down-to-business/conor-skehan-on-making-dublin-a-nicer-place-to-live

If we had more Metro lines, then we could have orbital routes feeding into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I'm just back from a vacation in the Philipines, and visited three cities, Butuan, Cebu and Davao.

Each of them are worse (for car traffic) that Dublin.

A car trip (from Butuan to Davao) same distance as Dublin to Cork takes six hours.

Post edited by GerardKeating on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

So that's the "pedestrians & cyclists slow down buses" theory out the window. Biggest problem for buses is cars blocking the bus lanes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I've never seen traffic light sequences skewed in favour of either pedestrians or cyclists. They're skewed against buses though. The gap in traffic created when cars pull away quickly, while the bus pulls away slowly, usually triggers a red light for the bus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interestingly Amsterdam has some of the lowest levels of traffic congestion!

It turns out give people how quality cycling infrastructure, buses, trams and Metros and they choose to use it and results in freeing up space for cars!

It is really something that folks who complain about space being given up to bus lanes and cycle lanes should remember, it is reducing traffic congestion.

Also the same sort of high quality engineering and planing that goes into building their cycle lanes, also goes into their road planning too. Lots of one way streets and traffic calming measures actually turn out to improve traffic flow and congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

“Don’t use your car” we are told but we are light years away from any required significant improvements in the public transportation network..

Population growing exponentially and that’s going to continue as committed to and confirmed by Leo & co. as while there maybe a public will or want to curtail it, there is zero political mainstream movement or actual action to curtail it, so when eventually we get the likes of a metro, it’s going to be at close to or at capacity for much of the day… from day 1 of operations.

the only solution would be IF they’d had the foresight / money to build two lines in reasonably close timeframe to one another….

Now, there is only one line planned ‘Metrolink’…. Nothing active is in the pipeline for Metro West or Metro South… decades away if they ever get built…

an absolute dive of a country now… come in one and all but no services being enabled for the current population let alone those arriving and the population increasing at the rate it is…..

spend time in Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Manchester, Madrid etc,.. witness brilliant, well thought out, responsibly planned and effectively integrated public transport…

then…. Dublin 😵‍💫🙄🤷🏻

further absurd absolute gridlock awaits 😵‍💫

Seriously? No one has noticed the small signal clusters on traffic light poles that give cyclists a few seconds head-start green on traffic? And pedestrian phases taking noticeably longer? This is what I call skewing in favour of cyclists and pedestrians.

I'm not complaining about it, by the way. But it's coming at a cost for buses as they are lumped in with general traffic which is being held back at lights for longer. A notable exception in Dublin city centre is the eastbound junction on north quays with Queen Street where cyclists and buses both get several seconds of a head-start green light.

Post edited by StreetLight on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

It doesnt include the cars starting and ending their journeys within the canals.

Loads more apartments within the canals since 2006, espeically in the Docklands/Liberties/Heuston areas.

The flashing amber lights at pedestrian crossings may as well be done away with as few cars take any notice of them.

We also need dedicated protest routes, so that the Luas and Bus networks dont get shut down every Saturday afternoon to facilitate a protest, meaning everyone that can just avoids public transport and drives instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

The Green Party along with Dublin City Council are absolutely to blame for the congestion. Closing lanes to motorists, making the bus lanes along the quays 24 hours, closing Capel Street, stopping motorists drive through College Green, those ugly bollards on Church Street, Fairview etc.

Of course, all these measures are going to cause congestion, was this not obvious?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Amsterdam does all these sort of measures and far more, yet has much lower levels of congestion.

All those people cycling in the cycle lane and sitting in those buses are less car congestion. Logically the more people who leave their car behind, the less congestion there is.

Remember if you are sitting in a car, you are the car congestion.

The 24 bus lanes on the quays that allow the 5000 people on buses move quicker than the 500 people in cars? I think that's fairly acceptable congestion considering it moves more people more quickly. Bollards don't cause congestion, they (generally poorly) stop drivers breaking the law.

I've noticed them in many places, though not generally in Dublin. Though I basically never drive there. I don't think they are remotely the norm in Dublin, at least yet?

In terms of bus congestion, I don't think it is included in these figures, but obviously as much priority as possible should be given to them and yes there are far too many places still where they get stuck in private car congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I'm not arguing the merits or otherwise of these delays, you stated yourself that the 24 hour bus lanes cause congestion. I was merely providing the main reasons for the congestion.

The bollards do cause congestion. On the top of Church Street before Constitution Hill, before Covid, it was possible for three lanes of traffic to queue before the lights, where traffic turning left could easily filter to the left. Now it's only possible for two lanes resulting in...yes congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

What I don't like about the pedestrian traffic lights that usually there's one phase for all directions while in other European countries usually there are more pedestrian phases, based on a phase for other traffic. This is mostly because there aren't that many wide roads and big junction here and it's less common to have a few lanes splitting by direction at an approach to the junctions. This results to pedestrians needing to wait longer. I noticed after covid Dublin centre has either more often or longer pedestrian greens. This is good, except that we also need that bus cyclists and buses. We're still too good to cars coming to town. There are too many private parking garages in town.

• Advertisement

I think that's a completely different kettle of fish, those places are more geared towards motorcycles than cars

The reason the intercity journey was so long is because they have no motorways over there. Dub to Cork is at least 4 hours 30 mins not using the motorway.

They are an absolute nuisance, poor design idea that does indeed favour cyclists. They're all over the Grand Canal or where there is a segregated cycle lane that intersects with a road. They are necessary though as a properly segregated cycle lane is better for motorists and cyclists (See Baldoyle to Portmarnock). It think it's the volume of intersections that's the issue... again design.

Richard Guiney (CEO of Dublin Town) himself said that the pedestrianisation of Capel Street has presented many challenges. He said less and less people are availing of "services" in the city centre and are ordering online or going to there local M50 Shopping centre. And in addition to that, he said if a congestion charge was to be introduced that it should include places likes Liffey Valley, Blanch, Dundrum, Pavilions, etc.

In relation to College Green and the Quays, these are Bus Corridors now and during Rush hour they are absolutely jammed with buses. Like there is very little in the way of additional capacity for busses in those areas. I crossed the loop line bridge on the DART on the way home last night and roads are awash with a sea of yellow....

I think its a myth that cars hold up buses... I think buses hold up buses more than anything else. They are slow, inefficient but most importantly they're cheap relative to Rail.

Advertisement