Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hurling League 2024 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Gonna be great craic for fans of counties in 1A. Will finally feel like the football league. Lovely competitive 1B too for everyone except Waterford.

In reality someone has to lose out but sadly this is the hurling league and in 2 years people will be crying and whinging for change back to some sort of all inclusive shadow boxing tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Let's be honest it is rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic. Any tournament that has to be artificially rejigged every couple of years is not a real league system IMO.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

its proper order to structure it this way , and it will actually improve hurling , offaly will come on a ton with that young team , and looking at that westmeath team last night , they will consolidate themselves a 1b team for years to come which will really help the game in the county as will in laois

it also offers a huge incentive to the 2A counties in meath kildare , kerry down ect , there is great hurling in them counties and gives them a better platform to aim for

it will help dublin out of their slumber too, they will get promoted next year and realise that they need to up it a gear , they have some fine hurlers but seem very laxed at the moment

they should keep it the way it is as of next season , it worked really well in the 80s and 90s they closed the shop in recent years on emerging teams with the system that was in place , it will drive you lot on too i feel , ye are much better then what ye have showed in the last 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Maybe your'e right the div1 are basically all the top sides in hurling now. Good for the neutrals.

Dublin have gone miles back really worrying, and they just really fold in games has happened too many times now.

Maybe if they kept it as is for a 2/3 year period might work better. And make the jeopardy of being relegated even more important.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

you are right but , he is big lad but no conditioning whatsoever , we had lads like podge and tots o connell that were only 5 foot 4 or 5 and could go into a ruck and win it, i still go back to the drawn all ireland final in 2013 where podge collins all 5 foot 5 went in for a 50/50 against lorcan mcloughlin who was 6ft2 and shouldered him out of the way

screaney and Ravenhall are in danger of becoming the next niall mcmanus or shane dooley if they dont start bulking up , did you see the lad that ran into tim o mahoney and nearly killed himself , mahoney gave a look of a man who was just about ready to quit the game when he got a yellow card for it

on the other hand offaly had a junior B back that nearly pulled the shorts off brian hayes , look at his defending and the level of defending required , like craig morgan last night or mikey butler or adam hogan today , they cant even foul properly

its not gone back if its strong at club level , i argue this point with clare football all the time , dublin hurling at club level is as good as down here , its the structure or belief thats wrong , last year when donal burke went off against us the whole dublin team shrank , and when you contrast that with how his club and especially the two curries played and grew game by game in his absence in the club championship highlights it , shane currie played today against galway and was only half the man he was in the club championship before christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I did laugh at the shorts being pulled. It was like he wanted to take them home.

Brian Carroll had a right cut off Johnny Kelly last week, on a pod, about it being about time that he saw Kelly's imprint on the side. Kelly's not there that long and it's serious sides he's coming up against with a whole culture he's trying to change. But there's pressure there and I think it's a little unwarranted. I think Offaly are putting too much pressure on this successful bunch underage and keeping them together. And I think this combined schools thing is a joke altogether. They'd be better off letting them cut lumps out of one another and letting them take on whoever with small school identity intact. Let them feel the weight of carrying a team...

Any inside scoop on what's going on with the Gaelic Grounds? Seven games (maybe more) in Thurles since Jan, senior hurling, football, and the quirke game (Limerick played league there too), before it needed a break... Not one in the GG? Thought it had work done last year? Did they get in the Dundon McCarthy's to spray paint the grass? Someone run off with JP's money?

i have no scoop on it , all i hear is it will be ready for their first home game in may , it should be accurate enough as it took only 3 months to get cusack park from being an extra for a cabbage patch kids prop to a top playing surface which it was today

johnny kelly needs to be banging the drum though about s/c about maybe 2027 being a target for leinster and all that , i like the offaly crowd they are a colorful bunch and we have a great history against them especially 98, but they have had a good underage football and hurling teams in recent years and they are getting restless

the reaction to the loss in the football to us two or three weeks ago highlights just how impatient they are , a lad i worked with and was my boss at one time in the past ciaran mcmanus was heavily critical of the young teams performance on twitter , that helps nobody , but it also highlights the frustration in the county , ciaran was one of the most placid and funny lads you could meet , it would take a lot to get him going

they need to let their own public know its going to take another 4 to 5 seasons to hit a real level of competitiveness and take the pressure off the younger lads

I suppose they need money to do that and they need to create a scene/belief to generate the money. It's a tough one. Huge hunger for it there alright.

McManus was a great footballer.

• Advertisement

he had some great stories , he worked for the esb international in germany and used to fly home twice a week which was some commitment , he was still playing for ferbane in his 40s , he used to cycle every day to this hill in moneypoint , that was as steep as benbulben throw the bike on the ground and sprint up the hill , he was something to behold in fairness , got station manager in carrington in manchester the last we heard of him but a gas man

offaly have the money , lowery is only one beificer to the team and what's required doesn't cost as much as people think , its something in leinster that seems to be a taboo of some sort , look ad laois under eddie brennan and either side of it , eddie was screwed by a friend of the county board and laois hurling has suffered since , meath footballers have improved ten fold since colm o rourke brought in the king of s/c sean boylan to the meath team this year

I thought it was a Parkinson's error who screwed Eddie?

I do think there's an attitude issue with the Laois players too. Lads coming back with a lot of timbre in preseason, not to mention hounding out coaches (very recently too).

He might be closer than you think: https://x.com/ESBGroup/status/1673704780311429121?s=20

Anyway, another league for Limerick unless they meet Clare in the final? Into the Gaelic Grounds again is it?!?!? 😂

he back in dublin putting up the price of electricity by 40% like all good esb people do , it doesn't matter how well you might know someone 🙄😜

i always taught it was some midlands 104 reporter that lets just say recorded brennen off record talking about the county board , either way he had them flaying , waterford needed extra time nearly against them on their way to the 2020 all ireland

personally i am hoping we win the league , we basically need something to show for the last 3 years

He'll go close I think. Have a right chance. I hear Taylor and Kelly were running before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rjoe90

Course they can get bigger and stronger now with a good gym program. Look at the difference in cian lynch/gillane/flanagan now as to 5/6 years ago.

It's tough enough to bring an underage team into a Liam McCarthy side but to try bring them into a tier 2 side and turn them into a top tier side is very tough.

To get where Offaly want to go you almost need these lads to mature and another strong u20 team to come in behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That's probably a very noteworthy thing to say. They actually need another batch coming through. Makes sense

Flanagan taking a serious chance not taping up his jewelry. All it takes is one snag and it can lead to a bad rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Conversations 3

What was the red card for?

I didn't see the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Interfering with the helmet. Glennons pull on Lynch wasn't great and that started the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Real silly to do something like that. Not only for the red but what Glennon done gets forgotten about too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭newhouse87

V Dangerous ripping helmet off like that, could easily tear on the ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Took the "fourth" official to spot it. Didn't even realise he had "reporting rights"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He's a listed official so he can inform the ref.

Correct decision, can't agrue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wonder are Limerick bothered about this game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭newhouse87

yeah was hard to spot until slow mo but was v dangerous thing to do, i remember Declan fannings ear after pj banville(horsebox) ripped it off in similar fashion.

Very bad chop down by Burke there. A strike. Significant impact on the chest. Casey goes down holding his face guard which is disappointing.

I'm sure they do. But they're already qualified so that's bound to have an effect.

Have to get this shoulder to the head out of the game.

• Advertisement

O'Donoghue changed this game after he came on. He's minded Hannon like gold, won dirty ball, and passed the ball well.

Advertisement