Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hurling League 2024 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Seadin

I said it before. He is fragile and we just won't win an All Ireland if we have to depend on him going forward, same as Lehane. Lehane tonight had moments of brilliance and then hits a few wides and dropping the ball short. Just won't get you over the line. IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

He won't be taking over from TJ Reid anytime soon.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm guessing TJ Reid is not retiring from inter county?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

But where is the hype you mentioned ?? There’s no hype in Kilkenny!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Maybe it's died down then, isn't he supposed to be the next great hope for kk?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭kksaints

Yeah but that's a very high bar to reach. I'd be hopefully that he'll become a regular starter for us in the next two years or so. He's a excellent free taker, he has a knack of finding space to tap one over the bar and he's usually fairly clinical when he gets the ball. He does have areas to improve atm in particularly with regards to his mobility but I'm confident that will come in time. The main concern as far as I can see is that he plays for a Junior club who are unlikely to get promoted in the next few years. I'd just wonder whether he will get the hurling he needs a club level to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"The main concern as far as I can see is that he plays for a Junior club"

The greatest success of the academy in Limerick is to move away from this kind of attitude. If a county is doing things properly then it won't matter what level a club is because the top players will get top training from a young age. You are way behind if still thinking club championships will bring players on.

Hegarty, Hayes, Quaid, Finn and others have rarely or never played senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭kksaints

Depends on the county I feel, Wexford did something very similar to Limerick the last few years but it just led to them developing a lack of squad depth and made it tricky for them to drop under-performing players. Players get lazy if they think they're guaranteed their place on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

carlow deserve a mention on here , i reckon they are a solid 1b team next year under the new format , huge win today against meath but last week against kerry their touch and application was top drawer ,marty kavanagh has always been a top hurler but it seems they have one or two more joining in now for a county with 8 or 9 clubs they produce some really good technical hurlers the new format will really suite them if they go up this year

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭C4000

Having watched all 6 Division one games, id have to say that it was a very enjoyable weekend of hurling. One of the best National League rounds in a good while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

all 4 games televised were evenly matched , the wexford v offaly game was nearly the best game of the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

The new format is shooting itself in the foot with groups of 7 and 2 up/2 down.

There is a very distinct top 9 and in all likelihood the two teams that go down will go straight back up the following year.

It’s a near certainty that the format will be changed before 2030 on that basis. Those two teams will be seen as having an unfair advantage over the other 7 teams in the cutthroat environment of Division 1. Similar complaints occurred when 1B teams won the 2017 & 2018 championships.

But 6 team groups with 1 up / 1 down was great. Took Limerick 7 years to get out of 1B - while 1A was a dogfight between the top teams 1B was brutally punishing in the sense that one slip up and your promotion hopes were in tatters. Limerick lost out a couple of times via unexpected slip ups against Offaly. It was incredibly satisfying once we finally topped that division and earned promotion.

The complaints should have been ignored in 2017/18, laughable stuff to change the format of a competition because some of the counties believe it to be too competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭randd1

The 1A/1B group style form a few years ago (the one with the league SF's being top 1A vs top 1B, and 2nd and 3rd in the league SF's) was great stuff, and the best league format for a long time. I'd bring it back in a heartbeat.

But I would make it more competitive this time around, in that I would have two go up/down between 1A and 1B. More changeover in teams in 1A, more to play for in 1B (particularly for the weaker sides), more danger in what is essentially the same combined division anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

With the Galway footballers and hurlers clashing I'll be using my football season ticket this weekend. Anybody wants my two hurling season tickets for the Antrim game pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Always think that is unfair on people that follow both codes. Scheduling should at least give supporters a chance to be able to see both live, if possible. Especially if Galway - Cork - maybe Dublin etc

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If Dublin stay within 15 of Limerick would be doing well. Hope Limerick don’t dish out a right hiding.

It does not say much for the state of hurling that arguably the 8th best team is hoping to keep the score down. Wide pitch Croke Park favours Limerick as well.

If Dublin get a goal I will choke on me Ham Sambo. Because at the best of times a Dublin goal is an event in itself so rare.

Eoghan O’Donnell still out for Dublin. Might have helped if he was playing. But still Dublin have been very loose defensively. Game could be over as contest after 15-20 minutes.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

How can anyone be confident of the year ahead when a Limerick team in 2nd gear can score 3-30 in Croke Park in February

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'm confident that if Limerick get out of Munster, they will the All Ireland.

They very nearly didn't get out last year, which was a pity - not from a Limerick perspective obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

Limerick were seen as untouchable after the league last year only for there to be a puck of the ball in it in all 5 of their matches in Munster in the following two months. They’re obviously favourites for the All Ireland but I wouldn’t read too much into what happens in February and March.

Well Limerick can feel confident 🤣

But in truth the post above is pretty accurate.

• Advertisement

Yet another draw for Wexford

Kilkenny pushed all the way by Offaly

Cork really need those 2 points to stay in touch now. Any less and their only hope is to stay in Div 1 through the best 4th position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Those Cork jerseys are actually cool.

Downey might be worth a go up front after that point. Powerful runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

They're a long and not in a good way from their tradtional colour.

Good instinct for the goal.

If things stay the way they are (things will change - still two rounds left):

2025 NHL 1A 

Clare 

Cork

Galway 

Kilkenny

Limerick 

Tipperary

Wexford

2025 NHL 1B

Waterford 

Offaly

Dublin 

Westmeath 

Antrim

Carlow 

Laois

Why were Cork wearing pyjamas today ?

I hope we are not getting like the soccer where teams wear change kits even with no clash.

Charlie Mitchell is a player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Seadin

Why was Kyle Hayes playing yesterday for Limerick?

Advertisement