Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really safe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

100% agree.

Perceptions change.

I remember in 2007 someone said to me something like "Dublin's like a warzone, there seems to be a murder every week in the news."

Looking back now we know 2007 was the peak and it's been trending down since with a brief upwards trend for the Kinahan/Hutch feud around 2018.

If you read the property pages on Boards.ie or search Reddit, you've lots of people asking "What's Raheny/Tallaght/Cabra/Blanch etc like?" cos they're looking for affordable homes and invariably for the cheaper areas, the response is "It's quietened down a lot in past 10/20 years".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Channel 4 Had a Harrowing Police Station - 24 Hours in Police Custody featuring a double Murder Stabbing In Luton last year on the last 2 nights .

It showed the quick & no messing response to catch the perpetrators which was very impressive , armed units getting these people from their adrersses , the two culprits got a minimum of 34 years & 38 years before parole will be considered, i doubt very much they would get half the sentence here is my point , we appear very soft on crime .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

That's a different issue and comes down to the lack of jail space a lot of time. Also if you go to the UK they have their own issues with early release for a lot of criminals, so it might look good on a tv program but in reality did they serve that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Those threads are hilarious. They see a teenager pass a bag of something to somebody in the local park and the thread is full of references to "open air drug dealing".

You saw a kid sell a 50 bag of weed and cycle off.

It's not exactly The Wire is it.

Culture changes. These areas are not half as bad as they were because

• teenagers drink less and spend less time hanging about on the streets, parks, playgrounds at night
    • unlike the 90s few to no teens getting into heroin
    • car manufacturing means they're impossible to steal without keys or serious expertise- a far cry from the 90s when there were nightly rallys of cars robbed with a screwdriver

Honestly those property threads, the sheltered lives these people lead.

Yeah one factor is the huge drop in birthrates and also there's way more distractions like streaming and phones and internet so people aren't hanging around outside. You used to see huge groups of people hanging around outside in the 90s. That's all gone.

Also I think the drug trade has moved online to Snapchat and Insta.

Also lots of great work done in social programs like early intervention which isn't really written about much.

Most of the assaults and murders we hear about are personal feuds anyway.

If you keep your head down and don't get involved in drugs or criminality, the odds of something bad happening to you are tiny. Driving a car is far more dangerous than living in the most deprived areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Indeed, I think one thing that put kids on the streets in the 90s was family size.

Your parents are watching the six one news and your three sisters are hogging the portable watching Home and Away in the kitchen, out to the streets you and your brothers go.

Nowadays you have one max two siblings and you all have your own tablet.

In the 90s it wasn't uncommon to see 8, 9 year olds from the more dysfunctional families running about causing havoc after midnight. Seeing a kid of that age out now is simply unthinkable.

When I was in my teens/ 20s if I was passing a group of strangers my age I'd clench my fist ready in case it kicked off (it never did but you knew others it happened to)

I honestly can't recall the last time I walked past a big group of teenagers late at night.

I'm from the countryside but the theory still stands.

We had one tv and no internet or mobile phones.

If you were bored you read a book or played a boardgame or played sport or climbed trees etc.

Birthrates peaked in '79 but were still high through the 80s. Also cos the Celtic Tiger emigration dropped considerably, so by the 90s you'd huge amounts of teens hanging around.

It's no coincidence our golden generation of footballers arrived in the late 90s and early 00s.

Robbie Keane and Richard Dunne probably spent every evening outside playing soccer.

The Gooch said the same in Killarney. Loads of kids with nothing to do so they just played sport. It's easy at that age to choose the good or bad influence.

It's a bit off topic but it's also why youth movements and subcultures don't really form anymore.

Possibly music genres also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's different in urban areas. Kids do actually head out and see each other, they're usually within walking distance to each other. Urban areas produce most creatives, bands, artists etc... Urban sports has increased more than rural sports too.

• Advertisement

From the first article

Another reason attributed to the rise is an administrative improvement, with better recording by the Garda of weapons seized. In 2016, the force began using a new property and exhibit management system that has more accurately itemised weapons confiscated.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Baba Yaga

is dublin safe? well....its probably safer then say bogata,columbia or mexico city but probably not as safe as say reykjavik,iceland...mind you our scobies would blend in nicely in their canada goose jackets in iceland!!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Robert Nairac

No, it's not safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,649 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm told that Coppers was buzzing last night, on a quiet Tuesday in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Haha - that worked out brill with Ballymun in the 1960s.

On a serious note - what I dont like about this 'solution' is the otherness it attributes to people who live in the Inner City, as if 'we' can move 'them'.

'They' are every much as part of this society as you or me. We dont get to make the decisions like this, any more than they decide where we should live.

Second, actually I think you are wrong here. There are thousands and thousands of degenerate scumbags in Dublin yes.........but they are already coming from all over the city including the suburbs, into the city centre.

I;ve noticed that when you read about people convicted for attacks in Temple Bar - they are very often living in some part of West Dublin, and for the most part male teenagers or men in their early 20s.

Coppers kind of has a monopoly on traditional nightclub in the city centre so it's packed every night of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The city was hopping over the Xmas. Great atmosphere.

Ah to be fair, it didnt really 'gentrify', it transitioned from a place with lots of derelict industrial sites to being a residential location; hence they have to give it a name.

Different to say Stoneybatter or Cabra which very much have gentrified; but nobody is changing their names.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Gerr outta here with your facts.

One woman is responsible for all this. We had law and order before this. No one was ever shot in broad daylight, attacked with slash hooks on Smithfield square, innocent plumbers killed for being in the wrong place, at the wrong time and the killers never found.

Women weren’t being abducted, never to be seen again. And on, and on and on….

It’s amazing, Simon Harris was Minister for Justice for 6 months and no one was calling for his head. It’s almost like a certain element of society is prejudiced against a woman holding one of the most important portfolios.

Who was it that used not recognise the existence of this State but went on to represent the same constituency at Minister McEntee?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

They can live there if they get a job and pay for it like everyone else. It’s crazy having people commute from satellite towns into the city centre to work as they are bidding against the cc which house social housing tenants there. They don’t need to be in Dublin City centre.

You must work for RTE as they never seem to ask this question either.

• Advertisement

After the stabbing on Hardwicke St last night, I saw loads of people saying "Helen McEntee needs to resign, she's out of her depth, Dublin's a kip"... etc

She's not Batman. Is she supposed to be standing on top of the GPO protecting the city and ready to pounce on criminals!?

It would be like if there's a fatal car crash in Donegal, people saying Eamon Ryan needs to resign.

It had a name, estate agents came up with something they could spin it as a "cool place" and make more money

Some people love that sort of stuff and are willing to pay more just so they can tell everyone they live in that location. We have all met the types :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

What politicians do you like, that also have a track record in office?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Exactly. Anti-democratic groups love resignations as it creates a vacuum for them to prosper in and build support and prove their worth to their followers.

It’s been Sinn Féin’s MO since they got into County Councils. Call for whoever is the flavour of week for them to target to resign.

It doesn’t play well to their followers if they said, ‘let’s give them a chance and see how it goes for a little while.’ There’s no votes in that.

With Minister McEntee, they have a double whammy. They hate law and order (they prefer their own private justice system) but now can appeal to the misogynists of Ireland who may not have listened to them before and get them on board that ‘she’ isn’t cut out for this.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Relevance?

The Greens will be squarely dumped out of office anyway at the upcoming GE.

Their support has collapsed and polls show barely a 3% vote share.

They will be lucky to muster a couple of seats in the Dail.

McEntees been big on laws protecting women in areas like stalking and domestic abuse.

Lots of far right figures have history in this type of abuse so she's an obvious lighting rod.

The Green party is the latest in a long line of small coalition parties who get blamed for everything by some of the people in Ireland.

It doesn't matter who the small party is they are the one to blame for all their ills.

Maybe the green party will struggle in next election, but Im sure if Soc Dem or whoever is a small party in next government the smae numpties will turn on that party after the Green party.

• Advertisement

Advertisement