Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Out of Season 2024

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I dreamt about Christmas the last two nights in a row now.

Last nights dream tho created a new trend which I hope comes to fruition I dreamt that the tv stations started making a big deal of Jan 2nd, they loaded their tv schedules with classic movies, Christmas specials, etc. It was the final sign off on Christmas. I even remarked in my dream as I must book Jan 2nd off next year!

Sadly in real life Christmas doesn't make it to Dec 31st anymore on tv let alone Jan 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Mean to say, was late driving home from the office on Friday and noticed as a i drove long the canal that there was still one house with their Christmas tree in the window with the lights twinkling away. That's the only one I've seen in the last 2 or 3 weeks.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Only one tree let up here in my neighbourhood but the lights were turned off weeks ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I seen a house yesterday that still had lighting snowflake lights up outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Went for a walk at 6pm yesterday evening, so I was in a part of my estate I'm not usually in after dark and spotted a fully lit Christmas tree in one of the windows. I must keep an eye out and see how long they keep it up for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Took out our Christmas snap cards last night for a game! Don't think we played it once over the actual Christmas period.

Link in case anyone is looking for them! Great for smallies & stocking fillers: https://usborne.com/gb/christmas-snap-9780746076347

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭A cup of te

Took 18 homemade mince pies out of the freezer on Saturday morning and we had them all polished off by yesterday evening! They tasted like Christmas with the sherry and mixed spice :)

Driving in to the office through Chapelizod this morning & that house still has their external lights up at their front gates, was pleasantly surprised as they look great, definitely brightened up the drive in (pardon the pun).

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Not sure if this falls under out of season, but I got an awful pang of Christmas this morning in my house.

I'm the first in my house to get up, so I turn on the lights, sort the sitting room, flick on the heat (all the things my Mam would have done for us as kids) and while I was walking around the quiet dull sitting room the still of it all reminded me of a Christmas season day. I thought my Christmas cravings were gone for a while but that certainly got me right in the feels today.

• Advertisement

I can get cravings at all sorts of random times. I find Christmas and the build up as such a happy time that its my default fall back when craving some positivity or when feeling low or tired. So far haven't really had much this year but I'm sure the first one is in the post!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I got a pang yesterday seeing some of the lights still up on Grafton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I remember posting a photo of the Grafton Street lights the day after they were turned on. I just checked and it was November 17th. Although time seemed to fly by, it also feels like an age ago since I took the photo. The perception of time can be most strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Every time I hear that holiday advert with "it's the most wonderful time of year" sets me back to Christmas, shouldn't be aloud really for that advert.

Hate the fact they use my favourite Christmas song of all time in such a manner... its outrageous in fact 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

My aunt's small Christmas tree was still up in her house today. Only cos she's too sick to take it down, but still it was nice to see it. I'll do it with her next time I'm over.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭BK5

Seen an ad on the telly last night for Christmas2U 2024, a saving scheme company thing but very nice to see in February all the same.

Driving home last night & that tree & decorations on the house by the canal are gone. The lights are still up on that house in Chapelizod just before knockmaroon hill though!!

Still one set of outdoor multicoloured lights shining in my neighbourhood.

Just opened my last stollen to have with a cuppa...

• Advertisement

Found an unopened selection box in the eldest's room yesterday evening

Oh i love an unexpected find! Finders keepers right?

Finished off the last of the stollen there this afternoon with a cup of tea so that's it until early November before Lidl get it in stock again. Still have the Christmas Pud, which I've promised myself & the kids we'll eat on my birthday later this month. So all traces of Christmas treats are done until we're back in season.

Netflix has already begun announcing what holiday shows we can expect to watch this year!

So what can we expect from Netflix this Christmas?

Meet Me Next Christmas

Kicking off the holiday announcements is Meet Me Next Christmas starring a host of well-known faces including Christina Milian, Devale Ellis, Kofi Siriboe, Tymika Tafari, Mitch Grassi, and Scott Hoying.

Meet Me Next Christmas( Directed by Rusty Cundieff and produced by Mark Roberts) tells the story of Layla who is in pursuit of a fairytale romance with the man of her dreams, Layla must race through New York City to get her hands on the hottest ticket in town: the sold out Pentatonix Christmas Eve Concert.

That Christmas

Next is one we are looking forward to seeing – That Christmas! Based on the successful series of children’s books by BAFTA winner and Academy Award nominee Richard Curtis, Locksmith Animation’s heartwarming film marks the feature film directorial debut of renowned character animation and story artist veteran Simon Otto.

That Christmas follows a series of entwined tales about love and loneliness, family and friends, and Santa Claus making a big mistake, not to mention an enormous number of turkeys! Nicole P. Hearon (Moana, Frozen) and Adam Tandy (The Thick of It, Detectorists) are producers.

Currently, no other information including who may do the voiceovers for the series has been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭gifted

Anyone else still have their tree up? We have, im getting grief off herself but I still enjoy the lights on these dark misersble evenings.......it's probably gonna be gone after this weekend.

I personally don’t but I do admire anyone that still has some Christmas joy going in the off season!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭BK5

The street lights are still up in Ashbourne but obviously not turned on anymore and the Holiday was on one of the Sky movies channels last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Andrew93

Noticed them myself yesterday when driving. Do they stay up year round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Brought my aunt home from hospital today, her little tree is still up. Only because she was too ill to take it down (I did offer but shes fiercely independent), but still. Was nice to see.

Advertisement