Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Out of Season 2024

Options
  • 07-01-2024 10:34pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Cheap Christmas Treats in January?

Someone with their tree still up in February?

A Christmas film on TV in the middle of March?

Fairy lights for sale in April?

Anything festive left lying around the house?

If so, this is the thread for you! Come in and let us know if you've seen something magical and festive at any random time of the year.

And photos of anything festive are always very welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Keep an eye out on the tv listings throughout the year for Christmas tv specials and movies.

Channels like Dave, UKTV and E4 in particular run Christmas repeats as a way to boost ratings. The logic is if people are channel hopping and see Home Alone on or Gavin and Stacey Christmas special they’ll stop to watch it for that dopamine hit out of season.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Out for a walk this evening pleasantly surprised just how many houses still have their trees up. Much needed boost on a gloomy cold Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

As per the other thread, saw 5 in my Estate when driving home this evening

Heading out for a walk now so hopefully see a few more.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

A lot of places in Waterford still have the decorations up.

I saw 20 houses with trees and lights still up on this evenings walk. I imagine that figure will decrease each day but still uplifting to see that many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I only spotted two trees lit up this evening. I was only walking over to my parents though, which only takes 10 minutes. I wonder how long they'll last.

In Tesco tonight 3 shelves of discounted Christmas stock. Well 2 shelves one shelf had malteasers selection boxes for €5.50 they can keep them.

Im not paying full price for a selection box in January.

Also after eights gin and tonic flavour not a hit with loads left.

So many houses still with their trees up and lights on. When do they cave. 😂

Resentment of OH rising 😂

Those gin after eights aren't great, we got them last year and won't be getting them again

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

My local SuperValu still holding firm and not reducing any of the Christmas chocolate!

• Advertisement

In Lidl in Clonsilla this evening, loads of Christmas stock left. Pushed the diet back for a few days and purchased a couple of rum stollen, simply couldn't resist as they were reduced in price!

Yes I am weak!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭A cup of te

Ah, beautiful Waterford keeping the spirit alive. I have my December getaway to Waterford booked already! 2 nights this time. Can't get enough. There's a city that knows how to do Christmas :)

It's the European Christmas capital as well this year so expect Ireland's premier Christmas festival to be even better 😁

There's a house around the corner from us that has a spectacular light show that they do each year for charity, they've been doing it for about 3 years now and as we walked past their house this evening noticed that they were taking it all down... didn't see a single house with any lights still up on our walk either so it looks like we've no stalwarts this year hanging on into the second half of January.

Couple of pics from my walk tonight.

I listened to 2 Christmas songs on my walk this morning. Slowed down versions to get a different feel from my Christmas playlist.

Sorry not sorry.

Driving in to work this morning, one house in Chapelizod just down from Knockmaroon hill had some lovely external lights still up, looked great.

Also, the Fire Brigade Station at Dolphins barn still have their external christmas lights up & lit too. Both gave me a little smile this morning.

Just ate my last mince pie for the season there now. We had watched the Christmas GBBO special last night & the first challenge was to bake 12 mince pies which reminded me I had 3 left in the cupboard, so had 1 with a cup of tea last night watching GBBO, my son took the second last & the very last one I took with me in to work today (otherwise the chungfella would have had it eaten before i got home this evening!!).

I haven't frozen any this year so that's my last mince pie until December I suspect.

I just have the one, lone mince pie left. I usually buy far too many and freeze them too, but I don't enjoy them as much during the warmer weather, so I didn't stock up this year. I usually find some lurking in the back of the freezer the following Christmas.

I make Biscotti every year in the run up to Christmas, usually early in December and I would have one or two with my coffee every morning. There's mixed spice and dried cranberries in them, so they're definitely festive. I was a bit late making them last year, so I still have plenty left. They seem to last for months, so it's a nice little taste of Christmas in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I have only just opened our Christmas pudding, didn't use Christmas day also Lidl still had Brandy butter for sale so brought that to go with it with cream , it was lovely.

• Advertisement

You've reminded me we still have our Lidl Christmas pudding still at home unopened as we had too many desserts on Christmas Day after dinner.

Still have a stollen too... must find a way to enjoy these without absorbing the calories though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We are still nibbling away on the Christmas cake. We defo still have half a homemade pudding in the press & there is a shop bought one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭BK5

Ballymagarvey Village on the N2 still have the entrance and trees all lit up with their Christmas lights and it's epic.

I say it’s even more magical on a frosty night like this

3 noticeable houses left with their trees up in the neighbourhood.

2 still lit up one not lit. The house who has the tree up but not lit has form for leaving his tree up until April. First year he did that I feared for his health.

I did have a chuckle last weekend the 3 storey houses in my estate their sitting rooms are in the back of the house, I was looking out my bedroom window into the garden and my eyes caught Christmas lights shining in one of the 3 storey houses on their sitting room window.

I was thinking I wish my sitting room faced out the back of the house too I would have my window lights up all year.

Saw this in Dunnes today. Strong whiff of Christmas off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭BK5

Was driving back home yesterday evening and saw a tree in someone's front garden fully lit up with twinkling fairy lights, had a little smile to myself and said fair play to you pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

These lights are still up.

A neighbour still has lights up in his front garden.

I kept my Christmas tree up until around the 8th/9th February when we were in lockdown as did a number of neighbours.

Advertisement