Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cares Allowance Means Test Interrogations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Our review took six months and a payment was suspended until the requested information was supplied. They were the rules and there was nothing we could do only comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 WillYizCopOn

As I said previously, they have the statements. They can see the debits, credits figures . Lodgements and outgoings as clear as day. Also as I said if they needed any explanations to any entry I'm ok with that. As for the rest of that post...Really.???...Are you suggesting we shouldn't challenge any decisions our Government makes? That's extremely worrying. Take it lying down? Jump? How High Sir? Sickening!!

"there was nothing we could do only comply". How about go to your local TD/ Councillor. Start an online campaign to have the means test abolished. Bring it to the attention of the media etc......??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Look, you're cutting our own nose of to spite your own face.

DSP are not going to conduct the review on YOUR terms. It is on their terms.

Until you give them what they are requesting, (an unredacted statement) the will not complete the review. There is nothing personal in it, it is the same for everyone.

Again, the ball is in your court.

Have a nice evening.

MMM I wonder if the the no-nose allowance is means tested. Good Night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

What is your plan then? Are you going to abandon your principles and send them a bank statement without the text tippexed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I've heard my grandfather say it, I've heard my father say it and I have witnessed it for years and we have actually relied on the system in recent years. The faces in governments change but nothing really changes. Rich people get richer and poor people get poorer.

I will give you a laugh. Imagine this. A terminally ill person is suffering unimaginable pain and discomfort. The GP prescribes pain relief. The medical card doesn't cover it. The pharmacist applies to a hardship fund. The hardship fund doesn't cover it. The GP applies to the hardship fund. The hardship fund doesn't cover it. And round and round we go.

Welcome to Ireland, where everything is free unless you are Irish. We have given up wasting the time and the diesel going to vote for someone to become a millionaire.

Oh Yes, that and a a lot more. I've had a good sleep on it now. I'm going to get a shovel (scrap that), a mini digger and bury all my principals as deep as they will go down and concrete it over in case they ever try to escape again. Shut down my business (which I was struggling to operating even part time due to ill health), go on disability and take-take-take whatever comes with that. Thanks for all your advice. I needed that dose of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I don't get carer's allowance as I don't pass the means test due to my savings. I get the non means tested carer's support grant (1850 per year for providing full time care) and the DSP interrogated me over my eligibility for that. The application form that I completed and signed as factual and the medical report from the GP obviously wasn't good enough for them, I had to attend an interview and explain in person the basics of caring to an inspector who clearly didn't have a notion.

Also, getting the cost of living increase out of them was like getting blood out of a stone. Very poor service, people not ringing me back while others wanted to waffle on the phone "ah aren't you great being a carer" with others wanting to know how much savings I had as they were incredulous that I didn't pass the means test for Carer's Allowance. A highly unprofessional organisation/department IME and people who engage in actual social welfare fraud would run rings around them.

Lets hope this comes to fruition.......

“We are not only providing more funding, but Minister Humphreys also proposed establishing an Interdepartmental Working Group with the Department of Health to examine and review the entire system of means testing for carers payments. I personally hope this is the first step towards the future abolishment of the means test and a basic income for full-time carers.

from here

https://www.finegael.ie/budget-2024-recognises-the-important-role-of-carers-in-our-society-currie/

• Advertisement

She "proposed establishing a working group" - I'd say we'll be waiting at least 10 years for any change in that case. Universal basic income was introduced for artists - but the government knows that doing something similar for family carers looking after human beings is a different prospect entirely given how many of us there are. And why are there so many, because of the failings of this state when it comes to providing health and social care.

Hospitals are a shambles. Primary care is a shambles. Nursing homes are a shambles. Homecare is an even bigger unregulated shambles and "they" have been "talking" about regulating it for years. Heads of the Bill for homecare regulation were finally supposed to be ready by the end of 2023 - where are they. But but but the Great Financial Crisis. But but but COVID. But but but the influx of Ukrainian refugees.

Even when the Heads are ready, there will be more faffing about, more public consultations. Similar to the situation with carer's allowance means testing, the government, DOH and HSE know that homecare is a massive sh*tshow - and you can't regulate a sh*tshow while trying to pretend that it isn't a sh*tshow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

100% correct.

The patients being cared for are in most cases Irish born and bred people who have worked hard and paid taxes all thier lives, the people doing the job of caring for them are the most unselfish, kind and humble members of society. I personally know more than a few of them and I don't know how they cope with the stress.

Childrens allowance is not means tested, why in the name of God is the Carer's allowance means tested? It's a mickey mouse payment for a hugely responsible job that has no finishing time, it is literally a 24 hours a day 7 days a week job.

The absolute cheek of whoever thought it was a reasonable idea to conduct "reviews" after the carers have already passed a means test is astounding. They should be rewarding people who have been carers over a certain length of time not interogatting them.

How is it their or anyone elses business what any citizen spends their hard earned after tax money on? That's an invasion of privacy and should be brought to the attention of every politician in the country with the simple message to change it and change it quick.

The pen pusher that brought that policy in should get a high speed slap of a dirty adults nappy into the face, repeatedly.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mod Note: I understand that this is an emotive subject, I am a professional carer (nurse) and have also cared for family members. I also understand it is a full-time job and the carer deserves to be supported by the state.

However, there have been shades of comments here that seem to suggest that only Irish in this country face this unfair treatment.

It is entirely unconnected to the debate, and any such overtones will be dealt with, as per Boards.ie charter.

I know this thread isn't about homecare or the health service generally but I think it is still on topic. The situation with homecare and community care is a national scandal. As things are so bad, people are forced to take matters into their own hands i.e. give up work to care for relatives and become an unpaid amateur carer, nurse, GP, physio, OT, SLT etc. Then they get interrogated by the DSP over their carer's allowance of ~13k per year or in my case, the carer's support grant of 1850 per year.

Respite "care" is a disaster, people I know waited for ages and finally got respite in nursing homes a long distance from home. They came out after two weeks a stone lighter, dehydrated, depressed and with much poorer mobility than when they went in. Now it will take their carers weeks or months to build them back up again if it's even possible.

People also wait and wait and wait for homecare packages thinking that they will solve their problems to some extent. We have a homecare package (outsourced by the HSE to for profit private companies)and it costs the taxpayer a few hundred a week for a very limited, shambolic, unreliable service with often DANGEROUS "care" given by barely trained staff who can barely speak English. There are also many other problems such as rushing and timecard fraud to data protection (namedropping other clients and discussing their medical conditions which happens constantly)

I've made several complaints to both the provider and the HSE and have been fobbed off or ignored. I contacted Your Service Your Say and HSE safeguarding, both individuals I dealt with agreed that the situation was completely unacceptable, they contacted the people responsible and received "assurance" that they would improve - but given that this hasn't happened, seems like this was another foboff.

But nevermind all that - the important thing is that I prove my status as a carer by attending for interrogation at the DSP's offices (taking me away from my caring duties) for a miserable payment of 1850 per year.

Advertisement