Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company not confirming or rejecting vacation - Mod warning post #51

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Tell him it’s already paid for ..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thefa

"There will be a lot of changes you don't like"

Take it people skills weren’t why he was hired.

Yeah, I’d be looking to escalate it if you’ve tried him a couple of times to no avail.

Fair enough if the SOP’s don’t specify timelines but it is unfair that no expectation is being set for you. Add to that you’ve gone from a manager with quick approval.

Keep the pressure on until you get some clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Monday was a public holiday, do you mean Tuesday? If so, its been 3 days since you submitted the request.

Look, I think you need to relax a little bit. I wouldn't be looking to "escalate" this yet. It sounds like you're already getting off on the wrong foot with this new Manager.

Like has been said, there are probably staff not back Christmas holidays yet. Give him some time to get his feet back under the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Don't know whether to laugh or cry at this thread. Thought a certain mod was definitely trolling, the replies were so backward, to the point the other Mods were summoned for backup😁. I always thought a shared calendar file for the team to input their leave was the most straightforward approach. Any conflicts can be resolved if there is advance notice.

Never had a problem with booking leave until my current employer told me to use all my leave in the one go so I wouldn't be looking for time off later. Completely unnecessary and needless to say that left a sting and I'm ready to move on.

Perfectly reasonable for the OP to escalate if he’s tried the manager a couple of times and has no clarity on the process.

A number of posts have strayed from this but that’s the crux here, particularly because it’s a step change from the previous manager and affects things like cost and planning. Dismissing this is lacking empathy.

Based on the info provided, the management style (vague and a bit petty) seem to be a big contributor to the bad start.

• Advertisement

Escalate to whom?

Sorry, I don't agree it's reasonable to "escalate" at this point.

If he still hasn't had a response by next Friday, then follow up with him.

There have only been 4 working days so far in the New Year, and he's already tried "a couple of times". That would irritate anyone.

Clearly putting pressuring his new boss for an answer is not going in his favour here, and its nothing to do with lacking empathy, either.

First come first served, is not always the fairest way of doing things.

We all have encountered the type of people who try to hog certain dates every year. (Not saying the OP is doing this).

I don't know the reason why the OP's new manager has not approved his leave request to date.

But he must have his reasons, and maybe its because he is a dick, or maybe its because he wants to get an overall picture, first.

Escalate to HR for guidance on what the policy is and this could give the manager a push.

I already suggested a follow up chat in person with him in one of the first posts of the thread and escalate after he’s tried talking to him a couple of times in a more recent post. I haven’t seen the part where the OP says he’s already tried a couple of times. The post from the 4th seems to be the first attempt.

Yes it’s clearly lacking empathy to suggest the OP should just wait an undefined time before knowing, which is completely different to how it was managed previously.

There’s a naivety in suggesting that this manager couldn’t manage the situation better for reasons such as the recent new year. The OP has stated they have 15 years experience and are coming from a different part of the same organization. The manager can’t tell what the timeline & process is but has added a petty comment.

You must have missed the Ops follow up post then. when they said they had that chat with the manager already

And also where they stated that the company's standard operating procedures do not give a timeframe for approving or denying leave requests.

I already saw the post and have referenced some detail from it even in the last response to you and the SOP’s in a different post last night.

The OP put in the request Monday (sounds like a system), posted Thursday night after talking to the manager and then gave more detail Friday lunchtime. Doesn’t sound like it’s been discussed more than once but the OP can clarify.

I do agree with the OP that they should try to keep some pressure on. It’s too up in the the air at the moment after going from immediate approval.

It would be interesting to know how the manager handles more imminent approvals.

If you already knew what the SOPs said, why would you encourage the OP to escalate to HR?

It doesn't matter what the old manager did, and going in hot and telling the new manager how an old manager did it is not going to get the OP anything, except a pissed off new manager.

If you think that's good advice to give him, then fire away.

The majority on the thread seem to think it is not unreasonable that the OP have to wait a bit for approval.

OP, I do hope your leave is approved. You just need to have a bit of patience.

• Advertisement

The SOP’s not defining a timeframe is not the same as there being no guidance available. Sounds like a relatively big organisation and I would be surprised if there is nothing there in terms of best practice or training. SOP’s do not cover every possibility and may even be kept vague where suits.

Of course it is relevant what the old manager done regardless of vagueness of the SOP’s. It wasn’t communicated that this was changing until the request. The OP is a manager themself and is likely in a situation to make a fair call on the reasonableness from their experience.

The responses have been mixed on next actions for the OP from what I read but the quantity and quality is something for the OP to take onboard. I suppose it’s clear people can take their own interpretations of the posts. People have different experiences and advice while only the OP knows the situation best.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

How much patience should the OP have? The manager has already said that they are waiting for everyone to submit their holiday requests. If they are going with this policy, then they need to be more communicative about the paremeters regarding such a policy. E.g. is there a deadline for requests to be submitted? Has this deadline been communicated to staff yet? How long after the deadline until requests are approved/denied? It doesn't sound like anything like that has happened. Is the OP expected to wait a month? Two? What if they need to take time off end the end of January?

First come first served is the only equitable way to go about things. IF there are periods where staff are competing for holiday spots then the company can introduce a policy such that requests for that specific period cannot be approved in this way to ensure a fair allocation. Considering the OP hasn't mentioned anything like this, and the fact this does not to appear to have been the case with the OP's previous manager I can only assume this is not the case.

In my mind it's very simple, the OP has asked for x days off. The manager need only look at staff availabilty for those days, and if the number available is equal to or greater than the number required, then the request should be approved. In my opinion there needs to be a damn good reason why this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭well24

Ya mean jim2007 squarepants :) oh yeah what a xxxxxx, I got a warning so I'll let everyone else fill that in.. the mod who gave me the warning just gave up, he coudnt handle it.. your right tho..he must have been trolling, wonder did he get a warning for this?

I have never come across such difficulty / overthinking / convoluted criteria for booking leave, it is so obvious how to do it, like the more reasonable posters above, just simple first come first serve..

In the OP's case, appears the manager is just being a knob / difficult, you'll meet all kinds through your working life... I would say 3 - 4 days is a very reasonable amount of time to gets hols approved, if not followup, then 1 - 2 days go to HR to clarify holiday approval process..

The ould mods ganging up again, got a msg from jim2007 aswell :) Can someone please explain the warning?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:

@well24 you've been given plenty of chances now to up your posting standards to meet the requirements of the forum; since you failed to do so you are now thread banned. That means if you post in this thread again I'll ban you from the whole forum instead. If you got questions about it you can PM me about it.

Knock yourself out... lol still no explanation, if you get a cheap thrill out it go for it!!

Not the only one posting about mods ganging up..

Mod: User has been forum banned; please don't adress any further replies to the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Squatman

in summary, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Squatman

OMG karens and kens will be disgusted that @Jim2007 was so right. Kudos Jimothy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

…….

Advertisement