Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to improve consistency in rugby officiating

Options
  • 01-01-2024 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭

I have been wondering if there is any way to improve the consistency of officiating in rugby at high/elite levels.

First up, This is not an attack on referees as individuals, they have an awful job to do,with players nearly being as good as bending the rules as any other part of the game, the speed of the game, and blocked sight lines. However, there is a team of several officials in elite and high level games who should be able to get things consistent within the game and across games. Obviously on the side of a mountain with a branch ref and club touch judges, nothing can be done with just a single person, hence why I said certain levels.

Secondly, this isn't to claim that with consistent officiating Leinster would have beaten Ulster in the game today, New year's Day, 2024. Leinster had several big errors in the closing minutes that could have won the game for them. I just use examples that are fresh in my head.

Enough preamble, what am I talking about? Once in the game, Baird is penalised for playing the ball on the ground, correctly. Another time in the game the ref penalises, I think, O'Brien for tackling a player on the ground. Correct again. Towards the end of the game, McCarthy is tackled, while on the ground, by a player on the ground, about 60 mins on the game clock, after his block down. And nothing. No advantage or a word from the officials, for what could potentially be a yellow card and penalty try offence. (My understanding is that when a penalty occurs the offending player is considered removed from the game and they look at what would have happened Without them. Given the distance to the line, no other defenders around, a probable try would have been scored. And cynical so yellow.)

Should we accept this kind of inconsistency given the amount of people involved in officiating the game and technology, or look at improving it?

Obviously asking the question I would prefer better levels of consistency, but I have no idea how to go about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

1. Get rid of the 'jackal' type competition at rucks. Go back to the old rules that the ball can only be turned over at a ruck by driving past the ball. Will help limit injuries like the Dan Leavy one and the one on JOD today for Munster.

2. Stop the incessant coaching. Warn the players once in a match and then penalise. One warning is enough.

3. Limit scrum infringements to a free kick. Penalty only on the 3rd successive scrum offense. Too many shenanigans going on in scrums to try to milk penalties from the officials. Scrums are about shoving the opposition off the ball.

4. Bring back a straight feed at scrums so the primary purpose of the scrums for the defensive team is to hook against the head or push the other team off their ball.

5. Hopefully item 1 above will allow for policing of the offside line more closely. The referees can't do that effectively because each ruck is such a mess with so many hands vying for the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Oh sweet Christ. Leinster lose to Ulster and we need new officiating laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

And what of the multiple advantages leinster got from incidents the ref missed or didn't penalise. I'm sure ulster posters here could easily argue about multiple incidents that leinster were not penalised or that they should have got a penalty when they didn't. That's part of the game.

Your idea of when a penalty try is awarded is incorrect.

Hoe would you improve the officiating or laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

No not necessarily. We need consistent implementation of the laws. If they can't be implemented consistently in one game, never mind across games, then maybe.

Should I have written this as a draft and saved it until the next time Leinster beat Ulster? Ulster deserved to win today. If Leinster had not made those two kicking mistakes and awful defense from CF they could won. But the inconsistency in officiating is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"thats part of the game" when referring to referee mistakes is kinda a cop out tbh.

What exactly is wrong with a thread that hopes to remove such mistakes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Jesus Christ.

Because you won't remove them. It's impossible to keep every single incident reffed exactly as the Laws intend.

We have a laws thread already. We have a general rugby thread. The op could easily have went into either of those.

Laws thread is for questions about the laws and the general thread is too general. This seems a specific thread on what could/should be changed in the game to either make it easier to referee or change how referring happens.

Hell, maybe we should have 2 referees who are each looking after specific laws.

The Laws thread has always been about discussion of laws and there application as well.

Unfortunately there is application of laws and consistency of application. Crooked feed into a scrum is not applied, and this is mostly consistent. Except for random one off circumstances like Japan losing to, I believe Scotland, in their world cup.

• Advertisement

How is it applied?

I don't know, that is why I was looking to see what the good folks of boards might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Leinster basically specialize in playing just over the line and honestly straight up shenanigans in the scrum, and then after every loss its the ref’s fault .

Honestly a tad pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Sad reality of rugby these days, every team’s fans complain about the referee after a loss. Amplified by the echo chamber of social media where ‘analytical’ fan accounts show selected clips to push the narrative.

Has been like that for years although seems to have become even more notable with Rassie’s antics during the Lions tour. Has created a toxic atmosphere on line around the game.

Ffs. Do I need to go through several matches to show inconsistency? Or maybe it is just me that prefers consistency in a game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Maybe time it better.

Consistent application of every law isn't going to happen. Because you won't have it. You have to look at temperature of games, context of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

No one cares mate, ye lost, get over it.

All the players are having a few pints and a bit of banter together, Christmas times.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Ulster deserved to win. Great start to go 12 0 up, less mistakes than Leinster, and didn't have to force things like Leinster did towards the end. A minute or so after the incident Leinster scored a converted try. This isn't about the winning or losing of the game tonight but rugby in general

I'd say every team does, which makes officiating so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I guess in fairness to leinster fans, when they lose they tend to lose narrowly. So, i can see concentrating on decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Munster lose a player to injury = ban the jackal

Leinster lose to Ulster = officiating itself should be upended

Not only have we managed to beat Leinster in Dublin but we've managed to score an impressive moral victory this week. Spooky stuff happening this year.

Mods, please lock the thread, the majority don't see any issues with officiating and want to keep the status quo.

We're literally half-day through the season and you start a thread on this after you lose at home. On the last game of the first half of the season.

Why did you wait until now, if it was a general, league-wide observation?

Well I guess at least you are not hiding your bias I suppose.

Any chance you could take the thread topic on merit, or it not, just dont bother to post? Honestly, whats the point?

I'll address it.

Murphy Is a poor ref both teams will have dreaded. I thought he was consistent during the game, if frustrating. Same as Busby earlier, who penalised both team for the same things that annoyed him.

I think the fact that it has been posted after Leinster's first loss at home, means the wish to "improve the consistency of officiating in rugby at high/elite levels" rings hollow.

Why now? Why is this oh-so-admirable desire to sort out officiating only raising it's head after a whole half a season? Is this the first game where poor decisions have been evident? Obviously not, given what the poster says. Did they post this after any egregious decisions in any other game? No. Don't know why. It's only been worth paying attention to now.

I thought about starting it after the world cup, when I was constantly bemused by decisions in games, a concrete example being head contact. From the eng v arg game where it looked like a harsh red card and other games where, what looked like similar collisions, resulted in less severe penalties. Or other games where I thought things weren't officiated consistently. The final where etzebeth had a lazy run back inside near his own line which could have been dealt with harsher given other cynical offences in other games across competitions. But it is difficult to grab samples from random games and compare, as I don't have the time to revisit hours of games.

Tonight, however, was, what I thought, a clear example of inconsistent officiating. Not a case of a split second were they or weren't they supporting their own body weight when jackling. Was there half a boot over the offside line? Which prop popped up first? And given the game is fresh in memories I thought it would be a good, concrete example of inconsistencies to look at ways of improving officiating and hence the game. The game should be won by the best 23 players (tonight was Ulster) not by any other reason .

So you didn't. Until Leinster lost.

Sounds telling to me.

I know, the first loss that Leinster have had in all the time I have been on boards is when I decide to ask this question.

You got me.

Okay. Not sure where you're going with this. Still, posting this after a Leinster loss in no way makes it look like bitter whining.

• Advertisement

I know - there's multiple moments when you could have posted such concerns - like your RWC example - but didn't care enough to.

Now you do care enough. It's suddenly very important.

Okay.

Advertisement