Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭visatorro

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭golodge

Thank you.

Currently use different origin bulls, but France, Belgium, Netherlands and UK mostly. Looking up at their data there. Looking for good growth, good shape, good maternal traits, etc. Do have some bulls, which are not so suitable for replacements, so using on those cows, which won't have any daughters left from them. Don't run after very easy calvings though.

My country is far behind with whole cattle judging, so I really doubt. Last year it was the first time when I actually saw something more serious at a local fair and it was done by the french judge.

This one was a close call. Cow wasn't showing signs of labor, but had abit of membrane hanging out. Checked, she was fully dilated, but calf was far down and backward. Thankfully everything ended well.

Culard sired bull calf, out of limxcharx cow, 63kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Those feet look huge, but the cow does have a great shape to her hips. 63Kg is a fair size calf. Well done on getting it out alive.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Her 4th calf. Last year she had a blue sired bull calf, 64,5kg... She just grows them that big... Going to used sexed female semen on her this year. Her first and only heifer was below 45kg, then next bull calf was somewhere around 50-55kg, unassisted. She adds big bones and big frame. Culard actually took off abit of thickness of bones from the calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Down here in kerry, can't be gotten since summer, well the 2 lads I use couldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Check out the Beef AI bulls thread. Lots of good info there. It should be recent enough if you scroll down the recent discussions

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See enfer have increased cost of testing by 35c per sample

Posted genotype and bvd samples last Friday. Got bvd results yesterday. Genomic sample haven't even been received yet in icbf....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Katie 2018

Have 3day old lim calf no interest in sucking cow unless I help it.cow not kicking or anything. Seems to be stupid. Once you get it to start feeding it goes to town on cow.calf in good form just seems too lazy to look for a feed

• Advertisement

Maybe don’t let him stuff himself so much on a feed that he will have a hunger about him come the night feed.

also a vitamin shot is good. The vets around here give them out at the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭kefflin

Does anyone use precision microbes on calfs. Been popping up in my advertisements lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Unidentified user

Used it last year on one group of 10 calves. There was a noticeable difference in them from the groups ahead and after them. Really see a difference in them now at 9 and 10 months. Don't know the science behind it but I'll be using it again this year and next year on one group of calves just to see if the results are consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I’d leave him be for a little while. Hunger is great sauce. Have you a calving camera to keep an eye is he sucking himself when you’re not around?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Katie 2018

Yeh be watching it on camera. Same last night once put cow in calving gate calf went over an cleaned a quarter out.cow not kicking it or anything. Must just like having me stand watching it feed 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

First calf just landed . A week early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭limo_100

I see Brennan's are advertising a gut guard liquid is that similar stuff to this product? has charcoal in it

I’ve a suckler cow showing signs of springing in the back quarter this morning. She’s about 245 days in calf. She would be milky but is this a bit too soon. Should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Could she have a touch of mastitis, you could check the quarter to see if it’s hard.

She was tubed and sealed. Reminds me of the hardness you feel when they are springing but I’ll check her again. Wouldn’t like to be pulling the teat either if she was springing. Unless it’s twins and she’s preparing already!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Any chance there’s another calf getting in to suck her?

Heifer calving in cubicles this morning. Had 5 other calves born since 5pm yesterday. Big calf. Got him out alive. Pulled her out of the cubicle with a halter and the concrete is grooved in the passageway. She got up herself a bit later but one of the legs is dodgy. No grip to get up on the mat

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Picking Dasies

Hi lads,

Recommendation for a good calving JACK please?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We have one like the one in the link and thankfully it's seldom used. We have a mixed suckler herd of SH, SHx, AAx, HEx and various continental breeds along with the odd bought in FR/FRx cull cow that turns up in calf. The square shaft jacks don't slip like the round ones do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭endainoz

First one arrived last week, pic taken a day and a half old so hopefully no dairy oligarchs give me sh1t for not having her tagged yet. Serious colours though, poly hfr out of a Droimeann cow and shorthorn bull.

That's a lovely calf

Had a AAx second calver calf the other day our first calf for 2024. She had a SHx bull calf, unassisted and thankfully the calf got up and sucked on his own accord cause she is a bitch. I bought her as a yearling heifer amongst a bunch of feeder heifers and decided to keep her as she was long and growthy. Last year she was a pet after calving but this year she's a pure cnut. I presume she will settle down as the calf gets older but once the calf is weaned I will head her to the finishing shed.

My second calver PBR Shorthorn calved a few hours ago - heifer calf, unassisted and like last year she is chilled out when I was handling the calf. The one downside of traditional breeds is that their two front teats can get very large which is something that the dairy breeds have managed to breed out over time. This lady has a big dug on her near side and her offside one isn't far behind. Anyway I got the calf sucking outta both front teats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Do you sell the SHX bulls as weanlings or bring to finish

We finish the heifers and bulls. Occasionally sell the odd pbnr bull/heifer to farmers around the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Forgot about the thread- first photo is BB8238 heifer off a LM cow.

second I think a LM bull calf off a LMxSpeckle park cow. Not certain of straw used as AI man forgot to log it. I had texted asking for a LM- think it might be LM4184

Advertisement