Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I don’t really. I feel sorry for some of them. They were young and vibrant and carefree once, but then became everything they feared - narky, contrarian, jealous, giving out about modern music, social changes, young people, people who are more successful in life than they are.

As I said the middle-aged depressed hate-listener is something I made up. I’m sure the majority of hate-listeners are perfectly normal people. Just with a weird hobby. Like trainspotting or those dudes who park their car up at the airport to watch planes land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭GSF

Your hobbies are equally weird- you could be out enjoying yourself rather than monitoring all these posts 😉

I monitor and measure my web browsing activity - less than 60 minutes per day in average. This is one of the sites/threads I love to visit. Tremendous fun. In a world where there is so much anger and bitterness it’s good to have a bit of a crazy house. Mad theories, posters supposedly being paid, Tubs not being paid, Noel Kelly, hate listeners etc. Top class

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Tubridy is definitely being paid. Whether in legal tender or jelly beans, we cannot be sure, however.

it’s the complete swerve in Virgins output that is what intrigues me. 10-1pm is now a super competitive slot, the new breakfast slot given the changes in working patterns. With GHR, radio 2 and others really tailoring their programming it’s just ultra weird that Virgin are having a guy talking about Dolphins Barn and mainly taking callers from a different country as their pitch in that slot. And then they swerve back in the opposite direction at 1pm.

I’m sure you saw the News U.K. financials released this week so you know how tight their money issues are now. If they are doing random experiments in their key slots on their radio stations then something is going on. Time will tell but it defies the norms of the radio industry in the U.K. what they are playing at right now

• Advertisement

In fairness, I’d trust the expertise of News UK management and producers over someone with no experience of the industry. They liked the Tubridy product and picked it up. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Reading between the lines of posts on this thread, he is living rent free in an apartment stocked with all the cornflakes you can eat. And a topped up Oyster card. All the coffee you can drink in the VM canteen. Sorted.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭yagan

takes a lot to produce several hundred million of losses across a variety of radio tv and newspapers. If that’s your level of blind faith I not sure you know much about anything.

Given their incompetence with the half billion payouts for phone hacking and sinking close to £100m on a dead loss tv channel you might be right in thinking that Tubridy was a similar wise investment 😂😂😂

The media landscape is certainly challenging but industry professionals decided that Tubridy was the right man for their morning show. He didn’t write them a letter asking for work experience - he was interviewed, sound checked, probably focus groups. These guys aren’t some DJ playing Dire Straits on 500 Listener FM at 2am on a Tuesday.

• Advertisement

that’s just blather in fairness. You obviously have never listened to any U.K. radio. Just repeating that you trust the management is just a bit cultish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"DJ playing Dire Straits"

Whatever Tubs is being paid could be described as Money for Nothing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hey big fella, how come that on a Radio discussion forum you belt on about the posters and yet you say you don't listen to RT's show?

It's not a discussion group about people who post on Radio discussions. It's about Radio and Broadcasters.

You've one of the highest post counts on this thread. You even post from a **** restaurant. You even post telling the thread you're going to a restaurant. On a thread about Ryan Tubridy - a broadcaster you don't listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

Easy when NKM and paddy power are willing to subsidise virgin radio's risk to play a part in Ryan's redemption arc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

tubs getting the 10-1 slot on Virgin was essentially Virgin completely admitting defeat/not even wanting to compete on the slot. And based on that they simply wanted the lowest cost filler they could find.

Tubs is their patsy. 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭TheBMG

In fairness he didn’t pick the **** restaurant; Noel did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

VM took a calculated risk by hiring someone with name recognition, regardless of his presenting skills. It could also be a strategic move by Ryan and NK to rebuild his public image with the Irish audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

That train has sailed.

If he cared about that he would have instantly paid back the €150,000 he owes the Irish people.

He’ll never be allowed to forget and he’ll never be forgiven for saying one thing but doing another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭HBC08

He's also a middle aged man himself.

Its a self hating projection thing.

Entertaining for a while then a bit tedious and finally a bit weird was how it went for me.

I engaged with him (through across all his usernames,he changes them about every 18 months ) but now have him on ignore.

I haven't listened to one second of Tubridy on Virgin but I enjoy this thread.It is annoying when you see a few new posts on here and then when you click into them it's one poster posting the exact same thing.

Anyway,he seems to be on high doe the last few days.The pattern for this is as follows

Meltdown

Ban

Rereg.

Strange existence but hey ho.

Great to see a guy with a high profile launch a podcast about a passion of his. Wishing him the very best of luck with it. I’ve a bibliophile myself, so will be adding this to my podcast feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭swine

The big podcast?

“I’ve got a podcast and it’s about, you’ve guessed it, books,” he says in a video shared on social media, describing how the interview format with international guests from the worlds of music, television, literature and sport will take place.

“The guest comes along with three books from their very own bookshelf: the book from their childhood, the book that made them cry, and the book that changed their life. Over the course of a conversation, we’ll have a chat about the people and their lives through the prism of these three beautiful, important books.

He adds: "The world of reading is rarely dull and lends itself to the most
    intriguing conversations, of which I've had many putting season one together. The first of these conversations drops on Tuesday. I can't wait to share it with you.”

Guessing Vogue is a guest on this, rather than them doing something together.

Tubridy will also offer his pick for ‘Ryan Recommends’, a segment where he shares a book he has enjoyed in recent weeks and months.

Bonkers!

The Bookshelf with Ryan Tubridy will be available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and all major audio platforms and to watch on YouTube.

Hate listening (and watching!) available from next week.

Any books over 400 pages?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭jmcc

Has Tubridy returned to Virgin Radio after his break or is this podcast meant to replace his radio show?

Regards…jmcc

The Bookshelf with Ryan Tubridy will be sponsored by Easons and will be in addition to his show on Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭hawley

“This has been a passion project of mine for a couple of years now but I could never quite find enough time to put it all together," Tubridy says.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-41372065.html

He was finished at ten o'clock in the morning for the last ten years. Apparently he didn't have enough time to record an hour long interview outside this.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tinter Box

Ah now, he will have to have read a book a week at least. Hence the need to knock the radio show on the head 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭mountain

you know what,

Good luck to him, he has tried to reinvent himself, he had a cushy number in RTE, he is now working in the private sector, and is making an effort

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Can’t say anything at the moment but been hearing rumours on the Dublin media grapevine that Ryan has some “big hitters” lined up for this.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

He’s not knocking it on the head. The podcast is in addition to the radio show. You can’t keep a vivacious go getter like The Tubmeister down for long.A glass half full sort of chap it seems.

• Advertisement

Is that like they announce "big hitters" on rte for one of their celebfests variety shows, and it just turns out to be the usual suspects from the canteen?

Advertisement