Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Date RTÉ Radio 1

Options
  • 30-12-2023 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭

This show can be hit or miss when it comes to good tunes on the radio Friday and Saturday nights. Unfortunately when it's presented by the main host, a certain Fiachna Ó Braonain, him of the Hothouse Flowers, I have to say his music choices in the main are awful middle of the road stuff. It seems as if he's giving some of his local musician mates a leg up by playing them on the radio but 90% if it is just so dull.

On the odd night we get a replacement host, the quality goes right up, especially when Ray Cuddihy, Nadine O'Regan or Cathal Murray are on the decks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭morphy87

Late Date it was a show I used to really like, my favourite presenter was Alf Mcarthy, I thought he played great music which really suited the hour of the night and I thought it was a better format when the book on one used to start immediately after the news compared to now it starts at 11.25

Lilian smith was also a great host at the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lucalux

Cathal Murray has been consistently great on Late Date imo

Lovely manner, voice, interesting playlists and tempo to the show he does

I very much agree that the show with Fiachna is a different thing, and I completely think the same thing about the 'mates of mine' thingy. He seems to be always blowing his own trumpet somehow and thus irritates me, but mainly I don't listen to his nights because the music tends towards boring for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Jizique

Cathal is excellent, used to fall asleep to it midweek but now listen to it on headphones on the Web the next days; as said, FOB is horrifically self-indulgent, you would know he has strong family connections in RTE - even when he fills,in for Creedon on his absences, the shows are dull

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

FOB has family connections in RTE? That would explain a lot. Who are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭RINO87

Got to say I agree with all here. Cathal is fantastic, as is Ray when he stands in, always has an interesting selection. Have not heard much of Nadine.

Fiachna is absolutely insufferable...as was said it just seems like you are gatecrashing a party of him and a few of his mates all blowing smoke up each others holes. This carries over to when he fills in for Creedon. The same bunch of people all texting in and chatting to each other via a radio show. Same music, same people....

On that note, he must have internal connections. In what other world would an active touring musician, who mostly works weekends with his main job, be given a weekend night time radio slot??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lucalux

In the interest of fairness.. Cathal Murray is the nephew of the late RTE presenter Colm Murray

It's RTE, par for the course but I don't think that's an issue in and of itself. Some people are insufferable with or without family connections in life

FOB is just both, connected and an absolute bore to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Jizique

as gaeilge, ach "ag obair lu cúrsaí riaracháin" means he was the accountant so must know where plenty of bodies were buried

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Alf McCarthy, an RTE employee was forced to retire at 65.

On the other hand, FO'B, the son of another RTE employee, who presumably was also forced to retire at 65 at least 25 years ago, was able to use that family connection to hold on to his Late Date role. Now that his father has died will FO'B's contract be terminated? After all there must be many offspring of people currently working in RTE who would covet the Late Date gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭morphy87

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gluppers

When I hear "New Irish music" I run a mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gluppers

Heard a bit of Leftfield last night on Late Date last night while out in the car. Fair play Cathal. Always a good mix guaranteed

Advertisement