Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2024 Edition!)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Final fantasy 16 - PS5

Guardians of the galaxy telltale - PS4

Dead Space - Xbox series S

Tomb raider 1 - PS5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME: Borderlands

Platform: PC

Decided to dive into the Enhanced GOTY version on Steam. Always played these games for years on and off but never thought to go ahead and beat them.

I was surprised to learn that this game isn't even that long. It took me about 26 hours to beat the main quest, and that was while I was tackling side missions in between. Very straight-forward, and despite being semi-open-world, it felt incredibly linear.

My biggest complaint was despite the fact there are tons of weapons in the game, they all didn't differ too much apart from elementals.

Another complaint I had was the missions were very samey; "Go here, collect these weapon parts, return" - "Go here, repair this Claptrap, return" - "Go here, kill these enemies, return" - "Go here, destroy this structure, return"

Not saying I didn't enjoy my time, I had a blast, but I felt like I was blindly playing it at times - didn't feel engaging at all - I guess that's what it's like playing a looter shooter like this. I probably expected too much. I'm not gonna bother with the DLC, I think I've had my fill of the original game. I wanna dive into Borderlands 2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Luna84

Play the DLC as they are great. I loved the Borderlands series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Megaman V (GB)
    2. Liberation Maiden (3DS)
    3. The Starship Damrey (3DS)
    4. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch)
    5. Doom Eternal (PC)
    6. System Shock (2023)
    7. Weapon Shop de Omasse (3DS)
    8. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
    9. Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways (PC)
    10. Princess Maker Refine (PC)
    11. Metal Slug 1st Mission (Neo Geo Pocket Colour)
    12. Metroid Prime Remaster (Switch)

Metal Slug 1st Mission

Got the new adapter set for the Analogue Pocket so I've been exploring the Neo Geo Pocket library. The NGPC was only out for a couple of months but it left behind a pretty big library of some exceptional games. Metal Slug 1st Mission is a wonderful portable take on the Metal Slug games. The NGPC was never going to recreate the craziness on the arcade game so the developers cleverly crafted a platformer which suited the portable nature of the game. There's 16 stages of run and gun action but you don't progress through them linearly. Instead you can jump to different missions by finding alternative routes through them. Failing some stages also doesn't lead to a game over but an alternative prison stage were you have to avoid traps and are only equipped with a knife. These can also lead to alternative routes.

The game looks amazing, the backgrounds look great and the enemy troops are really well animated and have the personality of the arcade games cannon fodder. There's some massive bosses to tackle. There's a lot of variety in the levels with linear stages interspersed with some fun maze stages and a few vehicle and mini game stages. The sound is a little bit of a let down with the 8-bit renditions of the arcade tunes sounding only ok.

It's a wonderful little handheld game and the only bad thing I can say against it is that the sequel is even better.

Metroid Prime Remaster

Wonderful remaster of a game that still really holds up in this day and age. The modern controls translate to the game perfectly and the updated graphics look incredible while staying true to the original's art design. It looks so good I'm surprised that it runs at a rock solid 60 FPS. It's a fantastic way to experience one of the best games of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Metroid Prime Remastered -Switch
    2. Baldurs Gate 3-PS5
    3. Tekken 8-PS5
    4. Spiderman 2 -PS5

Spiderman 2

Platinumed this so did everything there was to do, really enjoyed it and enjoyed switching between Miles and Peter. Felt like at times there was

Too many villians it felt a bit overcrowded rather than a focal point of a villian with Marko, Kraven the hunter and then Venom. But other than that was a really good time and it never gets old swinging through the city

Just start ff7 rebirth and only scratched the surface on chapter 2 feel like this might be another 80 hours gone but enjoying it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Megaman V (GB)
    5. Doom Eternal (PC)
    6. System Shock (2023)
    13. Valkyria Chronicles 3 (PSP)

Valkyria Chronicles 3

Valkyria Chronicles 3 is a great example of too much of a good thing.

VC3 takes the already great combat of VC2 and refines it further with much better mission design and rebalanced classes. The excellent combat of Valkyria Chronicles has never been better than it is here.

The new story goes back to the event of VC1 with a story parallel to militia squad 7 from VC1. This time it follows a penal unit whose missions and actions have been stricken from official records, think the dirty dozen. It should be an interesting set up but it kind of makes no sense in relation to the events of VC1 and gets bogged down in anime nonsense very quickly. Don't expect the simple well told tale from VC1. Theres also two love interests to decide over and zero chemistry between them. Definitely not a patch on the adorable Welkin and Alicia.

The main issue is that it pulls a FF7 Remake. It's a 30 hour game stretched thin over 80 hours. There's story reason that there's so many missions in the game. VC1 was a relatively brisk SRPG. You'll fight over the same battlefields multiple times. A much better implementation would be a shorter campaign and a more post game content. It's shame that such a good game is slightly tarnished by an easily fixable issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Final fantasy 16 - PS5

Guardians of the galaxy telltale - PS4

Dead Space - Xbox series S

Tomb raider 1 - PS5

Tomb raider 2 - PS5

1. Megaman V (GB)
    5. Doom Eternal (PC)
    6. System Shock (2023)
    14. Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley

Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley

Snufkin is quite a short game and one that is aimed at kids, although I quite enjoyed how relaxing it is. You control Snufkin as he searches for his friend Moomintroll and meet many characters from the moomin universe. It's quite a condensed open world game with a decent number of side quests scattered around. The game in the action sections is a stealth game where you sneak around parks avoiding the police and vandalising them. There's a message running through the game about how man made scenery just can't match nature.

It's a charming game with a relaxed atmosphere and music. It has a nice papercraft look to the game. There's not a lot challenge people experienced with games but kids would love this. I was a little disappointed that Sigur Ros's involvement only extended to an opening and end credits song but they're both gorgeous music tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Might as well start off my list.

1. Hogwarts Legacy. Really enjoyed this and I'm not even a Pothead (that's what the fans are called right?) Large open world to explore. The sidequest regarding the cursed sister was very good, main quest not so much.
    2. Assassin's Creed Mirage. Bit of a bog standard Assassin's Creed compared to the last few. A part of me is glad it didn't drag on for 100 hours like Valhalla
    3. A little to the left. Should have been called OCD the game LOL! You fix crooked things, put things in the correct order etc. strangely satisfying
    4. Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Fantastic game. The trippy wonder flower parts are great. It reminded me of Super Mario World with the hidden exits in levels to a secret world. Some of the special world levels are insane I don't have the patience for that anymore!

1. Megaman V (GB)
    5. Doom Eternal (PC)
    6. System Shock (2023)
    14. Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley
    15. Elite Beat Agents (DS)

Elite Beat Agents

EBA might be the best rhythm action game of all time. In fact I can safely say it's one of the all time great videogames. I already knew I'd enjoy the game going into it. EBA was created by Nintendo as an English language version of the Japanese only DS game Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!. Ouendan was a rhythm action game with Japanese pop songs that quickly became a massive import hit due to just how good the game was and how easy it was to understand and play without any Japanese. Nintendo tasked the developer Inis to take the same concept and add some well known English language songs to it. Unfortunately EBA didn't meet the sales success Nintendo had hoped for but it was a critical darling.

In Elite Beat Agents you play as a group of male cheerleaders (or female if you unlock the highest difficulty) who travel the globe (and through time) to help people in need through the medium of song and dance. The scenarios are pretty wild ranging from a girl baby sitting and looking of a break so she can ask her boyfriend out, helping Da Vinci paint the Mona Lisa, helping a peanut salesman stop a zombie outbreak to a full on alien invasion by music hating aliens. It's all presented in very attractive and often hilarious animated panels.

EBA is a pretty simple game. You basically use the touch screen to tap along to the music and score on how well you do. There's really only 3 inputs, tapping icons in order, following a rolling ball across the screen and spinning a giant spinner that usually punctuates each song. There's 15 scenarios and 16 songs with a further 3 songs unlocked as you increase your score total. It's pretty easy to get through the game in a few hours with not much difficulty on the initial two difficulties. This however is only training for the two unlockable difficulties. The game really ramps up the difficulty here but so does the satisfaction of getting through some very difficult challenges. The finale of Jumpin' Jack Flash on the hardest difficulties is one of the hardest videogame challenges I've managed to complete and I'd put the satisfaction of finally succeeding up there with putting down Mike Tyson in punchout.

EBA is quite simple a wonderful, wonderful game. There's very little difference from Ouendan other than the tracklist of more recognisable songs. It does make one very important QoL immprovement, the ability to skip the song intro. Anyone that tried to beat Ouendan's finale on the hardest difficulty will get PTSD of the unskippable 30 second intro to Ready Steady Go. If there's one small complaint it's that the tracks are all covers of varying quality rather than the original songs. While the tracklist has a lot of songs that wouldn't be my cup of tea, they all work brilliantly to complement the gameplay even the cheesy stuff.

I guess that's proof of why EBA is one of the best games of all time. It's so good that it gave me a venue where I unironically enjoyed Avril Lavigne's awful Sk8ter Boi. The Last of Us can't compete with that.

• Advertisement

Game || Metal Gear Solid

Platform || PlayStation 5

Hadnt beaten it in a good few years but, despite playing it so many times, I felt really dumb for a lot of it. Forgot where items were, forgot enemy placement and patterns, died a lot 😂.

I got this via the Master Collection when it launched but I wanted to wait til they patched the issues that were there, specifically the analog control scheme that wasn't implemented properly. Took them 4 months to fix it so I dove in a couple of weeks ago.

Arguably the best story in any PS1 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Dark Souls 1: What a beautifully constructed world that all links up. I did find it a bit easier compared to Elden Ring and Demon’s Souls though. The game still holds up very well today

Dark Souls 2: Contrary to what I heard from the community, I didn't find it disappointing or easy. I actually enjoyed it. While most bosses were manageable, the DLC ones gave me a run for my money. What caught me off guard were the regular enemies, who could easily overwhelm you with their range and persistence. I half expected them to follow me into Dark Souls 3

Have yet to try out the Suikoden games!
    I did hear they're working on a remaster of the first 2, though.

Yep they look gorgeous. I'm hoping they're good remakes and it means more people will get to play 2.

1. Megaman V (GB)
    5. Doom Eternal (PC)
    6. System Shock (2023)
    14. Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley (PC)
    15. Elite Beat Agents (DS)
    16. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Order of Ecclesia is the third and final Castlevania game on the DS. By this stage the team at Konami had perfected their craft with Aria of Sorrow on the GBA and were now trying to inject some variety into their Metroidvania formula.

Supposedly Order of Ecclesia is inspired by Simon's Quest but I feel it's more like a halfway point between traditional Vania and metroidvania. You select areas on a world map and unlock the next area in a linear fashion. Each area is kind of like its own micro-metroidvania. The more linear structure means that the enemies and bosses can be more easily tailored to the players power level at that point. As a result Order of Ecclesia is a far more challenging game than any of the other portable metroidvanias, which can be a bit of a cake walk. Expect to see the game over screen quite a bit.

The main character, Shanoa, uses a glyph system where she can absorb he power of some enemies after defeat to gain unique abilities. Other times she can absorb an enemies attack, gaining a new ability and cancelling the enemies attack. There's plenty of weapon and magic glyphs to play around with but I much rather the soul system of aria/dawn of sorrow.

I was initially put off by this game. Enemies and bosses feel like damage sponges, but once I realised there's an elaborate affinity system the game gets a lot more fun and it quickly became one of my favourite Castlevania games. Even if you miss the metroidvania gameplay, the last stage set in Dracula's castle is sprawling and feels more like the other portable Vanias.

It's a gorgeous looking game, one of the last great pixel art games from a big publisher, with stunning animation and nifty spell and 3D effects. Michiru Yamane returns to do the soundtrack, although she has some help here. It's sounds excellent.

This ould unfortunately be the last Castlevania game from Koji Igarashi and his team. Following this game they would be forced to make the I'll received multiplayer game Harmony of Dissonance from reused assets from their games (it reviewed poorly but it's actually a fantastic multiplayer game, especially on PS3 where is supports couch co-op). Fortunately he left and gave us the excellent Bloodstained.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

1. Starfield [Xbox]
    2. Somerville [Xbox]
    3. Planet of Lana [Xbox]
    4. Cocoon [Xbox]

Cocoon

Great game the puzzles aren't too difficult.

GAME || What Remains of Edith Finch

PLATFORM || PlayStation 5

Put this game off for so many years as I'm not the biggest fan of walking sims - maybe a few (I enjoyed Dear Esther and Firewatch) and I didn't think I was gonna last 10 minutes into it but the moment I got through the first chapter I was drawn in.

Great story, stunning visuals. Nothing much else to bring up.

It's only 2 hours & change, if you like narrative-focused non-combat games I'd give this a go. You'll know if you'll like it after a few minutes. I enjoyed it. Might go back and clean up some of the trophies I didn't get, which are all ridiculously doable. If you're even a trophy/achievement hunter, this is a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Metroid Prime Remastered -Switch
    2. Baldurs Gate 3-PS5
    3. Tekken 8-PS5
    4. Spiderman 2 -PS5
    5. Killer Frequency- Steam Deck

Killer Frequency

Enjoyable kind of walking simulator with a horror element liked the writing and the VA and was perfect for the SD.

Still plugging away with FF7 rebirth 34 hours in and nearly finished chapter 7. Other than that I have been tipping away at pentiment on SD and its very well written and as a former graduate of history its very interesting.

GAME || Gone Home

PLATFORM || Xbox Series X

I………..didn't really understand this game. I guess I was expecting something other than a simple exploration game. It seemed a bit scattered as well - didn't know if I was missing anything. It's a nice little short story I guess. But how it got so many glowing reviews, I'll never understand. Maybe this isn't my kind of game, I dunno.

It's like the game was selling me on the idea that it was gonna be a big mysterious plot, but it's nothing more than coming home to an empty house and finding out everyone isn't home for very normal reasons. Nothing shocking, nothing dramatic. You're literally just wandering an empty house until you get a key to the loft

Post edited by Gamer Bhoy 89 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Shiren The Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island

Not near done with this given its extremely robust, sprawling postgame that could take dozens and dozens of hours to play through if you wanted to. But having rolled credits for the first time a few days ago I definitely have strong thoughts on this one.

It's a masterpiece. A brilliant bit of pure design in action. I'm not familiar with the series lineage enough to say how much is new vs old, but this feels pared back and focused in the best possible way. Very little in the way of extraneous fluff: just super roguelike exploration and combat that adds welcome layers of discovery and possibility as you descend further down into the game's central dungeon.

The systems are delightfully rich and versatile. At first it's the sense of discovery that propels you - figuring out what everything does and how to be used most effectively (a feeling that continues beyond the early game thanks to the game's item naming system resetting every run, but one that can be overcome in smart ways as your knowledge of the game's items increases). Inventory management is a compelling tension, again with various ways to overcome the limits the game puts in front of you. Initially, even fighting a sword and shield to get past the first few floors can be a real hurdle to overcome. Status effects can be devastating if they hit you at the wrong moment.

But then you get better, and realise the depth of systems. Like the item synthesis system - introduced late in the main story dungeon. Either a specific monster or rare pot allows you to meld items into one. Initially, this might just give you the power boost you need to make it another few floors. But then you realise you can create crazy broken builds if you play your cards right - like rare swords that have a plethora of special effects and will carve through several types of enemies with an issue. It comes at a cost (throwing your main sword at a powerful enemy for a few turns is a risky manouvere) but the rewards can be game-changing. At first, it's a game of fighting through enemies with a limited toolset. Deeper in, it becomes a game of figuring out how to break through those limits.

It's a game where the fundamentals are pretty easy to understand - you move or attack, the monsters move or attack. The pleasures are in the rich variations on the basics, the vast number of ways you can exploit the systems and the vast number of ways the designers and RNG can **** your day up. Video game design in its most elegant, versatile and compelling form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

1. Hogwarts Legacy
    2. Assassin's Creed Mirage
    3. A little to the left
    4. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
    5. Botany Manor. Enjoyable puzzle game where you find bizarre ways of getting flowers to bloom based on clues you find. Had to google a couple of them to find out what to do next as some of them are fairly obscure.

1. Starfield [Xbox]
    2. Somerville [Xbox]
    3. Planet of Lana [Xbox]
    4. Cocoon [Xbox]
    5. Quantum Break [Xbox]

Quantum Break

Brilliant game and loved every minute of it. Boss fight at the end is challenging though but once you figure out to run at the right moment and shield yourself you can beat him.

Advertisement