Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2024 Edition!)

Options
  • 30-12-2023 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping I can improve in 2024. 2023 was a shambles for me.

Anyway, another year - another completion thread. You all know the drill.

Happy New Year Boardsies.

Commence Completion!

(Also, my list of games beaten in 2023 || Sad, isn't it?)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Final tally for 2023: 37

1. Sonic Frontiers (PC)
    2. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES)
    3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
    4. Aladdin (SNES)
    5. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PC)
    6. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped (PC)
    7. Deus Ex: Invisible War (PC)
    8. The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero (PC)
    9. Thief: Deadly Shadows (PC)
    10. The Firemen (SNES)
    11. Omaze (Playdate)
    12. Deception 4: Nightmare Princess (PS4)
    13. Deception 4: Nightmare Princess - Rachel Pack DLC (PS4)
    14. Battletoads (NES)
    15. Contra (MSX2)
    16. Super Mario Run (Android)
    17. Star Sled (Playdate)
    18. Run Saber (SNES)
    19. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch)
    20. Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intermission (PC)
    21. Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse (3DS)
    22. Parameters (Browser)
    23. Quake 2 (PC)
    24. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
    25. Astroboy: Omega Factor (GBA)
    26. Resident Evil 4 Remake (PC)
    27. Knightmare (MSX)
    28. Echo Night (PS1)
    29. Pushmo/Pullblox (3DS)
    30. Armored Core 6 (PC)
    31. Starfox (SNES)
    32. Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly (PS2)
    33. Bugs vs Tanks (3DS)
    34. Mister Mosquito (PS2)
    35. Beyond the Labyrinth (3DS)
    36. Pilotwings (SNES)
    37. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC)

Best game: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Honestly beating this game was one of the most rewarding experiences I had playing a videogame. It genuinely holds up as one of the all time greats

Runner Up: Armored Core 6

Honourable Mentions (only listing the best of the best stuff that would be a GotY contender):

The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero

Deception 4: Nightmare Princess

Super Mario Run

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse

Parameters

Super Mario 3D Land

Astroboy: Omega Factor

Knightmare

Beyond the Labyrinth

Pilotwings

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Pleasant Surprise:

Sonic Frontiers

Not the best game I played this year but I had a lot of fun playing this, way more than the reviews would have led me to believe.

Biggest Disappointment:

Bugs vs Tanks

By far the weakest of the 3DS Guild games. Expected a lot better here.

Worst:

Crash Bandicoot 2

I normally have this for outright bad but I really didn't finish a bad game this year but Crash Bandicoot 2 and it's slight improvement over it's brand of weak platforming was the weakest game I finished this year.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Currently going for a fresh run through Elden Ring to prep for any upcoming DLC. Beforehand, I clocked the Binding Blade DLC in Darkest Dungeon 2 and was encouraged to start the new year by making a VS Battle.

Apart from that, made another max-level character in D4 (which you can't necessarily 'complete'), currently one mission away from 100%'ing Monster Hunter RISE (now that the next one has been announced), and everything else is typically replayable stuff that isn't exactly eligible.

Let's see what the new year brings. Happy Holidays to all of you :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Megaman V (GB)

Megaman V

Let's kick things off.

Megaman V feels like a send off for the Gameboy Megaman series. Developed in 1994 with support and to coincide with the super Gameboy developer Minakuchi Engineering probably thought this would be their final Gameboy Megaman game since the GB was so long in the tooth. Of course nobody could predict the meteoric success of Pokemon 2 years later.

While previous Gameboy Megaman games had been remixes of bosses and stages from the NES series, Capcom seem to have let developer Minakuchi Engineering run wild with this title as it features all new stages, music and bosses. In this adventure the earth is attacked by a group of robots from outer space calling themselves the Stardroids. It's up to Megaman to stop this interstellar threat and take down two groups of 8 enemy droids named after planets of the solar system in Megaman's first interstellar adventure.

With the excuse for robot genocide out of the way it's standard Megaman stuff here. Like the other Gameboy games you are presented with 4 robot masters to destroy before moving on to the next set of four robot masters. Each of the stages are really well designed and the boss fights are excellent. Some levels even have branching paths like the later NES games. While Megaman does seem to take a lot of damage, I did find this one of the easier Megaman games but then again I find Megaman games easier than most people. The music starts good but the final set of robotmasters all have banging 8bit tunes. The robotmaster weapons as well are varied although I didn't find too much use for them outside of boss fights.

Megaman has had some changes as well. His megabuster has been replaced with the ability to fire out his fist. This can be upgraded so that Megaman can grab enemies to continually damage them or to grab far away items.

It could well be argued that MMV is the best of the Gameboy games. While MM3 and 4 were excellent, MM5 is just as good but also has brand new material rather than feeling it's built on the backs of the NES games. I've only minor niggles with the game. As mentioned I found it a little too easy. Also some of the earlier stages seem to blend into each other from a visual standpoint as they are just standard sci-fi. The four back end stages on the other hand are very inventive. This can be mitigated by playing a recently released GB colour fan hack which looks gorgeous and I kind of regret not playing that version.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Final 2023 round up=16

1. God of war: Ragnarok -PS5
    2. Signalis -Xbox Series X
    3. The Callisto Protocol - PS5
    4. FF7 Crisis core reunion -PS5
    5. Fire Emblem: Engage - Switch
    6. Hogwarts Legacy - PS5
    7. Resident evil 4: Remake -PS5
    8. Star Wars : Jedi Survivor-PS5
    9. Chained Echoes -Steam Deck
    10. Dredge - Steam Deck
    11. Midnight Fight Club - Xbox Series X
    12. Final Fantasy XVI -PS5
    13. Mortal Kombat 11 - Xbox Series X
    14. Tactics Ogre: Reborn - Steam Deck
    15. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty DLC - PS5
    16. Alan Wake 2 -PS5

Favorite game= Alan wake 2

Not a great year for me say my favorite this year was probably Alan Wake 2 , as it was such a interesting and concept and execution, Loved GOW R aswell but some of the middle bits dragged.

Worst game=FF7 Crisis core

Combat was okay but was shite in story for me absolute nonsense.

Runner up=Phantom liberty DLC

This and the 2.0 update made it feel like the game it should have been a few years ago and my enjoyment of it increased tenfold, so much so I restarted from scratch and really enjoyed it.

Pleasant surprise=Dredge

Dredge was an indie I heard about and got to see the maker of at PAX aus, didn't understand the hype about a fishing game until I played it, short too didn't overstay its welcome either.

Won't be posting any complete games unless I knock Baldur's gate 3 off soon nearly finished act 1 also halfway through sea of stars on the switch its very enjoyable all praise its received is well deserved.

Should have a few more on the above list close to completion are darkest dungeon 2, dead island 2 and Metroid prime remaster at the very end but collecting those things at the end dull.

1. Megaman V (GB)
    2. Liberation Maiden (3DS)

Liberation Maiden

A videogame that ties with Radiant Silvergun for best videogame name. Liberation Maidan was developed by Grasshopper manufacturing and headed by Suda51 for the Guild series of games.

Liberation Maiden feels like a pitch for a much bigger project, which is fine as a Guild game being that these are smaller more experimental projects. There's a huge amount of lore and story to this game but it's barely touched on in its hour long game length. Apparently there was a Japanese only visual novel that fleshes things out.

You play as Shoko, the 16 year old school girl daughter of the former president of Japan as she is elected to replace him after his assassination. As the President of Japan it's up to Shoko to do her presidential duty and, eh, pilot a high tech mech suit to take out the dominion forces that are conquering the world and bring back peace and mother nature to the land.

Liberation Maiden has a very unique control scheme. You use the circle pad to move with the L button as a strafe modifier. The stylus and touch pad are used to control the aiming reticule to lock on to enemies and their projectiles. It works really well but it does tend to cramp the hand after a while. Also it's not conductive to the 3D effect of the 3DS unless you are using a New 3DW. In a way the game plays a little like a cross between Panzer dragoon and desert strike.

While the game is only 5 stages and about an hour long, what is here is a lot of fun. The controls feel great, the visuals are nice and theres lovely feedback of the world turning back to nature as you destroy the enemy forces. As a Suda51 game it has a strong aesthetic, very sci-fi anime. I love the encouraging messages Shoko receives from the populace as she destroys the enemy. What really sells the game is the voice acting, Shoko's VA gives an incredible performance.

Give this one a go if you get that chance. It's a very short but interesting game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I have Liberation Maiden but haven't played it properly. Just gave it a quick go after buying it. Must get back to it.

I wasn't very good at it and died a lot

I died once at the final boss. You just have to remember that your shots also steal from your shield so if you stop firing it will recharge the shield. It's not really that difficult except the final boss.

Well I never admit to being good at games. 😁

Just finished it and died multiple times along the way, not only at the final boss but also the stage 3 boss.

Thanks for the recommendation. Now to go and do some finger stretches.

Don't think posted any games here last year but finished plenty (for me). So must try and keep up this year.

1. Liberation Maiden (3ds)

• Advertisement

1. Megaman V (GB)
    3. The Starship Damrey (3DS)

The Starship Damrey

Only one more Guild game after this. The Starship Damrey was created for the Guild series with the involvement of some of the better known mystery VN creators of the 16bit era.

Starship Damrey is very much an adventure game. You wake up in a spaceship's cryopod with no way of getting out. After solving a few puzzles you gain control of one of the ships robots and must control the robot remotely to solve the mystery of the Starship Damrey.

This is another relatively short game, taking about 2-3 hours. You move around the spaceship picking up objects and using them to solve puzzles. While the puzzles are never too challenging the game can fall into the genres pitfalls at times with you getting hung up because you can't find the one object in the room or having to investigate some objects multiple times to get the desired effect

This game was good but nothing amazing. Again it's and interesting concept but I feel it falls flat in a few areas. The game has horror elements that mostly miss the mark. The storyline is a little weak and relies on a final twist. It's not bad but I just find stories relying on twists lazy, looking at you Christopher Nolan.

Definitely worth a play but don't expect to be wowed.

Only one more guild game left, weapon shop de omasse.

Well done, the control scheme can be considered a form of torture but the j-pop soundtracked bosses help you fight through the pain!

Ha! These games must've been on sale at some point since I have that installed as well. Though I just have those 2 Guild games.

If you are going to play any of them then play crimson Shroud. It's absolutely incredible. Fun D&D tabletop aesthetic, great music and exceptional writing. And the new game plus is even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Luna84

1. Starfield (XBOX)

Starfield

What a game. I started it on the 1st of September and put about 110 hours into it over time. Technically I finished it over Christmas in December but I will put it here anyway. I could put even more into the game by doing more bountys and such missions or just exploring more planets but there are flaws as you come across the exact same buildings just on another planets. I still absolutely loved the game. I can see where people come from though about getting on ship and then loading screen and then another loading screen. Maybe if they left out ship combat and ship driving and went with an Outer Worlds type setup where you just load straight onto the planet and no loading screen of ship landing or taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Always complaining about my backlog so decided this year I'm going to try and eat into it so here's my list at the moment

Some heavy hitters in there FF16 will take a while, FF crisis core is worth a miss IMO. Jedi survivor is good big improvement over the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

1.Middle Earth: Shadow of War (PC)

2.Super Mario Galaxy (Switch)

3.Dragon's Dogma (PC)

4.Thief Dark Project (PC)

5.Epistory Typing Game (PC)

6.Star Wars: Dark Forces (PC)

7.Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Switch)

8.Super Mario Galaxy 2 (PC emu)

9.Zelda Tears of the Kingdom (Switch)

10.Bioshock (Steam Deck)

11.Call of Juarez (Steam Deck)

12.Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

Fairly sure last January I said I was retiring from gaming...

The Game of the Year for me was definitely Dragon's Dogma.

Star Wars Dark Forces was the biggest surprise as wasn't expecting much from it.

Call of Juarez Gunslinger is a must with the Steam Deck Gyro controls!

1. Megaman V (GB)
    4. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch)

Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Thought I'd get this one out of the way before I started Mario wonder proper but I found out that this game has a substantial post game and it's also wonderful.

It's kind of weird to thank that for as long as Kirby has been around, this is the first Kirby game in 3D. Theres usually two types of Kirby games, the safe ones that play similarly to the NES game, and the experimental games that try brand new ideas. While Forgotten Land could be considered more safe since it uses all the same standard Kirby abilities, the move to the third dimension allowed the developers to have a lot of fun with game design. The level design can be quite inventive especially when one of Kirby's new abilities is in play where he can inhale some bigger objects in stages. It never reaches Mario levels but it's a step above the usually date from lesser competitors.

It was kind of shocking to see Kirby in a post apocalyptic wasteland setting but it really works and again is a source of a lot of the fun and weirdness this game offers. The music is excellent as usual for Kirby. Stages are very short but each stage has a set of objects to uncover and going for all these objectives means you will uncover secret area and sections of the stages greatly increasing the amount of time you spend in a stage. I really enjoyed all the boss fights in the game.

While the game is a little too easy it also does provide a decent challenge in the quite substantial post game. The post game consists of a handful of remixes stages that are both very long but also very challenging and really make you use Kirby's abilities in creative ways. Each one ends with a repeat boss battle but these have been given new moves and abilities and are substantially tougher than the vanilla bosses. There's also final Coliseum challenge that verges of dark souls levels of challenge.

This game seems to have been ignored by a lot of people but it's one of the highlights of the switches already exceptional exclusives library and really should be checked out. There's also a coop mode to help out younger gamers. I've a few issues with the game but they are mostly technical or minor. I found the waddle Dee world a little superfluous and it was a little annoying returning to it since you'd inevitably be hit with a lot of pop ups on arrival. Technically the game looks incredible. It uses a deferred renderer so the lighting and materials look amazing. The game runs at a mostly rock solid 30 fps but does dip occasionally. What I'm not a fan of are the half rate animations on distant enemies which I always find jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Game || Lies of P

Platform || PlayStation 5

I beat a Soulslike for the first time!! I was absolutely hooked on this one the moment I bought it. I had already started it on Xbox (Game Pass??) but left it sitting there after and completely forgot about it.

Bought it on sale in Argos last month and immediately started it.

My god it is the best love letter to Bloodborne I could've asked for. Can't wait to see where the developers go with this. I feel a franchise starting, and I'm buzzing to see what we get next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Final fantasy 16 - PS5

1. Megaman V (GB)
    4. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch)
    5. Doom Eternal (PC)

Doom Eternal

Little bit disappointed in this one even though I recognise that it's a great game. Doom 2016 was a revelation to me. It was a game that both mocked the industries fixation on bad narrative but was also a kick up the arse for first person shooters that had gotten stale.

Doom Eternal tries to add even more complexity to the doom 2016 combat and that's where it falters. Doom 2016 introduced it's mechanics early on in the game and then gave you tools throughout the game to exploit those mechanics. Doom eternal keeps introducing mechanics throughout the game, even into the final few missions. Enemies are introduced that have weaknesses to certain enemies. Doom 2016 as had a great loop of combat, glory kills and chainsaw. Now you have to juggle glory kills, chainsaw, flamethrower as well as a load of other abilities on cool down timers. There's just way too much to juggle. All this juggling of mechanics makes the game great once you get into it but it's also exhausting. I found the game way too intense and it was hard to play for long times.

It's also a game that doesn't leave a good first impression. Ammo is very limited in the game so you'll need to chainsaw fodder enemies a lot to refill but on starting the game this isn't really made apparent. I had a horrible time when I started the game until this clicked and it only clicked after I gave up on the game and restarted months later.

Another bugbear for me is the focus on story. The story just isn't good and if I'm roleplaying the doom Slayer I'm going to ignore all the codex and more logs you give me. All I needed to know is where the next set of demons are. There's some good scenes, arriving into the BFG 10000 area was a good laugh.

One thing I really need to bring up is the introduction of a late game enemy, the Marauder. This enemy isn't fun tonight and is a complete pain in the ass. I also don't appreciate one of them appearing at the the end of an intense battle and having to restart said battle because the marauder at the end killed me.

Doom Eternal is so frustrating because there's an incredible game in here if there was just a little more restraint in the mechanics. It looks and sounds great and the ID tech engine runs incredibly well. Shout out to the banger soundtrack as well.

Game || Bloodborne

Platform || PlayStation 5

Okay I went back to this after leaving it hanging for 9 years. I didn't realise how close to the end I was. That's two Souls types I've beaten back-to-back in the space of a week and before that I'd never beaten a single one -- never thought I'd ever beat one either.

At first I thought Lies of P was better than Bloodborne but after going back I'm retracting it and reinstating Bloodborne as, still, the best souls game I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭TinCanMan

Assassins Creed Origins [PS5] - This game really surprised me. I went in with no great expectations but loved everything about it. From the side missions to the main quest they really nailed it with this one. Set in ancient Egypt you play the role of Balek out to avenge the death of his son and on the way he discovers a sinister group who had a hand in this. The game looks amazing and plays at a smooth 60FPS on the PS5. I highly recommend it. 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (PS5)

Loved this pretty much from start to finish. It controls, plays and feels fantastic. The combat feels weighty and tricky enough that you need to keep your wits about you. The platforming feels fair, though some long sections will take a good few tries as you have to map out where to go, where you can land/touch etc. Puzzles are pretty good, nothing overly complex but not too simplistic either. Boss battles can be very hectic but if you've levelled up enough they shouldn't take too many tries either.

Has a bit too much collectible sh*te, where you get through a trickly platforming section to be greeted by something that's basically worthless. Too few fast travel points too which can cause a lot of unnecessary backtracking and repeated platforming sections. Even if there was a feature or even a farmable consumable to just return to the last tree-checkpoint that would have been great, as oftentimes especially when you get upgraded powers and go back to check out something you previously couldn't access, you end up between two fast travel points and can either go back the way you came, keep going on that path to the next one, or kill yourself so you respawn at least closer to the previous one (and even then killing yourself can take a while if it's environmental damage as you just respawn with a little health lost). A minor annoyance overall but one that becomes more apparant in the late game.

Overall though, it's one of the best things Ubisoft has done in years, and has surprisingly little of the usual Ubisoft nonsense in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I was the same. After wasting hours on AC Odyssey (the first AC game I tried) which goes on and on and on ... this is a much better game.

Game || Driver

Platform || PlayStation

One of my favourite driving games of all time, probably my favourite driving game on the PS1. Played this via Duckstation, using the widescreen hack and overclocking mechanic. Ran at a solid 30fps for a majority of the time, very little-to-no slowdown. Probably the most fun I've ever had playing this game.

I also managed to attach my RetroAchievements.org account to it as well so I was able to rack up some cheevos too (fantastic piece of kit if you're into that kind of thing and love retro games)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Final fantasy 16 - PS5

Guardians of the galaxy telltale - PS4

1. Metroid Prime Remastered -Switch

Metroid Prime Remastered

Finished this off on my small holiday in queensland, Was at the very end collecting the chozo artifacts which in my opinion was the worst part of the game. The backtracking was painful. The final boss wasn't bad tough enough. Enjoyed the game overall really holds up but I feel metroid for me is better in 2d format. Way preferred even the new Metroid dread and I have a soft spot for them as my first experience of it was metroid fusion on GBA as a wee kipper.

Still chugging through Baldur's gate 3 at ACT 3 now looking to get some solid hours into it this week.

Post edited by Mr.Fantastic on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (PS5)

Tekken 8 (PS5)

A great return to form for the series after a pretty underwhelming Tekken 7 (which by most accounts seemed to improve over time via updates, but was just bland and empty at launch).

The story mode is an absolute blast. It's fun and cheesy in all the best ways and throws up a good few surprises along the way, though unlike the MK story modes you only play as a few select characters. It makes sense for the story they're doing though.

There's an Arcade-type mode where you create sort of a Mii/Xbox avater type thing and go to different arcades and fight people offline, but there are some online functions to it too where it essentially acts as a fight lobby where you can challenge people.

Online play is quick and easy, though people have already started to pick out the most OP characters and moves so some fights are pretty much over once you get hit once. New character Victor especially, his startups are so quick that once he gets a hit in he's barely even on screen for 2 seconds because he's just teleporting all over the place hitting you from every angle.

So yeah, very much enjoying it. Never got into the whole customisation thing that it's really tried to push since T6, but at least it's not aggressively monetising the most sought-after skins though.

Now I just need to start learning a new character because as much as I love Hwoarang, his startups are so goddamn slow....

Advertisement