Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammunition online

Options
  • 27-12-2023 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

Anyone noticed some websites have stopped advertising ammo? Two sites I regularly buy from have removed ammo categories

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MickS12

I've noticed that Ardee sports has moved their guns and ammunition to a separate website, Sportsden is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TheEngineer1

Here's Ardee's they don't make it easy to find

Sportsden is linked through their main website.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wildhunter.ie has likewise gone to www.gunsandanno.ie.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 47 tikka646

And Outdoor Sports now has guns and ammo on outdoorsportshunting.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Courtlough Shooting Grounds have done the same... separate website for ammo

https://thegunroom.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭chris20

Anyone know if ballistech has done the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CharlieR

It’s down to Google not letting the main site appear in searches if they have guns in them according to open season who also moved their guns to a different website.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

That is not correct, and makes zero sense.

If search engines weren't allowing you to search for gun/ammo sales sites then making a new separate site would mean that too wouldn't appear, yet you get a myriad of them if you simply Google "ammunition online Ireland".

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

Google certainly use to ban all gun related searches and whether they have gone away from this I do not know.

I was advised by the owner of OpenSeason that he had to move his gun section away due to traffic not finding his website due to the gun adverts.

just seems strange that all the gun shops are moving their guns etc to dedicated websites away from their main websites. I wonder if there are any links or descriptions on their main websites directing you to their new websites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

MOST Irish gun dealers and shops have abysmal websites and therefore fall way down the rankings that the likes of Google et al using, meaning that they only appear on way later pages.

A quick search for "ammunition Ireland" on duckduckgo gives the following results, even with country set to UK

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Google never banned gun related searches. Facebook and other social media has but generally not search engines.

As Tony mentioned most Irish rfd sites are not up to par, and many have little/no SEO, which was openseasons big problem. Unless you searched for it directly it was way down the list of results.

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Dare I ask if anyone has compared the prices of a few popular rounds, and brands, while doing the above research?

What we really need now, is a rice comparison website, to help us all track down best prices.

Sadly, prices have shot up, over the last 2 years, and there's no sign of them coming back down, despite some costs having reduced (i.e. shipping and fuel, within EU).

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BSA International

.308 FMJ's last year €50 for 50 ..... now €80 for 50 ...... 60% increase!

223 & 6.5 is up massively too.

Even cheap plinking stuff is a good way higher than last year.

Funny thing is comparing historical EU prices vs ours, theirs haven't increased anywhere near the same amount as ours! In some cases less than a quarter of our increase.

Odd that, and only 2 explanations as far as I can see:

1 - Transport costs(ammo has to be shipped hazmat between countries, even intra EU),

2 - Price gouging from distributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭chris20

Even the 17hmr is up, Seen one place doing a box of 20gr for €28

1] Correct.

2] Possibly, in some unscrupulous cases,but more than likely having to pass on costs to the consumer.

3] Possible solution,[back of an envelope thought]...Group buy of one calibre with everyone maxing out their allowances on their licenses and doing a deal on storage with their club or gun dealer, drawing down their allocation when needed and splitting the shipment cost?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Just had a quick look online, for American Eagle 223 55g FMJ, which I was buying for Euro8 per box of 20, 2 to 3 years ago

Gunshop.ie 18.50

Sportsden 25.00

Mc Brides 14.00

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Its the dealers also taking the piss with prices.

What I can't grasp though is I can buy magazines online in the UK and Ireland with no licence needed but to buy in the North they want to see your licence?

They also won't ship down South either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi Grizz,

Super idea to do a bulk purchase, but very tricky to manage, and coordinate, I would think.

You'd probably need to get a licensed deailer on side, if going to import - otherwise, even with bulk purchase from an Irish registered dealer, probably wouldn't get a substantial discount.

My gut tells me that good old "Rip Off Ireland", is alive and well 🙄

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

I dunno, sometimes you can get a decent discount from Irish dealers if you're a regular customer and buy in bulk.

Itd be worth considering anyway, as you'd need an Irish dealer onside to do the ammo import as the DoJ won't issue an import permit to multiple people.

Hell, even a bulk buy of a cheap ammo on the continent like and common here 223, 308, etc might be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Piss taking by rfd's in regards to price. For example fiocchi carts made in Italy are cheaper to buy in the UK Post brexit than here. How is that possible when technically the UK should have vat customs duty etc on top.

Would a lot of stuff still come through NI? I know my rifle that I bought this year came from England, went through NI on its way to the RFD.

Found this german website tonight looking for SK Match Long Range and 30% min difference to Irish dealers.

I messaged them about delivery costs for the 500 rounds I wanted to order.

Unfortunately they state no delivery of ammo outside Germany.

Shame too, 223 for <50 cents a round!

Again, EU rules that apply to everyone except the Irish. Just like VRT tax et al, can and will be applied except to Ireland. Like all EU laws, we have an EXCEPTION rule that we can apply, BUT Irish Government do not use these rules, i.e. Dublin Agreement regarding illegal immigrants and asylum seekers

Not quite in this case. It's a German problem in finding couriers that will handle Hazmat to ship around the EU and is it a cost-to-profit for the German company to apply for export permits etc for a small amount of ammo. The Germans get charged BTW for every single import/export cert they apply for at 50 euros a pop. So we are one slight thing better than most of our EU neighbours.AGS /DOJ don't charge for doing our EU firearms passports or import/export certs!

In the above case,500 rounds aren't worth the effort, any German gun owner can buy that in their shop with no problem and walk out with it. 5000 and people are interested 10 to 15k and they will work with you.

Just had a response back and they don’t ship outside of Germany.

Advertisement