Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Range rover evoque diesel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭User1998

Its all well and good if you can afford them new but a used purchase out of manufactures warranty is a completely different story. OP is looking to buy an 8 year old car.

I owned an 8 year old Range Rover for 12 months and it needed a €1.5k repair to the injectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

My point is more at those saying to stay clear as all RR are unreliable. I have had 2 with no issues.

Any premium car outside of warranty is going to cost you when parts need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭goochy

Maybe do but if a,used car dealer had a forecourt of them they would sell vert quickly. Land rovers brand image despite reliability issues is sky high

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’ve had 5, number 6 is arriving next week.

If you haven’t driven one, you just don’t know how fantastic they are. I only ever had problems with one, and it was glitches in the electrics, had to bring it in a few times and traded up after a year so don’t know if the new owner had problems.

Yes there has to be some reason new and use vehicles are so popular even in Ireland where we normally swear by Toyota land cruisers etc

• Advertisement

I found my Range Rover a bit underwhelming. It was a 50 grand car and it didn’t even have an autohold handbreak and it had an outdated infotainment system, terrible reverse camera, the clocks were from a 10 year old Evoque. A 10 year old Golf has better tech than a €50k Range Rover. I bought a Lexus jeep for €3k a few months later and found that better in almost every way.

The newer ones with updated screens and clocks etc look a bit better to be fair.

I normally love range rovers but can't warm to new model at all , not a clean design and looks too bulky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

I come a Ross a 2015 evogue, manual but needs an engine, it's fairly cheap but I suppose you be reconditioning rather than putting an engine from breakers in it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Don't mind the anecdotes.

The JD Power Survey, which is regarded as the industry standard for customer satisfaction, included Land Rover as a brand in its 2023 Reliability index for both the UK and US, reflecting 2020 model-year cars.

4th last in the UK out of 30. Stone dead last in the US out of 32.

Buy a Lexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I love range Rovers but wouldn't buy one. I actually like the range rover sport and the velar, the big range rover is too big and just looks obnoxious. The Evoque is, well, very girly. Designed by posh Spice in the marketing material, she was no more involved than I was though.

My father has had a series of land rover Discovery over the years, used them for working out of and my god they caused him grief. He loved them though so kept buying them for some reason.

Uncle had a full fat range rover for a while, same kind of hassle moved it on and sold it to my cousin who is a mechanic. His wife drives it around doing the school runs about 1km from the house I've never seen anything as stupid in my life.

• Advertisement

Lexus NX or Lexus RX. I’ve owned an RX and loved it, but the NX is more similar in size to an Evoque. All petrol or hybrid Lexus are absolutely bulletproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John arse

Are they hard to run those hybrids ,,,they seem to be making very big money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Horrible looking yokes.

They’re good on fuel, especially around town. They’re a luxury SUV so yeah they’re not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

You've never seen a Range Rover purchased to ferry kids short distances before?

That's the target demographic. And anyone who thinks this is a bad idea is only jealous. (or so I've been told)

To be fair I had a big Range Rover and was only doing short trips in it and it always felt so wasteful burning that amount of diesel just to go to the shops and back.

That’s like drinking fine wine and feeling wasteful because you’ll be pissing it out. The enjoyment is in the use, if you don’t enjoy it, buy a Duster.

• Advertisement

Didn’t really enjoy it but that doesn’t mean buy a duster. I rather big EV’s or hybrid.

I have but this thing goes about 500m through a housing estate and another few lengths of a football pitch to a school carpark and back home again and sits up for the day

But why would you possibly buy a 3 tonne jeep, then be conscious that you are wasting fuel? You didn’t know how much fuel it would use before you bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

That's exactly where it should be if you want the neighbours to see it.

I didn’t care about the cost of fuel for say, it was close to a euro a litre at the time. It was just the car in general felt kind of wasteful and overkill for what I needed. The thing didn’t even fit in my garden and was awkward enough to manoeuvre around the housing estate. Kind of like how Buddy bubs describes it below

Not sure what point your trying to make? How about you tell us about your experience of owning one? Maybe that will help the OP

I already have.

My point is, anyone who buys one knows what they are buying, and why. Even though they have a poor reliability record, LR can’t make enough of their more expensive ones and have scaled back the less expensive units to focus on meeting demand. People, including the op, don’t consider Evoques because of fuel efficiency, or how they manoeuvre, there are other cars better than a LR, but they aren’t LR.

In your case, LRs don’t get smaller after you buy them, or more fuel efficient, so it seems odd that you bought one, then found it didn’t fit in your garage, was awkward to manoeuvre and wasteful. What did you think you were buying?

I don’t see how its odd at all. I bought a car that was surplus to my needs and it didn’t suit my driving style, so I made the decision to sell it a year later. I don’t mind driving big thirsty SUV’s. I bought a 3.5 Lexus RX straight after. But it was just that bit smaller and the hybrid suited my driving style better so I fell in love with it.

Fit in my garage? I don’t have a garage, I live in a council estate in Dublin. Maybe if I lived in Blackrock and had a big gated garden I’d consider one again. But you obviously don’t realise how big and bulky a car is until your driving down your own street, full of cars on both sides. I wasn’t expecting it not to fit in my garden but the wing mirrors clipped the pillars, and it barely fit outside the house without sticking out.

I’m not telling OP not to buy one because they are big and bulky, I’m just giving my experience of owning one. Anyway, the Evoque is tiny so most of what I’m saying doesn’t matter anyway. I had a RR Sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Iwantone

Evoque with the 2.0 Ingenium engine is a dog. In fact any Land Rover or Jaguar with this engine is the same, Discovery, Sport, XF etc.

For evidence check Twitter or Land Rover, Jaguar or Evoque forums. Countless stories of low mileage engine failures.

These cars are supposed to have a 21000 mile service interval but suffer from DPF regen issues and oil dilution. Inevitably the majority of these cars are used exclusively for short runs, this causes havoc to the regen cycle.

UK Evoque Ownwers Club contributors recommend oil changes every 6K miles for this reason.

We have one that needed to have its timing chain done out of warranty at 30K km. Joe Duffy quoted €4.7k for the pleasure and said LR wouldn’t contribute anything. We used a LR dealer in the UK combined with a contribution from LR at a cost of circa €2.5K.

I’ve just had a DPF warning light at 43K Km, dealer looking for €1900 to replace but I managed to do a DPF delete and a regen manually. Another bullet dodged.

Personally I wouldn't touch a 2.0D variant, neither will the trade. 16 plate auto, 45Km, loaded, metallic, 21” LR wheels, 2 tone leather, with glass roof getting a 15K trade in. The wheels alone cost 4.5K new and are as new.

Advertisement