Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URC Round 8: Munster vs. Leinster - 26/12/2023

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I think the knock on was after it came off his chest when he tried to regather it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Dreadful conditions for game, McCarthy will certainly be pushing for start in 6 Nations, Jager I would expect in squad, especially with Furlong fitness, Baird too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Furlong hasn’t been himself for a while and Bealham hasn’t been great for Connacht post RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Perhaps, would need to see the clip again and where the scrum was from

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Haven't seen the recording of the match yet but from the stands my summary is

Leinster were poor, Munster were worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I feel for Edogbo. If that's his Achilles done, he misses the remainder of the season. I thought it was his knee. It was a good physical battle and the hits were hard and thumping. For Munster, Loughman again impressed me as did Clarke. Edodbo was going well too. Quiet shift for Hodnett. I think Penny was the better openside.

Both 9's had a tough day. The 10's were a mixed bag. Baird absolutely bossed the line out! Seriously good effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Downlinz

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Very hard to see him having much of a career at this stage if true. Real shame

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ryan Baird is fast becoming one of the best defensive jumpers in the country. Around the 70th minute of the game Munster had three lineouts in the space of 90 seconds. Baird forced a knock on at the first, slapped the second into touch and cleanly stole the third. The first was inside Leinster's 22 and completely stole momentum away from Munster.

If POM isn't back in time for the Six Nations I think Farrell will be giving serious consideration to starting Baird. Closest backrow we have to O'Mahony's lineout skillset.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think he should be starting outright, regardless of POM's health. He's a better player at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

I went to this, and despite the awful weather had a good time and a great night out in Limerick afterwards.

It was another disappointing attacking performance from Leinster. They dominated the game for the majority of the time, and just couldn’t convert. It was another of those games where you felt it they got the try they’d have kicked on and potentially won by 15+. The incredible Zebo tackle on McGrath prob kept Munster in the game.

Leinster defensive line speed was really impressive and really put Munster under huge difficulty. They essentially couldn’t play around it or get outside it, and the only real offensive tactic left in their locker seemed to be the cross field kick.

Thought Casey was extremely fortunate to get away with a yellow. Equally, cannot understand how Clarke’s hit on McCarthy wasn’t a minimum penalty, and possibly yellow (taking into account the way he tucked his arm and led with his shoulder into contact).

Awful shame to see Edogbo’s injury. Really hope it isn’t as severe as being reported.

Another immense performance from Joe McCarthy. He’s playing far better than Iain Henderson and should now be in an Ireland 23 IMO.

For Leinster thought Kelleher, Porter, Penny, Frawley and Larmour went well, and Baird’s cameo was immense. McCarthy absolutely deserved MotM.

Frustrating outing for Harry Byrne IMO. Conditions were tough but you can’t miss those shots at goal (especially his second miss). Those are the pressure kicks to put the game away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Given POM has had one game this season, that seems more than a bit premature tbh.

But people have been writing POM off for years at this point...

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Worth revisiting the “how good is Joe McCarthy” post after his MotM performance in a win in Thomond last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Rewatched the game today. Leinster win the majority of collisions and when the front liners started to tire, the replacements came in and really took the game away from Munster. There was so much physicality from the bench. Thought Baird and Sheehan were really excellent. In contrast Munsters replacements didn't have any impact.

Alex Kendellan had a day to forget especially. His major contributions were getting blown over twice when attempting to make tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Good cameo by Tom Clarkson too. Seems to be progressing well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

People were getting excited about Kendellan last season or the season before but his biggest contributions always seemed like his attempts to start scraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think Kendellan a talented guy but probably lacking a bit of power still to make his presence felt at the top end. Sometimes guys develop that power and robustness after they break through though.

I've gone on at length about this in the past but Irish rugby produces so many guys of his size and shape that are automatically put to No. 8 at underage level to get them carrying as often as possible.

We produce so many back row guys who are on that 100-108kg bracket who are approximately 6'2".

In top end rugby, they're only really going to be able to survive at openside and, even then, they'll need a stand out ability to make the cut. We already have VDF, Hodnett and Hurley Langton as first choice opensides in that bracket. Hard to know who is the first choice openside at Ulster although Timoney played the European games there and is a bit of a physical freak, weighing 114kg but having the speed of a centre.

But that leaves lads like Kendellan, Crothers, Rea, Reffell, Jack Daly, Jack O'Sullivan, Martin Moloney, Scott Penny, Paul Boyle, Conor Oliver, Sean O'Brien and Jarrad Butler all in that bracket.

I don't think any of the above really have a sufficient point of difference (SOB might well do) at this point to make me think they'll be a test player or up to the demands of top end European rugby.

It's good to see guys like Ahern and Baird move to flanker in recent times but some of the above players would have been better served moving to different positions earlier in their careers, away from the back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Problem is, many of the Irish lads who wind up that shape and size probably aren't showing early signs of the agility and pace needed to play anywhere in the backs. And parents are increasingly wary about letting their kids play in the front row, even hooker. So what do you do with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I dunno..I'd say a few of the above guys definitely had the pace to play inside centre. I think Penny could have been quite good there and he does play there on some launch plays for Leinster. Keep in mind, they'd probably be 5kg lighter if playing in the backs.

Hooker is the obvious one for a few guys. 105-110kg appears completely normal for hookers. Can't argue if the parents won't allow them play there but I'm not sure that's too common in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Is there anything to be said for another tax break?

But specific to prop forwards, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

In fairness to Boyle, he is a powerful player and fits in at blindside. The others are somewhat similar. Maybe they just can't attain a level higher than they're at? It's too early to form opinions on Crothers. I'm not expecting him to be VDF 2, But he's early in his career. I thought Kendellen would be a shout for international duty. He may still make it.

Advertisement