Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tubmeister on Virgin Radio (Warning in post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Delusional take....

If anyone had said to Tubridy 12 months ago do you want to jack in your €550/600k cushy RTE position in the golden circle or would you rather schlep over n' back to London for 3 times the work load and a fraction of the pay, what do you think he would have said.

Tubs was an RTE lifer and why wouldn't he be, who would voluntarily give up those conditions. Its only his own greed n' arrogance have landed him here. Its the equivalent of an IT consultant in Dublin going to work in a UK call centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TheBMG

But it’s not three times the workload and I wouldn’t believe much the papers say about his salary. The fact remains he’s got a plum gig in what could arguably be called the toughest radio market on Earth. Can you think of a more competitive English speaking market? There’s not many!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I don’t think they realise how utterly unhinged they come across. Seeking out a radio show presented by someone they having a worrying loathing of, just so they can hate listen.

Why do this? There’s an infinite amount of radio, music, podcasts they could be listening to instead. Is it a loneliness thing, a need for a shared connection with liked minded folks online, bullying etc? I don’t get it. Can someone explain?

Like I’d rather get a 5 finger prostate exam than listen to Oliver Callan, so I don’t.

Better things to be doing with my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Research for the radio show? Did you ever listen to it? Most of the time he was clearly reading off cue-cards for the first time or else spouting anecdotes about people stopping him on the street being in awe of him, books he read and other self-indulgent things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Tubridy is the face of the corruption and nepotism in RTE. He is basically the reason why we have so many refusing to pay the RTE tax. There is certainly an element of schadenfreude, well deserved in my opinion. Also, we have been unable to forget about him given all the fluff pieces Noel Kelly gets into Irish media. He would be well forgotten by now if we didn't have constant articles about Tubridy revealing he went for a walk, or Tubridy rides a bike etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Did you ever listen to it?

Honestly, no... Yeah a bit more of a workload then perhaps. Still only 15-17 hours a week though

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

I wasn't a huge fan but I had to listen to Tubridy at work and honestly, to me, he wasn't anywhere near as bad as you're saying. He's no Gerry Ryan but he's a very capable broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

- The Ryan Line returns -

I have just listened to Mr Tubridy, phoning it in to Q102 on his first day at Virgin Radio UK.

My opening position is that I liked Ryan on the radio - he was much better on radio than TV. He always came across as being far more comfortable and confident in his own abilities while on radio and I enjoyed his wit and sense of humor on topical aspects, mainly relating to our nearest and dearest neighbours on the adjacent Island. His satirical comments during and post Brexit about the politicians who pursued the Brexit agenda and the mess that the UK has since gotten itself into, were an insight into how much things have changed between the two islands, in a very short space of time.

And there is the problem.... he is now trying to walk a political and cultural tightrope between two simultaneous audiences where there were always differences between them, at a time when the gap between those differences is probably widening. In short, he just didn't sound comfortable (perhaps mentally checking what he was going to say in advance) and that makes for uncomfortable listening. He sounded like he was trying too hard to be unspecifically zanier than he would personally be comfortable with.

I am not sure what format the programme can take, except for the blandest non region specific approach. I don't see how an Irish audience will warm to UK references and how the UK audience can hope to accept and understand Irish references. Even simple, things like signing off saying 'Jane is up next' (Middlemiss), ruffled my feathers as it was Andy Preston who was taking over on Q102 - It made me feel uncomfortable and I don't listen to uncomfortable radio.

It is very early days and I know that those of us who express our opinions of radio output are not typical listeners. Typical listeners do not consider and analyse like we do, frankly they don't care as much. Maybe that is the gamble that is being taken with this exercise, if people don't care, they won't notice..... but what if they do?

It is obviously very early days yet.... but as I said, it was not comfortable listening, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

You have to remember where he came from. He was the highest paid on air presenter at the Irish state broadcaster. The people who held that title before him were heavy hitters in broadcasting and could have commanded big salaries abroad, had they decided to leave RTE. Some did leave and commanded those salaries.

He's 50 years old and he's taken on what would be a plum job for a man 20 years younger who wants to get his name out there. He's working for a fraction of his previous annual rate and an absolute pittance to what he was banking in 2010/2011. And for alot more airtime than he's ever worked before.

This move only makes sense from the perspective, as others have said, of trying to cobble together maybe 2 years in UK radio before his agent tries to get him back in the luxury he's accustomed to at Montrose. He has to be employed and be able to declare he's conquered another radio market so Noel K can get him a great deal at RTE in a few years.

If Paddy Power was taking bets on Tubs ever making a return to RTE, I'd put a very sizeable sum on it that he will. And in the short/medium term probably

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I think for the amount of money he was on he could have a least read the cue cards before going on air, it wasn't a one-off thing either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,457 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I called that way before he got the new gig. The radio forum is riddled with a clique of pure oddballs who get their kicks from such things. It is the culture created over time, old moderators brought into it, and new moderators found the culture impossible to change. It is sort of ingrained at this stage par for the course. Apparently when you ask them why they do it, they claim it is fun but 'hate' (insert presenter name here), the small group becomes tight knit and eggs each other on 'playing to the gallery' - injokes etc

I think those types have too much time on their hands and need to find a more productive hobby. Good time of the year to start a new one. We might see some more posters in the gardening, golf, snooker, art/crafts DIY, gym threads etc???

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

He waffles for a second about how he is indeed a huge lover of reading and is very bookish altogether before settling on JK Rowling.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TheBMG

As a radio forum regular I’d have to say that most of the Tubridy posts are from users who I’ve rarely ever seen posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Oh please no- I’m “happy” for him where he is - let him drift there all he wants but jayzuz don’t let him back into RTÉ - hopefully all future DG’s of RTÉ will practice the line “Too soon”

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I doubt he's giving more than passing consideration to his Q102 audience; Virgin is his main hustle now and for the foreseeable future.

Typical listeners do not consider and analyse like we do, frankly they don't care as much. Maybe that is the gamble that is being taken with this exercise, if people don't care, they won't notice.

This is the point most people are missing re his Virgin audience; most of them are tuning in for Chris Evans and will leave the radio on unless the next guy is actively aggravating them or playing weird music or something. Hence Tubridy's blandness and beigeness will absolutely be to his advantage with this gig.

• The old adage, “pride comes before a fall” couldn’t be more true here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I see Eddy Temple Morris has a new show on Virgin Radio Anthems a DAB+ channel https://twitter.com/eddyTM/status/1741780986407379130 so it seems hes replacing Tim Cocker https://virginradio.co.uk/schedules/virginradioanthems seems Tim is also a rugby presenter and has trouble with the trains getting to London from Manchester https://twitter.com/cocker/status/1567561164401397763

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

Isn't part of the issue that it didn't matter when Tubs was RTE groomed him and made their investment, we were going to have to endure him, whether anyone liked him or not.

We'll see how he copes in a commercial station where if he succeeds its not because he is the only show in town. Let's see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

That's a bit unfair on RTE and Tubridy. He was seen as the new Gay Byrne by many.

Tubridy just like any Radio / TV presenter, naturally progressed from reporting on Radio 1 / presenting weekend shows, then to the "Full Irish" on 2FM eventually to the Late Late Show and weekday Radio 1 - essentially replacing Gay Byrne and/or Pat Kenny. With the exception of someone like Derek Mooney, who else in RTE could have been a contender?

I guess he was in the right place at the right time - the years among the retirement of Gay Byrne, the death of Gerry Ryan and Pat Kenny moving on to Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Just out of interest, why would the replacement have had to come from within RTE? Patrick Kielty has shown you don't need to go with the least worst option among the "stars".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭yagan

I have a feeling that even if Tubs succeeded in wriggling his way back into RTE he'll again blow it with hubris.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lecter8319

I dont see a problem with people commenting on Tubs show & listening to it whether they like him or not. He's put himself in the public eye, has benefited from it financially extremely well. Who knows, they might be the only ones listening in a few more weeks:).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭yagan

Has he benefitted extremely well? If he kept stum he'd still be on RTE, but no, he had to double down on hubris.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Seriously…….

I won’t be listening so unlikely to be commenting on his show per se - out of sight out of mind is not a bad way to approach Tubridy these days- gone and forgotten is probably the worst thing that could happen here (for him)- will be interesting to see how his show is received in Ireland - I guess the advertising takings along with listenership figures will tell their tale over the coming 6 months - from the 1/2 hour I listened to this morning there was A LOT of music - I know he did an interview later on but it’s not consistent broadcasting- those who want music want music- those who want talk radio want talk radio - this wasn’t either - I’m not convinced it will succeed tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

Yes. Tubridy getting the late late show was the end of a career planned for at least a decade - ever since the full Irish.

Can't think of any Irishman capable of hosting a late night weekend chat show myself. I'll think further on it. Even so, acting as if it's an impossibly unique set of skills that are required is probably what Noel Kelly would have you believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Doc07

0.5/10

League of Ireland to Premier…😀

Do you know anyone in show business who considers a massive pay cut and no longer being top billed star as a measure of a successful move? (not counting the A-list actors who do the odd independent movie or play as RTÉ and Virgin are both mainstream media)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Heard bits and pieces of him today. There seems to be lots and lots of ads on the programme. About 4 minutes long ? Not sure.

Very bland full of nothingness. Send us in whatsapp stuff, What's on your mind etc.

He sounded like a 15 year old high on something. Excited to be on the radio. Not playing to his strengths which is engaging in meaningful conversation not talking to someone about how they spent New Year's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement