Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I liked My AI when I first heard it a couple of weeks back but it's getting old quickly and looks silly live. Loved Dag & Anne tonight, so pleased they qualified!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Bambie Thug song...

The late late format (small studio, panel etc) and demographic voting it hasn't a chance.

But my word, having listened to it on Spotify with headphones etc, it's incredible and a serious grower, the finish in particular is amazing. Would work incredibly well live in Sweden. Time to take a risk with something like this, I think it would have a real chance, let's do it!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Totally agree, that last 30 seconds would look incredible on stage with an LED light show behind it. This and the Ailsha song are the only two that seem to have any kind of traction online. I'd love if Bambi could do it but don't think it's gonna happen 😭

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭fitz

Having seen live performance footage of Bambie Thug, I think they're going to be the strongest live performance of the night on the LLS, I don't think the small at stage is going to bother them at all.

I absolutely believe they'd be great and shoulders the best performer for us on a massive stage in Malmö.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, people are talking way too much about the LLS studio and its supposed drawbacks. The sound and acoustics were actually pretty decent in 2022 and 2023 and better than previous Eurosongs (2015 and earlier). I don't see Bambie or Ailsha being hampered at all and I'd agree that Bambie is the most likely one to give the strongest performance of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭aidanodr

BAMBIE THUG for me defo.

Marilyn Manson, Dark GAGA, a bit of rebelious Madonna and Anti Dana ( :D ) rolled into one, def EV winner with Doomsday Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 71,876 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Looking forward to Friday 🙂

The odds as it stands…

Although I’ve got a very bad feeling that Louis Walsh’s Band Of Kens might steal victory.

I hope to be proved wrong. 😊

Huh, wonder how Erica has become such a clear favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Erica would have name recognition. That could be a factor, or those who are laying money may think it will be. Betting odds only reflects the bets made, the wisdom of the punters.

I've tried making some form of guess as to how Eurosong will go on Friday, here's my punt:

Televote

1. Ailsha 12

2. Next in line 10

3. Bambie Thug 8

4. Erica Cody 6

5. Isabella 4

6. Jyellowl 2

Studio jury

1. Erica Cody 12

2. Next in line 10

3. Ailsha 8

4. Isabella 6

5. Bambie Thug 4

6. Jyellowl 2

International Jury

1. Ailsha 12

2. Bambie Thug 10

3. Erica Cody 8

4. Isabella 6

5. Next in line 4

6. Jyellowl 2

Total:

1. Ailsha 32

2. Erica Cody 26

3. Next In line 24

4. Bambie Thug 22

5. Isabella 16

6. Jyellowl 6

It's a hard one to call though, not without knowing what they'll look/sound like on the Late Late.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Advertisement

I'm surprised she's favourite - her song sounds a bit bland and generic in this line up, something you'd hear in nearly any national final. I don't doubt she is a good singer but the song is hardly a masterpiece.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭fitz

Having seen some live performance footage of Ailsha from the start of last year, I don't think she'll be topping any vote based on performance...reckon she'll bomb on the night. Also don't think Next In Line will do well in the televote. The older LLS viewers might like it, but that cohort are not going to be submitting multiple votes. Reckon the top of the televote will be between Bambie Thug (based on performance and the same divilment from the public that supports stuff like Lordi), and Erica Cody based on name recognition and some kind of existing fanbase.

The studio jury...I think performance/staging on the night is going have a big impact on who they go for...I hope they don't go for the "safe" options.

Post edited by fitz on

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭supereurope

If Ireland was to win the contest in 2024 (I know, I'm dreaming), who would RTÉ likely appoint as the presenters? I fear Lottie Ryan would be involved, so perhaps it's best we don't win for a while.

I reckon Bambie Thug will be have the best vocals on the night, based on a lot of their YouTube clips. Ailsha is an unknown quantity and I wouldn't be entirely optimistic she can deliver a great performance (but who knows). Erica Cody should be decent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,017 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Name recognition and we love generic muck like this. I am sure she is a lovely person and the performance will be solid, but I can't believe we are going to send something so bland yet again. I'm not suggesting Bambi would win if they qualify but at least their might be a small chance we could get to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭supereurope

Much of the Irish public seems to think that "playing it safe" (so keeping it generic) is the key to getting our Eurovision results back on track, which is actually the last thing we need to do.

EDIT: just expanding on this. The Irish love of "playing it safe" comes from the days when only juries decided the results. Juries were very conservative and tended to love "safe" acts. It's probably no coincidence that the last year of 100% jury voting was also the year Ireland last won (1996.) But the contest has changed so much, and televoters don't want safe. While they only decide 50% of the grand final result, they have all the power in the semi-finals, so "playing it safe" will never get us out of the semis.

Post edited by supereurope on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Currently giving it it's first listen, and its a banger.

Edit:

F***ing BANGER

but we'll end up sending fcuking Louis Walsh's boyband...

Just given that Bambie Thug song it's 3rd listen. It's an absolute banger.

That has got Eurovision written all over it and it'll blow the roof off any arena..

It reminds me of a really good Eurovision song that another country would produce... the tune is already locked in my head..

If we have the balls to send that song, it's 100% getting to the final, and I'd go as far as to say it could be a top 5 top 10 finisher in a final.

I'd personally say Doomsday Blue would be a borderline qualifier, and maybe finish mid table if it made it. As others have said though, I'd rather us take a punt on something risky than send something safe an inoffensive Like Erica Cody or Next In Line. I think Erica will get it though 😐

• Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

As a song it's a heap of sh*te - a mish mash of nothing. Maybe it's a spectacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I’d be sickened if Erica Cody gets it’s. The song is quite poor.

I thought it when I heard her first on Ray D’Arcy a few weeks back. She’s really getting a career out of RTE for obvious reasons.

Her YT videos all have low numbers considered. Any thing she has done beyond that has been bankrolled by RTE.

Dancing with the canteen etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The only ones with any hope of qualifying are Go Tobann and Doomsday blue. Erica Cody's song will get lost among the more interesting tunes and finish 14th in the semi. No idea how that's the favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭LordBasil

Excited for tomorrow. I have no idea how it'll go. I would not take heed of bookie's odds at the moment. They'll likely fluctuate wildly during the show tomorrow. It will all depend on the performances. Interestingly that they have a upgraded stage which will benefit everyone but I feel Ailsha & Bambie Thug will make the most of it.

I hope Bambie Thug wins as they are our best hope. I feel with Ailsha there will likely be a number of wacky party songs at Eurovision so she might get overlooked and Erica's song while good would unlikely excite Europe's public enough to vote (kinda like Brooke). Remember there are no juries in Eurovision semi finals so qualification will rely solely on the public vote. Bambie Thug will be different and memorable enough to get through plus the song is actually very good.

The public vote on Eurosong can be unpredictable, take 2022 for example when the public backed fun, uptempo songs over ballads from more well know names (Janet Grogan, Brendan Murray) and through the years we had fancied acts that floundered (Nikki Kavanagh, Eoghan Quigg etc)

My prediction (likely very wrong);

Televote

1. Ailsha 12

2. Bambie Thug 10

3. Next in Line 8

4. Erica Cody 6

5. JyellowL 4

6. Isabella 2

National jury

1. Erica Cody 12

2. Bambie Thug 10

3. Next in Line 8

4. Isabella 6

5. Ailsha 4

6. Jyellowl 2

International Jury

1. Bambie Thug 12

2. Erica Cody 10

3. Ailsha 8

4. Isabella 6

5. Next in line 4

6. Jyellowl 2

Total:

1. Bambie Thug 32

2. Erica Cody 28

3. Ailsha 24

4. Next in Line 20

5. Isabella 14

6. Jyellowl 8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

If Isreal compete then it would surely be career destroying within Ireland for any Artist to go to Eurovision, especially if the preliminary hearing goes against Israel. There is a reason Bono didn't show up at the busk in Grafton Street last christmas eve after his support for Israel. The Irish public wont be quiet if we compete alongside Israel. We might end up sending Lynda Martin because I can't see any young artist going.

But the Contest is in Sweden, hosted by SVT and the EBU. It makes no sense whatsoever to boycott a contest featuring 37 countries because you don't like one of the participants i.e. your protest wouldn't even register with the country you have an issue with.

Bambie Thug has already stated they are strongly against Israel and pro-Palestine but seemingly have no intention of withdrawing if selected - quite rightly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I put a wee bet on Bambie Thug a while back I genuinely think at 4-1 it has a decent shot. It's very much a three horse race.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No Romania this year as the broadcaster that is responsible says they have financial constraints which would restrict them sending a performer of a higher quality.

Is Linda Martin going to be involved in tonight’s selection process…?

Tonight's running order. Very good for Next In Line and Erica Cody, not so good for Bambie Thug...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hmmm...helpful for the boy band that Louis Walsh and Linda Martin love who we're fast tracked and Erica-already an RTE favourite-cody..what a shock.

Post edited by gmisk on

Advertisement