Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Last year I was all in on listening to each of the songs trying to decide which might qualify. What was a disaster however were the live performances. I think it will be the same this time, whichever song we send will need a good live performance to carry it on stage and live TV. Hate the Late Late format, why don’t they move the Late Late for that night to a bigger venue with a proper stage, etc. Personally I would prefer Ireland to withdraw this year and not participate with Israel. It can’t be one rule for Russia and another for Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So is this the entry that got fast tracked? I smell a rat here and a big one at that - our Ailsha is too well connected. And the 'song' was crap.

The gas thing though is that apparently the Late Late Show audience will be a main arbiter. And that audience both crashed last year but anyway represents a demographic that is way older than the fans expected to vote for us when it comes the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I sincerely doubt she is the one that was fast tracked it will be Louis Walsh and his bland boy band. Who is Ailsha connected too?

I think last year it was audience votes, Irish jury and international jury? All same weight.

The only ones that gave the better song last year (midnight summer night) full points was the international one.

Post edited by gmisk on

Did you not catch her intro? Shaun Davey and Rita Connolly are parents - well got as they say in circles that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

I assure you that Ailsha was not fast-tracked, her song was simply one of the best. The fast tracked act is Next In Line, the boyband. Ailsha's song will do very well in May with the televote, Europeans love this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm liking this alisha idea , just listened on YouTube though and the production was awful, was it better on radio ?

Bambi? Jaysus - ever more a mish mash than Ailsha. Witchy Ouigi rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,880 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭corkie

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I i

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭squarecircles

ok its bambi for me, ailshas a close second, this is SICK.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I actually really like the Bambie Thug song, but I fear it's nowhere near immediate enough to connect with viewers. Think the last 30 seconds have potential for a great light/stage show. I wouldn't be dissatisfied if this was our entry.

I would be a bit concerned about whether she'd be able to handle the toxicity of the Eurovision fandom though, particularly given she's posted quite a bit about her mental health struggles inside the last year.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

Ah no not listening live I knew song already. Did they say she was fast tracked? Still pretty sure that will be Louis Walsh boyband. I like the song tbh it was already available I posted a link, if she can do it live it gets my vote Ailsha a bit too out there.

I don't agree, have you listened to the Ailsha song? That could be more levelled at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

Bambie and Ailsha won't come across well on the awful Late Late Show format, so will lose out to generic pop.

Both would be really good on the big stage with all the production and theater. I would love to see us sending Bambie Thug 🤣

Yep would believe that she wasn't the one fast tracked. Louis Walsh boyband as previously launched on the late late...yeah make sense zzz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

That will be the only thing in common between the 2 songs. Erica Cody is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,880 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Louis Walsh has put another boyband together?

(Looks at calendar to check that it’s not the 1990’s)

Right so 😐

Id say a good bet there song will be like something that was last relevant in the 90s if that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭supereurope

Yeah, I was surprised about the outrage about Loreen winning last year. Everyone loved her after 2012, she became a Eurovision legend and icon, she came back, won again, and now a sizeable number of contest fans hate her. I guess partly because she didn't win the televote, therefore she wasn't "the people's winner" (but Duncan or Jamala didn't win it either, and no one seems to regard their wins as illegitimate), partly because Käärja managed to build such a cult around himself that he became more of a fan favourite than Loreen and some couldn't accept that he didn't win.

We've had two years of "real winner" rubbish (Spanish fans saying that Chanel would 100% have won had Ukraine not taken part in 2022, and then Loreen/Käärja last year), I really hope this year there is a winner everyone can get behind.

Post edited by supereurope on

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Ailsha's track is out now with better sound mixing, she's actually able to be heard now!

https://open.spotify.com/track/1N3XD3Fz1Brtzsu7ghjqSV?si=bOTPIRCnS7mpy2IJEjWmtw

Still need some changes to the mixing but it's a welcome improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭squonk

that song is headed in the right direction but why are songs not done and dusted by now? We’ve all known since last Feb that the LLS end of Jan date was likely set in stone. I can see an act has to write the right song and get some good production behind it but even the mix posted above sounds like it’s still in preproduction. That’s part the problem right there. No fan of Roy Keane but he’s kind of right in the whole “Fail to prepare… prepare to fail” mantra. This to me says that if you can’t even get a decent mix of your song out when it’s getting national exposure, it doesn’t seem likely you will produce the greatest live show either.

I’m surprised Ray D’Arcy is doing these previews anyway. I’m pretty sure that nobody in the Eurovision target demographic listens to RTÉ radio one in the afternoon I am the demographic and even I listen to Scott Mills. There should be a simultaneous preview. With 2FM which surely is more the target audience?

Again, the Late Late is the wrong medium for all of this anyway. In my opinion, the international jury should have a bigger say in what gets through.

As for Louis Walsh, he is welcome to enter, but in no way should his entry be seriously considered. Seeing as most of the big boy bands are now back touring, having reformed and performing on the nostalgia circuit when their fans are now more concerned with HRT then Smash Hits, His boat has well and truly sailed.

I’m not even sure I’ll bother watching the late late Eurovision show this year. Last year was a disaster. Anything that sounds unique or would make us stand out won’t get through. Even if it does, we won’t be doing what most other countries are doing and sending our act on a mini tour, or blasting social media with the song. Frankly, the song won’t be ready for starters. We certainly won’t have any epic stage to show at this stage. Honestly, RTÉ should have been preparing all of these acts since last November with decent production, put in place, a lot of workshop on staging, and there should be a decent package put together for all entrants. . I get the feeling there’s more spent kitting out a single couple for dancing with the stairs on a particular week than there is for any of the Eurovision shortlist acts really.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

We should just send the ‘Irish women in harmony’. If we are forced to listen to these cackling hens here in Ireland, then rest of Europe should have to endure the same.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So we have the final song, 'Love Like Us' will be sang by Louis Walsh's boyband 'Next In Line'. Honestly I think it exceeded my expectations. Nothing Earth-shattering, but perfectly pleasant to listen to. On first listen I think they'll be a contender at Eurosong, but I'm really not sure there's any appetite for a boyband at Eurovision in 2024.

Advertisement